Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was getting some bad wear on the inside wall of the drivers side front tyre so I took it to my local tyre shop to get the front two tyres replaced. Anyway after they completed the job they said that the OSF lower ball joint and NSF track rod end need replacing and I should get them replaced asap. So I look around for a quote and so far the only place to give me a quote was my local nissan garage, which quoted £475. This seems pretty steep to me, I was expecting < £250. No other garages have gave me a quote so far and some have said they wont work on electric cars as they are not trained to do it. So could anyone tell me if the amount quoted is about right or should I keep looking around for a cheaper quote? MY Leaf is a 13 plate and has 83000 miles and so not under warranty.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You will need a wheel alignment after replacing the trackrod end.

Probably best to get a Nissan dealer to do the job: a bad garage can create a lot of new problems if the job is not done correctly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Amazon are doing some pretty reasonably priced parts at the moment. OE quality Delphi track control arm ball joint and N/S track rod end are less than £30 for the pair . ( TA2676 & TC2431 )
I would hope you could hand these items to a competent local mechanic who's not scared of electric cars and end up with a total spend quite a bit less than £475 o_O

·
Registered
557 Posts
These parts are pretty much bolt off bolt on these days. Worst case angle grinder/heat to remove remembering counting threads first etc. So with some prep it's not to difficult to get the alignment pretty much there. Fortunately I have access to garage tools. Cheers

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
These items require some skill in fitting.

I recently replaced two track rod ends, due to tiny shimmy at 80 mph+

Good brand, Febi, NOT FAKE, thread yielded on one at way less than proper tightening torque.

Be careful.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good brand, Febi, NOT FAKE, thread yielded on one at way less than proper tightening torque.

Odd, never had that happen even with the cheapest parts. Definitely not a job to be taking on if not absolutely confident in your abilities though it must be said, big problems if a tie rod end pops off while on the road :oops:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Yes odd, heat treatment problem?

Anyhow, I wasn't sure what I felt, slept on it. Decided next day I had better dismantle, check. The NUT should have stripped first, but no it was the threaded stub from the ball joint.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My local garage (one man band) will fit my parts on the disclaimer that any issues its down to me. After 10 years not had any issues done all filters each year shocks front and rear. Just pay his hourly rate. Asked about my leaf and hes happy to do mechanical bits not so keen on electrics.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
All the parts required are not special nor unique to the leaf. They are in fact Nissan Juke parts. I bought all OEM parts, cost about £200 and fitted them myself.

I did have the tools mind you, if you don't (and I am talking real tools not cheap crap) then its best to let Nissan do it. The bolts were dead tight, corroded and required the heat torch on them.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I wonder if post #10 included wheel alignment in the overall cost. If not, tyre life may be a lot less than expected.

·
Registered
84 Posts
its best to let Nissan do it.

Over 30 years of car ownership I've generally found main dealership service and repair to be extremely poor value.
Far better to find a competent local mechanic who cares about his reputation and getting repeat business.

The OP's repair would involve a Nissan dealer whacking on a complete lower arm and track rod end, probably costing them less than £50 wholesale.
I could probably do the job on my driveway in 2 hours so they'll easily do it in less time than that . So £200 an hour ?

No thanks :(

·
Registered
902 Posts
Is that a question.

Basically one gets what one pays for. A £15 wheel alignment is either a bargain or it would be a shonky job beyond description.
Usually a sentence followed by the "?" mark means a question :p

My trusted garage, you know the one I go because they always do a good job :), if is a stand alone job they will charge £15 for wheel alignment, if with other repairs it will be included.
The only place I would think it is always charged separately would be Ryan Air :p:p

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Over 30 years of car ownership I've generally found main dealership service and repair to be extremely poor value.
Far better to find a competent local mechanic who cares about his reputation and getting repeat business.

The OP's repair would involve a Nissan dealer whacking on a complete lower arm and track rod end, probably costing them less than £50 wholesale.
I could probably do the job on my driveway in 2 hours so they'll easily do it in less time than that . So £200 an hour ?

No thanks :(
That is true, but then again whist garages do get a discount I don't believe its as low as that. FYI the lower trans-arm cost about £150 including VAT.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Certainly I've paid more than £15 for a job, all fancy gauges and flashing lights, that totally wrecked the handling, trashing the drive not to mention the tyres.. I've also paid quite a lot more to people who actually know what they are doing, not a big chain, who bothered to get the ride heights to spec before adjusting anything. The steering wheel was bang on straight too, no rear axle thrust offset.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts