Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - whilst I have have been using this site for 2-3 years I never signed-up because I knew I would be there at midnight correcting people & I already spend too much time on the Tesla Owner's Group! Must ration my EV opinions.

However, I am after some advice. My 2011 Gen1/Mk1 Leaf is no longer spraying water at the front or rear windscreen. Before ringing Nissan I assumed it was the pump, but that I would be forced to buy the whole reservoir as is the way nowadays. I was not expecting the cost to be £449.65. The chap on the parts desk did not think any other Nissan reservoir bottle would work.

Has anyone else encountered this and found a cheap workaround? I know I must check the fuses and blockages, but I cannot hear the pump even trying to work.

·
937 Posts
Is that just the cost of the part, or did it include fitting. They can be buried deep in some cars, so difficult to get to in order to replace.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Before ordering anything, you (or someone else) will need to confirm which part of the circuit is at fault, because you don't want to pay £450 to not fix the problem. You should have 12v at the washer pump when operating the washers, with the polarity reversed when operating the rear.

On all makes and models it is common for the internal seals in the pump to fail after a few years and the pump motor then fails.

I don't know about the Leaf in particular, but normally washer pumps are available seperately from the reservoir, and aftermarket pumps for around £15. The pump will be a push-fit into the reservoir with a chunky rubber O-ring, although you may need to remove the front bumper to get to it.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I'd be really surprised if it isn't a Micra or similar washer bottle. Worth getting the part number and comparing.

Having said that, I had an Astra which, a decade ago, cost me £350 for a new washer pump!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the pump and bottle and it does look like the whole of the front bumper has to be removed to even take a look at it and check all wires are connected, although I will try to look underneath. It was just the parts desk I spoke to and even he said "wow", I was in shock so did not enquire about installation included or not.

upload_2016-10-20_14-38-47.png

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Removing the bumper takes a few screws.

upload_2016-10-20_14-46-6.png

Reactions: David Harvey

·
Super Moderator
12,293 Posts
I'd be really surprised if it isn't a Micra
The LEAF is supposed to be derived from their B0 platform. For us, that is the Juke, NV200 and Note. I've read it also share some bits with the Altima which is not sold here.

As I've said before, it will be absurd parts prices that take most of the cars off the road.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are two on eBay breaking for spares, just search Nissan Leaf breaking, (can't do link on my phone I'm over 8 yrs old )
Found them! The Gen2 one has already been sold. Leaf spares must be like gold dust. I was worried that I had used half of my Model S general warranty in a year of ownership, had not thought about the Leaf making me weep.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,720 Posts
No way is that pump worth £450, they have probably got the decimal point in the wrong place, £45 would also be way too expensive, £4.50 is more likely the right price.

Just bought a Grundfos central heating pump for £99 and that is an enormous metal lump compared to the diddy little plastic thing in the Leaf.

·
Super Moderator
12,293 Posts
Many UK LEAF parts are very expensive. Some of them are far cheaper in the US but getting them here is a problem. There also isn't a guarantee they will work since the cars are not identical.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,720 Posts
I would be wary of trying to replace the washer pump with a universal pump, it looks as though the Leaf pump services both the front and rear screen wash jets, it probably does this by using a check valve or reversing the rotation of the pump, also the wash is probably connected to the wipe function so when you do a wash it automatically does a wipe, probably controlled via Can Bus.

Found this EBay listing which seems to mention the part number.

NISSAN OEM 13-16 Leaf Wiper Washer-Windshield Fluid-Reservoir Tank 289103NF0A | eBay

If the US ones are the same as the UK ones I can arrange to get it here for a very reasonable cost, the down side is it would take a few weeks because it will come over by sea, shipping within the States is usually free now so the total cost of something from EBay costing $100 would be MUCH less than $150 ;)

PM me if you need something shipped from the States.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good spot richtrash. That one only fits 2013 onwards, but I did find one that fits 2011 for about the same price. Using the same part code I then found a UK based website, which looks cheaper than Nissan direct and is new/genuine, but is still a scary amount of £350 for some plastic and a small pump. There is no specific urgency, but needs sorting as it would be an MOT fail and winter is coming! Will keep searching and may be in touch. Thx.

Nissan 289103NA0A TANK ASSY-WINDS

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
738 Posts
I've done loads of washer pumps in my time ( I'm a mechanic) & not had to remove a single bumper to access a washer pump, I've just had a quick look at mine & I reckon if you remove the plastic splash trim under the wheel arch and possibly loosen the small plastic cover under corner of the bumper you should be able to pull out the pump but leave washer bottle in place... Take the pump into a good & helpful after market parts supplier they should be able to find a match :)
This assumes that as above, you've checked you have power to the pump 1st..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for a little thread hijack, but where do you get those installation pictures from?
I'm looking for the same for the rear bumper as I need to take it off to install some parking sensors.
Nissan Leaf Factory Service Manuals Scroll to the year model and in the index you will find appropriate pages eg WW stands for windscreen washer, ext stands for external (I think) and that has the bumper removal blow-ups.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thanks a Ton, that is really useful. That gives a full description for how to remove the rear bumper which certainly is one less thing to worry about :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No worries BSven. I have been considering the rear parking sensor upgrade myself, so perhaps you can update us on your success...possibly photos along the way!

Reactions: BSven

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
We have a pile of leaf spares. If it is just the pump you need it'd be something like £20.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts