Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have my zappi installed, set to 80A grid limit and the rest of the house has fairly low electric usage. No electric shower, no electric hob, no electric water heating (all gas).

Seems to me like 80A is fine - but I contacted the DNO just to check in case it was a free upgrade. most of that cost is labour, quoting £166 for three hours (plus VAT)

My initial thinking is to just leave it as-is.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I think I read here somewhere that some DNOs (Western Power?) are getting twitchy about upgrading fuses to 100A, so there might be a risk that if you don't do it now it will be a problem to do it in the future.

Other than that I would say if you need more capacity in the future (heat pump, 2nd EVSE, etc) just factor in you will have to upgrade the fuse at the same time (which will likely be a small part of the total cost)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
If your household use is generally low 80A will be fine. If you plan to add a heat pump, perhaps additional electric water heating, switch to electric cooking, then it’s quite easy to have draw over 80A. Whether you do in reality what with diversity calculations is another matter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would not bother.

We did change from 80A to 100A as it then allowed us to migrate from Octopus Go (4 hour off peak @ 5p) to Octopus Go Faster (3 hour off peak @ 4.5p). This raised our max draw from 19kW to 23kW. To use that we have 3xPW and 2xZappi. The Powerwalls would happily charge at 15kW and the Zappis would charge the cars limiting the total draw to 23kW.

If you don't have the demand, why spend the money?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
79 Posts
Preparing to having my Zappi installed, the DNO Western Power came to check my fuse, and upgrade it to 80A if it wasn't already 80. They came, checked, it was 100A so they left it alone. There was no charge, and I believe there wasn't going to be a charge if they needed to upgrade to 80A either.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Does it take more than a minute to change the fuse plus it's cost a couple of quid ?

Ridiculous price but it's a monopoly only the energy board can touch it so take it or leave it unfortunately. If you don't need the extra capacity no need to upgrade it.

We have triple phase and 100 on each phase so not an issue for us.

I had a Pod Point installed today, it has a current sense clamp so it's standard to install these now with all high draw installations I think.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Does it take more than a minute to change the fuse plus it's cost a couple of quid ?

Ridiculous price but it's a monopoly only the energy board can touch it so take it or leave it unfortunately. If you don't need the extra capacity no need to upgrade it.

We have triple phase and 100 on each phase so not an issue for us.

I had a Pod Point installed today, it has a current sense clamp so it's standard to install these now with all high draw installations I think.
Remember the tails between the service head and meter may need upgading too (16mm is standard and 25mm is required for 100A)

Out of interest, what was installed for PEN fault detection on your 3 phase property for your podpoint install? The built in protection is not compliant on a 3 phase supply.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sent them a photo of the meter and tails and they’re 100A ready (done when Scottish power updated the meter). My guess is they still have to do some due diligence and allow 3 hours as a fixed time job just in case. In my case I likely wouldn’t need that but they’ll still charge it - others may need longer

I also am guessing they charger for 100A but wouldn’t have for 80A. Going to skip it anyway

·
Registered
713 Posts
Remember the tails between the service head and meter may need upgading too (16mm is standard and 25mm is required for 100A)

Out of interest, what was installed for PEN fault detection on your 3 phase property for your podpoint install? The built in protection is not compliant on a 3 phase supply.

The installer did explain this to me but to be honest my eyes glazed over. Basically it has to be installed with what they call a "Pod pen box"

It's connected to one of the phases where it branches from the mains isolation. The installer described it as its own mini consumer unit with its own RCD protection etc. Something similar to what a garage would have for it's supply.

Pic attached. In addition to this it has the taper switch. He did a really good job to be honest vey neat installation put the charger exactly where I wanted it even though it was about a metre further than the 15m they allow for. Very pleased with it a bargain for £499 really. Only took a week from ordering to installation as well.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,024 Posts
My DNO charged £150 for that fuse upgrade. It took the guy 10 minutes.

I reckon that they are saving the surplus for the day they need to upgrade the cable in the street.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The installer did explain this to me but to be honest my eyes glazed over. Basically it has to be installed with what they call a "Pod pen box"

It's connected to one of the phases where it branches from the mains isolation. The installer described it as its own mini consumer unit with its own RCD protection etc. Something similar to what a garage would have for it's supply.

Pic attached. In addition to this it has the taper switch. He did a really good job to be honest vey neat installation put the charger exactly where I wanted it even though it was about a metre further than the 15m they allow for. Very pleased with it a bargain for £499 really. Only took a week from ordering to installation as well.

View attachment 143208
Ta. Photo slightly blurred but appears to quote indent (iv) is not compliant for a 3 phase property.

·
Registered
713 Posts
"Ta. Photo slightly blurred but appears to quote indent (iv) is not compliant for a 3 phase property."

I would be surprised if they have fitted something that is non compliant tbh. It's Pod Point they are a big company, they knew it was 3 phase supply from application photos etc.

Also he had to take photos of everything to document what has been done, presumably to cover their backs.

It's on its own circuit with its own RCD plus a current sense clamp attached to that phase. So if it detects more current being draw that should be it will throttle back it's own consumption automatically.

It's completely independent from the rest of my wiring and other consumer units ,on its own independant circuit.

He also put it on the phase with the lowest load (no electric ovens etc it's for the upper floors so only lighting really which is all LED anyway).

There was a block with a spare outlet coming directly off the phase from the mains isolation switch.

The mini consumer unit is all metal etc. I can't see how it could be installed any more safely but then I am not an electrician.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
"Ta. Photo slightly blurred but appears to quote indent (iv) is not compliant for a 3 phase property."

I would be surprised if they have fitted something that is non compliant tbh. It's Pod Point they are a big company, they knew it was 3 phase supply from application photos etc.

Also he had to take photos of everything to document what has been done, presumably to cover their backs.

It's on its own circuit with its own RCD plus a current sense clamp attached to that phase. So if it detects more current being draw that should be it will throttle back it's own consumption automatically.

It's completely independent from the rest of my wiring and other consumer units ,on its own independant circuit.

He also put it on the phase with the lowest load (no electric ovens etc it's for the upper floors so only lighting really which is all LED anyway).

There was a block with a spare outlet coming directly off the phase from the mains isolation switch.

The mini consumer unit is all metal etc. I can't see how it could be installed any more safely but then I am not an electrician.
Its about PEN fault protection.

It's amazing how much gets done non compliantly in the regs. See below. Installation means your entire property.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I will have to take your word for it Pod Point do commercial installations at offices etc. Surely they have a system and installers that work with triple phase ?

From what I can see there is no way to install it any more safely..... That's the charger

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.