Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
When you say "It broke", did you mean YOU broke it? I'm sure if Renault deemed it a manufacturing fault it would be replaced foc under warranty.

If they thought you broke it somehow plugging in or unplugging a bit heavy handed then yes, you would be expected to pay.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Renault warned me that the plastic strip down the edge of the windscreen which was supplied damaged on my brand new Zoe might cost me £126 as anything classed as external trim is not covered before customer services said they "would see what they can do". That cover on my car gets very stiff to open in cold weather, there have been at least another couple of cases in the UK of the flap breaking off which I think were finally covered under warranty.

So far the cost of Renault parts has made me much less worried about switching to a BMW i3 when Zoe goes back.

·
Registered
750 Posts
£600 ffs! It seems with such low servicing costs on EV's, companies are trying to mug folk off with the spares and repairs.

I'd put a bit of gaffer tape over the flap to hold it in place.. jobs a good un.

Zoe has flaps on her ports Lol :p

·
Registered
699 Posts
technically the flap is'nt broke the hinge on the charge port is but 600 quid come on that's a joke id be tempted to first arladite the hinge back together

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
A bit like my Smeg kitchen extraction hood, one of the plastic light lens broke off, thought I could just get on site and buy it for a few quid.
Instead I have to buy a whole light unit for £90+ :eek:, so I left it as it is!!

What a rip off!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always taken care of my cars and so certainly not heavy handed. I was told to call Renault to see if they might pay some of the cost. To replace the whole charging port seems very wasteful on a vehicle that's deemed as eco friendly.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've always taken care of my cars and so certainly not heavy handed. I was told to call Renault to see if they might pay some of the cost. To replace the whole charging port seems very wasteful on a vehicle that's deemed as eco friendly.
You don't say if you have taken the matter further? Called Renault Customer Service and asked to escalate the complaint?

This may be better than uploading the issue. Renault may see it as a smear campaign and dig their heels in otherwise?

Just a thought:whistle:.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
This is the same issue for the LEAF CHAdeMO flap. If left open and you close the main charge cover, you can damage the flap. I have noticed several cars with damaged flaps, they still closed but would not open automatically as the spring mechanism was damaged. Again they can not be repaired (or not willing) and a whole socket must be purchased. So if you are looking to purchase an EV, check that they all work. Personally it's a Nissan design fault not allowing enough clearance, I wonder if the new 30kW was improved?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff, appreciate the feedback on the video and have yet to take it up with a phone call, it was a suggestion by someone in service. I am just stating fact that the piece has broken and what it would cost, whoever pays £600 to get it fixed. This is one of several videos I am making for my YouTube channel and I do love and sing the praises of the car elsewhere.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The two flaps open and close in opposite directions! Bad design I think, it would be easy in a moments lack of concentration to push the outside flap to close it, against the still open inside flap causing it to snap off.

A weather tight seal on the outside flap and do away with the inside one would be a far better design?

·
Registered
750 Posts
The two flaps open and close in opposite directions! Bad design I think, it would be easy in a moments lack of concentration to push the outside flap to close it, against the still open inside flap causing it to snap off.

A weather tight seal on the outside flap and do away with the inside one would be a far better design?
Yes, I think also some kind of sprung bung for each port, attached to the inside of the outer flap, so as you close the flap they automatically seal the charge ports.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Renault replaced mine on guarantee.
Interesting the flap is now rigid plastic rather than a floppy rubber one.
I too was amazed that the whole of the unit has to be replaced rather than just a flap

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,616 Posts
To replace the whole charging port seems very wasteful on a vehicle that's deemed as eco friendly.
Dead right. Cars and 'user technology' in general should be built for maintainability. There is a balance to get right between 'cheap-to-buy' and 'cheap-to-maintain' as they tend not to always go together, but little bits of fragile plastic should not bring about financial catastrophe.

·
Registered
886 Posts
that Zoe is full of bad design IMHO but you get what you pay for...

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,266 Posts
@bitmanev yup you got it cheap my friend!

Flap hinge ripped on mine too. Renault refused to replace it under warranty and the dealer, rather reluctantly, informed me the same sort of price point. Issue is it is (for them) one assembly from the connector on the BCB, the cable. all up to the connector and the plug lock. I politely refused. Chief mechanic put out a fair warning though. He said please fix it SOMEHOW as without it the connector will inevitably corrode and one day you'll be in charging trouble. Took that to heart.

I did manage to fix it myself. If you're interested, I'll make a picture tomorrow, but the basic gist is that the flimsy piece of rubbery plastic on the connector side (not the flap side) had ripped open. I managed to U shape a piece of nylon (cut off tie rib) over the opening and around the little axle and secure it with two component glue, resin, whatever you guys call that. Never came off.

One thing though, if you want to do this you have to remove the little metal cylinder that presses the flap in the open or closed position. The problem is caused by the pressure of that thing PLUS the broken part being way too thin. I am pretty convinced my "solution" would not hold with that piece in and anyway you'd never be able to secure the nylon under it's pressure.

ps: This post is a description of a way to get around the costs DIY style, it is not advice to do this. What I think of Renault's warranty refusal I will keep to myself, that's my choice. I have a polite request though, based on earlier experience: while this is a forum and free speech is a great thing, I kindly request to limit the "mine is on rental" - "it is dangerous" - "good luck with your next MOT" - "good luck with the insurance company" comments limited to maybe one or two please? Thanks so much!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,616 Posts
If it has happened to several users who are all acting 'reasonably' then it is a proven design fault, IMHO, and not 'damage'. Collect the anecdotes together and suggest a small claims group action against Renault. That might get them to fix the design rather than simply fobbing you all off.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts