I mean, just why?

More expensive than;
EV6
Ioniq 5
M3/MY
Polestar
Enyaq
EQA
....errrrr...... almost anything else....

Not that it matters, because there probably won't be one available for years, unless ( ;) ) VAG prioritise these over £30k ID.3's, because why not continue to make EV motoring too expensive for the masses when you can make twice as much for the same hardware cost?

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
Why?

I mean, just why?

More expensive than;
EV6
Ioniq 5
M3/MY
Polestar
Enyaq
EQA
....errrrr...... almost anything else....

Not that it matters, because there probably won't be one available for years, unless ( ;) ) VAG prioritise these over £30k ID.3's, because why not continue to make EV motoring too expensive for the masses when you can make twice as much for the same hardware cost?
Are you going for a hat trick of antagonistic threads, or just the pair?! 😉😂

Perhaps the question ‘Why not?’ should also be asked then?

There’s more to a car than the cost, and the ID.5 GTX has a lot going for it.

I also think VAG are doing more than most to make EVs more affordable, but you don’t look up the range to determine that.

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS RWD
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you going for a hat trick of antagonistic threads, or just the pair?! 😉😂

Perhaps the question ‘Why not?’ should also be asked then?

There’s more to a car than the cost, and the ID.5 GTX has a lot going for it.

I also think VAG are doing more than most to make EVs more affordable, but you don’t look up the range to determine that.
Yes, there are many thing more to a car than just the cost, but....

It tends to be they way these things are measured, otherwise we'd all be in EQSs, e-Tron GTs and Taycans, wouldn't we?

At £45k, it would kill the opposition (bearing in mind, it can't be hugely more expensive to make than an ID.3 Tour with the same battery).

At £50k, it would be very competitive.

At £55k, well, it's a stretch, but you know.....VAG.....it's probably worth it (from someone who had bought new from VAG for last 20 years or so).

At £60k? Why would you? You could get a Q4 e-Tron with same underpinnings and a much, much, much better interior, so why wouldn't you?

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
Yes, there are many thing more to a car than just the cost, but....

It tends to be they way these things are measured, otherwise we'd all be in EQSs, e-Tron GTs and Taycans, wouldn't we?

At £45k, it would kill the opposition (bearing in mind, it can't be hugely more expensive to make than an ID.3 Tour with the same battery).

At £50k, it would be very competitive.

At £55k, well, it's a stretch, but you know.....VAG.....it's probably worth it (from someone who had bought new from VAG for last 20 years or so).

At £60k? Why would you? You could get a Q4 e-Tron with same underpinnings and a much, much, much better interior, so why wouldn't you?
I’m fortunate that we have two EVs that are comparable in price, if not exactly segment.

Yeah, one is a £50k ish Tesla M3 LR, the other is a £50k ish ID.4 GTX.

Honestly, they both have strengths and weaknesses, the M3 is quicker, more efficient and has a dedicated public charging network for now.

The ID.4 is better built, has better paint quality, and whilst lacking electric seats has a HUD and Apple CarPlay.

Funny things to base car buying decisions on, right, but that’s what we do. I’ve been told more than once on here that for ‘only’ £5k more I could have got a Y instead of a GTX, but honestly I think the VW is ‘better’ for me and my wants/needs/desires.

The car market is in a flat spin, Tesla have indeed succeeded in ‘disrupting’ the market. If Tesla could come into the market with a very expensive Model S, and charge what they did/do for it, why not VW, or BMW or Mercedes or Kia etc etc.

Time will tell, and I haven’t even sat in or driven an ID.5 GTX so don’t know what it has going for it or not, but that will be for a buyer to decide, surely?

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS RWD
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
..... the other is a £50k ish ID.4 GTX.
And that feels like exactly the right price bracket - I'd be ok with paying that for ID.4 GTX, in fact I very nearly did, but then I test drove the EV6.......

But another £10k for the same car, with less metal?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
And that feels like exactly the right price bracket - I'd be ok with paying that for ID.4 GTX, in fact I very nearly did, but then I test drove the EV6.......

Thing is it is not £10k more for the same car - the ID5 GTX has a similar spec apparently to the ID4 GTX Max, and the price difference between them is much smaller

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts

‘Coupe’ versions have always been priced higher than the hatches they’re based on, there’s obviously a price for ‘intangibles’.

I wonder what Audi will charge for their equivalent model, assuming they do one, that will be the answer.

As @ChrisCross123 says, it looks like about £5k more over the ID.4 GTX Max.

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS RWD
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
‘Coupe’ versions have always been priced higher than the hatches they’re based on, there’s obviously a price for ‘intangibles’.

I wonder what Audi will charge for their equivalent model, assuming they do one, that will be the answer.

They already do, really, you could choose between the q4 Sportback e-Tron S-line 50 for a bit less, or the full blown Vorsprung version for £62k - that's where my own money would go.....if I had it ;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
All Volkswagen electric cars seem expensive to me. The ID5 is way over priced compared to a Tesla. I was in the market for a used ID3 buy they were all priced north of £34,000. So I decided to buy a secondhand Model S instead for the same price. Volkswagen had indicted that their electric cars would be for the mass market. Maybe in the future….

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
All Volkswagen electric cars seem expensive to me. The ID5 is way over priced compared to a Tesla. I was in the market for a used ID3 buy they were all priced north of £34,000. So I decided to buy a secondhand Model S instead for the same price. Volkswagen had indicted that their electric cars would be for the mass market. Maybe in the future….
You had to get in early, in Nov 2020 when I got an ID.3 you could pay as ‘little’ as £28k ish for the 58kWh version.

Prices have gone mad since for all brands, especially used due to supply issues, but have you seen the price of an ‘every man’ Golf these days? The ID.3 range overlaps with the Golf quite a bit price wise, but anything we see/asses these days is distorted by the B word, the C word and now the U word.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Prices have gone mad since for all brands, especially used due to supply issues, but have you seen the price of an ‘every man’ Golf these days? The ID.3 range overlaps with the Golf quite a bit price wise, but anything we see/asses these days is distorted by the B word, the C word and now the U word.
Indeed. I was watching a review of the new Golf R. It was over £50k as tested... for a Golf. :oops:

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
I read that VW has increased their profit margin by over 450% compared to the previous year despite a drop in total vehicles built. I wonder how?
Where did you read that?

I’d imagine that not having to offer discounts In this new car buying/owning world is something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts

And plenty of 'mugs' who'd pay.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
I'd want a better interior for £55k. I have an ID 4 and it feels pricy for what it is with no discounts.
The GTX interiors from what I can gather are a step up from other models.

Not that I think the standard ID.4 interior is bad, accepting the design is not to everybody’s taste.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts