Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
9,444 Posts
That's a bit pants, I'm sure the fact that Renault looked after this for you was the main reason many folk picked a Zoe as their first EV.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Can those who haven't got an ev by that date still get a grant towards fitting a charger?
Don't see why not - the OLEV grant is separate. Renault just made up the difference so you effectively got a free charger.

(unless they are scrapping the OLEV grant? Haven't heard anything about that, but last year they reduced it with barely any notification)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In he past 6m or so we'd had nothing but issues with BP Chargemaster/BP Pulse, which I feel reflected (wrongly) badly upon Renault, many customers were just dicked about by them with poor communication and service and this was reflected back on us at dealer level, Renault and the car so from that respect, dropping the tie in and contribution is a good idea as it is then down to the new customer to organise one and it doesn't throw in a 3rd party which is endorsed by Renault and another element which is out of dealer/Renault control to cause issues, which is directly tied in with the purchase of the car.

Will it have a detrimental effect on the popularity of ZOE, who knows, I guess we will find out in a few months when it is suddenly re-instated or there is an offer of a charge point.

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
762 Posts
In he past 6m or so we'd had nothing but issues with BP Chargemaster
Seemed perfectly fine with me, and with trying to sort out the initial charge issue (which was found to be a supply issue which Power Networks fixed). No complaints here.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Ignoring that some people had issues with Pulse (aka Chargemaster, Polar, etc) I think it is bad news as it will encourage more people to use the 13A portable EVSE (aka granny) rather than get a safer, faster and more efficient charging point installed. I think that all BEVs should have £350 from manufacturer and £350 from OLEV towards a charging point as a condition of the PICG. Ideally as vouchers (similar to workplace charging) so buyers can shop around.

On that topic, will the Zoe now come with a portable 13A charger - mine didn't.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
No, my wife has just ordered a Zoe GT Line Rapid Charge and the 10 A granny charger is a ludicrously priced optional extra (£514!).
Yeah, the genuine one is expensive. I got a great deal on a barely used one from a chap on here and kept it when I sold ZE40. A lot of people buy used Tesla UMC2 to use with Zoe as having 16A and 32A options on relevant commando sockets is pretty handy. They are always a few on ebay.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate Long Range RWD in Gravity Gold, Eco & Tech packs
269 Posts
Ignoring that some people had issues with Pulse (aka Chargemaster, Polar, etc) I think it is bad news as it will encourage more people to use the 13A portable EVSE (aka granny) rather than get a safer, faster and more efficient charging point installed. I think that all BEVs should have £350 from manufacturer and £350 from OLEV towards a charging point as a condition of the PICG. Ideally as vouchers (similar to workplace charging) so buyers can shop around.

On that topic, will the Zoe now come with a portable 13A charger - mine didn't.
All Zoes don't come with a Granny Cable, maybe now that Renault are no longer contributing towards a charge point, they will?

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Yeah, the genuine one is expensive. I got a great deal on a barely used one from a chap on here and kept it when I sold ZE40. A lot of people buy used Tesla UMC2 to use with Zoe as having 16A and 32A options on relevant commando sockets is pretty handy. They are always a few on ebay.
I just made one for her, cost less than a cheapo Screwfix one (I think the Screwfix ones are now around £140), and has decent quality cable and components. There are a fair few cheap ones around on places like ebay, but unless they are a known brand I think they need to be treated with caution. I did a PAT test for someone on one a couple of years ago, and found that the line and neutral were swapped inside the thing, plus the plug wasn't compliant with BS1363, it had a partly insulated earth pin. Being suspicious I checked it out and it was advertising 12 A to the charger, which isn't safe, as the maximum allowable continuous current through a BS1363 "13 A" plug is 10 A. I've heard reports of portable charge points set to 16 A, too, a pretty much guaranteed recipe for overheating. A 13 A BS1362 fuse (as fitted to a normal BS1363 plug) will tolerate 16 A forever, as it won't blow until 20 A is exceeded.

The UMC is OK with a 16 A or 32 A commando, as, unlike most portable charge points it has pretty good fault protection, that will tolerate some DC without blinding. The outlet used still needs open PEN fault protection though, if part of a TN-C-S/PME installation.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Seemed perfectly fine with me, and with trying to sort out the initial charge issue (which was found to be a supply issue which Power Networks fixed). No complaints here.
No issue here either. More trouble getting the isolation switch fitted, which was outside their control. Found them to be professional and efficient. Shame their public network isn't as good!

I figured that Renault use them because they've worked with them to ensure the Zoe is fully compatible and there will be no issues - people could potentially hit unanticipated problems if they shop around.

·
Registered
Renault Zoé ZE50 R135 Intens
130 Posts
Tesla UMC2
Interesting. I've been shopping around for something juicebox-like but that isn't the equivalent of a year of lease payments. I've just read up on the Tesla UMC, info actually is pretty spotty. But it seems the UMC1 is three phase, where as the UMC2 is single-phase. Has anyone tested the UMC1 with the OEM CEE RED adapter, can you get 11-22kW charging on Zoé?

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,443 Posts
Has anyone tested the UMC1 with the OEM CEE RED adapter, can you get 11-22kW charging on Zoé?
Do not use the Tesla UMC on the Zoe with three phase!

Both the UMC and Zoe will break and it will cost you thousands to fix.

This is due to the way the UMC handles the three phases in conjunction with the Tesla’s OBC (or something).

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Yeah, I said UMC2 for good reason because as @cah197 says accidentally connecting a UMC1 to 3 phase and Zoe can be rather expensive...

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
Renault Zoé ZE50 R135 Intens
130 Posts
Ok, will take your word for it, but other than the UMC transforming to another voltage (unlikely given the size) I'm struggling to understand how this could actually happen... Power is power. Any electrical engineers with insight purely out of curiosity?

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,443 Posts
Ok, will take your word for it, but other than the UMC transforming to another voltage (unlikely given the size) I'm struggling to understand how this could actually happen... Power is power. Any electrical engineers with insight purely out of curiosity?
It's to do with how the Tesla on board charger handles the phases, versus the Zoe's.

in other words the UMC Type 2 socket isn't outputting to the Type 2 standard for 3-phase.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts