Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Capital Economics suggested that fleshing out the UK's charging network will cost £45.9bn between now and 2050. There are even fears that the electricity grid won't be able to cope as thousands more EVs get plugged in by their new owners.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
What a load of guff. What the people in the know say in that article.

"A National Grid spokeswoman told the BBC that the anticipated increase of in electricity demand of 10% that is expected from EVs is "entirely manageable" because peak demand has fallen by 16% in the UK since 2002, due to efficiency gains. "

Who paid for the research that came up with the £45.9 billion ?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,222 Posts
Right, but it was not the substance of the article. It was just a one line throw-away "There are even fears that the electricity grid won't be able to cope as thousands more EVs get plugged in by their new owners." which is factually correct, there are such fears, whether founded or not.

(I love EVangelists over-protective over-reactions. It's so cute!)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
...It was just a one line throw-away "There are even fears that the electricity grid won't be able to cope as thousands more EVs get plugged in by their new owners." which is factually correct, there are such fears, whether founded or not.
And it may well be true, in some localities.

·
Registered
17,437 Posts
The title should be something like:

“Power companies see an opportunity for increased sales and investment due to electric car boom”

I mean if demand for ICE vehicles was forecast to increase, you wouldn’t find Shell and BP complaining they’d run out of oil to dig out of the ground.

·
29,222 Posts
In Spain it might be "Oportunidad para más subvenciones de la UE"?

Wot you doing there anyway? Evading Brexit?

·
Registered
733 Posts
There’s no shortage of power at 2.00 am and although not everybody can charge at home, workplace charging will become more common and that can be timed to avoid the worst peaks which occur around rush hours (extended).

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,103 Posts

"A National Grid spokeswoman told the BBC that the anticipated increase of in electricity demand of 10% that is expected from EVs is "entirely manageable" because peak demand has fallen by 16% in the UK since 2002, due to efficiency gains. "

Who paid for the research that came up with the £45.9 billion ?
It's capital economics. I learned a long time ago they were clueless.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
468 Posts
Capital Economics suggested that fleshing out the UK's charging network will cost £45.9bn between now and 2050. There are even fears that the electricity grid won't be able to cope as thousands more EVs get plugged in by their new owners.
This all assumes people want their cars fully charged as soon as they get home, say 5pm. Which is not the case. People want their cars to have sufficient charge for their next trip, which for most people will be the next day. For most people that charge can happen in the quiet overnight hours. Let's have some intelligence here.

And hopefully when V2G kicks off the grid will be saying a big thank you to EVs for helping stem the demand from households using batteries in EVs to smooth the curve and reduce the demand for gas powered plants. So EVs instead of causing the problem may well actuallly be the solution!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
EVs instead of causing the problem may well actuallly be the solution!
Well said. Average EV needs 5kWh/day @ 8000 miles/year. In the last 10 years my average consumption has gone from 14 kWh/ day to 5 kWh/day. So even with an EV my consumtion of electricity will be way down. Vehicle to Grid will be a massive saver. I just cannot see the local or national grid having anything but minor problems if the cars are charged most of the time at a time to suit the grid. As I said the article is just self serving guff.

PS apparently there is a large amount of electricity used in refining fossil fuels which will also not be needed.

Reactions: Neilew and Savvy

·
29,222 Posts
PS apparently there is a large amount of electricity used in refining fossil fuels which will also not be needed.
2kWh per gallon.

Let's kill the wild speculation before it ends up as more electricity than the petrol could generate.

·
Registered
17,437 Posts
2kWh per gallon.

Let's kill the wild speculation before it ends up as more electricity than the petrol could generate.
Does that figure include all the infrastructure required to get it to the pump?

Apparently ICE users burn petrol just getting to somewhere they can fill up their car. Crazy I know. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
This all assumes people want their cars fully charged as soon as they get home, say 5pm. Which is not the case. People want their cars to have sufficient charge for their next trip, which for most people will be the next day. For most people that charge can happen in the quiet overnight hours. Let's have some intelligence here.

And hopefully when V2G kicks off the grid will be saying a big thank you to EVs for helping stem the demand from households using batteries in EVs to smooth the curve and reduce the demand for gas powered plants. So EVs instead of causing the problem may well actuallly be the solution!
Before I bought my car I had lengthy discussions with Ovo and after 7 weeks Western Power said they had no capacity to accept any more micro generation as there are so many solar panels around!
I am now on Octopus Go

·
Registered
2,752 Posts

·
29,222 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Who actually cares really?

You'll get the same old people arguing the toss like you do in all threads, convincing themselves (and maybe others) that they are right and others are wrong, but last time I checked not a single one of you could predict the future.

So face it don't waste your time and just come back to this thread in 2050, via the Internet archive, and find out if you were right or way off the mark, or you may be dead by then. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts