Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I had just received my £150 Ohme charger with commando plug. This retails at £400 so well work a look. Overall I think it will be cheaper than going down the OLEV grant route.

I have bought a 32 amp IP67 wall socket from amazon for £40 which I will run back to a 32amp circuit at my fuse box, local electrician will do the connection at the fuse box. 6mm twin and earth for the job will cost £20/30.

If you find this useful and would like to become an Octopus customer to take advantage of this offer then my referral link is here
Cheers !

P.S. Which ever wall socket you go for my understanding is that it should be interlocking, this prevents the terminals going live if the plug isn't inserted.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Aha, another shameless referral plug...😉

Yes, the socket should be interlocked. And the bit you've missed is that a circuit intended for charging an EV needs additional earthing protection as discussed ad nauseam in other threads. Basically, either an earth rod or a protective device that detects neutral faults.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha, another shameless referral plug...😉

Yes, the socket should be interlocked. And the bit you've missed is that a circuit intended for charging an EV needs additional earthing protection as discussed ad nauseam in other threads. Basically, either an earth rod or a protective device that detects neutral faults.
Shameless yes, however I'm more than happy if this is helpful to the community.

Can you summarise the device that detect neutral faults, can this be achieved close to the fuse box?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Shameless yes, however I'm more than happy if this is helpful to the community.

Can you summarise the device that detect neutral faults, can this be achieved close to the fuse box?
Matt:E is the most common device - yes, a box that goes in between the supply and the socket.

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
The OHME needs a dedicated Type A RCBO to comply with regulations. Also (as above) in most cases it needs protection for neutral faults, either as TT Island (earth rod) or with a suitable protection device. Attached is OHME note.

A new circuit is notifiable work under building control so make sure the electrican can self certify and provides a certificate. Solicitors ask for these when you sell your house these days so important to have.

Edit - Added illustration of PEN fault

Attachments

Reactions: jeffUK and dk6780
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.