Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems EVs are popular enough around here - Cambridge - that installers are using the "think of a number and double it" technique for quotes.

Super simple installation (industrial unit with plenty of access and no supply upgrades needed) but somehow a 22kW Zappi is prices at a Big Mac less than £1500. The second installer guessed at £1300+.

Suppose I may have to buy a charger myself and get an electrician to install...

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you're not going the OLEV route, then that would certainly be cheaper I think

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
202 Posts
WE had a quote for a zappi instal:

The price to install a Zappi EV Charger and the HUB is £1,400 + VAT. The
OLEV grant will reduce this by £350 so the total cost for you to pay is
£1,050 + VAT

We're in Lincoln, so prices do seem steep in many areas.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It's supply vs demand. They're quoting that high because they can; probably because they're so busy that don't really need the extra work. Probably a great time to setup a charger installation business.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No idea on prices, but have you tried Artisan Electrics, Cambridge based and I came across their videos on YouTube. I can’t see that it would be significantly more work to connect a 3 phase charger, although I suspect the units are a higher price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I work for the Electric Vehicle Consumer Code for Home Chargepoints. We are a non for profit who run other codes and schemes too including the Chartered Trading Standards approved code RECC. EVCC raises standards for installers of home chargepoints and is there to protect consumers. Should you choose an EVCC member then they must comply with our standards which apply to sales, the contract, cancellation rights, after sales etc. We also have a dispute resolution service.

Regarding pricing, we do not say what member installers must charge but the code says they must 'present price information clearly. Any discounts offered must be explained and must be from a realistic genuine price e.g. one at which the Code Member can show that they have made a significant number of installs of Chargepoints.

Where extra work needs to be done the member needs to tell you about costs for extra work and you must agree this, before they do work.
When a Consumer receives the final invoice, there should be no unexpected items compared with the quotation, unless they have been agreed beforehand in a written variation of contract signed by the Consumer to include any impact on the cost and the completion date.'

Our current members are listed on our website. If you are worried then an EVCC member installer should provide you with certain protections and adhere to our standards.

Good luck with you chargepoint install.
Lorraine, EVCC

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No idea on prices, but have you tried Artisan Electrics, Cambridge based and I came across their videos on YouTube. I can’t see that it would be significantly more work to connect a 3 phase charger, although I suspect the units are a higher price.
They are coming to quote early next week. (Fingers crossed!)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, I work for the Electric Vehicle Consumer Code for Home Chargepoints. We are a non for profit who run other codes and schemes too including the Chartered Trading Standards approved code RECC. EVCC raises standards for installers of home chargepoints and is there to protect consumers. Should you choose an EVCC member then they must comply with our standards which apply to sales, the contract, cancellation rights, after sales etc. We also have a dispute resolution service.

Regarding pricing, we do not say what member installers must charge but the code says they must 'present price information clearly. Any discounts offered must be explained and must be from a realistic genuine price e.g. one at which the Code Member can show that they have made a significant number of installs of Chargepoints.

Where extra work needs to be done the member needs to tell you about costs for extra work and you must agree this, before they do work.
When a Consumer receives the final invoice, there should be no unexpected items compared with the quotation, unless they have been agreed beforehand in a written variation of contract signed by the Consumer to include any impact on the cost and the completion date.'

Our current members are listed on our website. If you are worried then an EVCC member installer should provide you with certain protections and adhere to our standards.

Good luck with you chargepoint install.
Lorraine, EVCC
Thanks Lorraine, however I can see only about 12 approved installers on your site and none in my area.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line & Hyundai Ioniq 38kW Premium
39 Posts
Wow, such high prices. I only paid £700 (after grant) for my Zappi v2 install with hub.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
It seems EVs are popular enough around here - Cambridge - that installers are using the "think of a number and double it" technique for quotes.

Super simple installation (industrial unit with plenty of access and no supply upgrades needed) but somehow a 22kW Zappi is prices at a Big Mac less than £1500. The second installer guessed at £1300+.

Does it need to be a Zappi?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does it need to be a Zappi?
Not at all, but in my calls/emails so far, I think installers are pushing Zappi. I mean 'pushing', too - even when I say I don't need any 'smarts' they seem to be reluctant to suggest simpler alternatives. I wonder if Zappi has some sort of reward scheme for the installers?:unsure:

I have to get to the bottom of whether the Zappi is happy rebooting every morning. Because I intend to switch it off every night via an indoor isolator switch. So every morning it would have to reboot and - presumably - reconnect to the mothership (or whatever).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,181 Posts
Not at all, but in my calls/emails so far, I think installers are pushing Zappi. I mean 'pushing', too - even when I say I don't need any 'smarts' they seem to be reluctant to suggest simpler alternatives. I wonder if Zappi has some sort of reward scheme for the installers?:unsure:

I have to get to the bottom of whether the Zappi is happy rebooting every morning. Because I intend to switch it off every night via an indoor isolator switch. So every morning it would have to reboot and - presumably - reconnect to the mothership (or whatever).
According to Artisan Electrics videos, they prefer the Zappi as it means not having to fit an earth rod or other earth protection device, because the Zappi has all that built in.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
According to Artisan Electrics videos, they prefer the Zappi as it means not having to fit an earth rod or other earth protection device, because the Zappi has all that built in.
An earth rod doesn't cost £500 and reliable and low maintenance cost.

I suggest a little research, decide which charger ( non Zappi) you want and then ask for quotes for supply and install and install only.

·
Registered
326 Posts

22kw chargers are more expensive than 7kw.
5 core cable is more expensive than 3 core.
3 phase mcbs are more expensive than single phase.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^ I know, but none of that explains the much higher labour cost. I really don't think the installer is going to be here 2 or 3 days.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
^ I know, but none of that explains the much higher labour cost. I really don't think the installer is going to be here 2 or 3 days.
Hi Goldtop, I just checked the website of a seller of quality EVSEs and 3 phase 22kW units are selling at £540 including VAT. But of course your particular requirements may up the price (special vandal resistant design?, rfid access? etc etc)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't know much about Zappi, do they have their own installers? But if it's a "standard" install 10/15 metres of cable which can be clipped direct or added to a cable tray and doesn't need a separate cu installed then it's a day job.

Is the price with olev Included?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
At present landlords are having to get electricity safety reports, it cost me £175 for a 2 bed Cambridge property, an electrician can do 4 in a day without even needing to get dusty. There is also no need to visit to do a quote and lettings agents are booking 100s at a time.

In a few months there will be little demand for them over the next 5 years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts