Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two years, my 2018 i3S has just gone in for its first service at the BMW dealership. As expected, the rear tyres are well worn and need replacement (circa. 24,000 miles)
Imagine my shock when I was quoted £981 to repace just the two rear tyres. Can this be right? What sort of unobtainium are the tyres made from?

Any suggestions as to the right price and a good place to buy would be welcome. I have checked online with the likes of Merityre and Kwik Fit but they do not seem to stock the size needed Bridgestone 195/50/20/93T

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
They are not just tyres, they are BMW TYRES. Apparently BMW owners like to pay for the privilege of being one as it implies greater quality. I think it is a case of "I saw you coming"

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I did not know about the blackcircles tyre site. £192 each, fitted at my premises, is more like the price I was expecting.
Blackcircles lists both a Potenza and an Ecopia version of the tyres. Do you know what the difference is?

PS I didn't want to start another tyre thread but since new products come out quite frequently, thought it was best to check.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you dk6780. I loved the link -- laugh out loud funny, even though I am at my work desk!

PS I am already an Octopus customer otherwise I would have followed your link. That said, after 5 months I am still waiting for them to install a smart meter and switch me to their Octopus Go tariff. Can't find a way to get them moving faster.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Ecopia is standard from BMW - the Potenza is a grippier tyre at the expense of slightly higher rolling resistance and considerably higher wear rate. I'd stick with the Ecopia.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Time to shame the dealer I think. £400 of service (all in) for almost a grand?!?!?!!
Even if the tyres were marked up, this seems like an exorbitant labour charge for tyre fitting, considering it's a tenner a loose wheel for cash in some places.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: later in the day, the dealership called back. They had misread their own quote as being per tyre rather than per pair. So the actual price is 981/2 i.e. £490.50. Still expensive, but a more typical BMW markup. Who can you trust?

·
Super Moderator
11,980 Posts
What sort of unobtainium are the tyres made from?
Ecopia is standard from BMW - the Potenza is a grippier tyre at the expense of slightly higher rolling resistance and considerably higher wear rate. I'd stick with the Ecopia.

As far as I know Bridgestone Ecopia is the only tyre available in 195/50R20. That size is unique to the rear wheels of an i3s.

They aren't cheap. £981 for two is waaay to expensive.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Had a full set of Ecopias on our REX last year at the three year service and our main dealer (Plymouth) matched the local discount tyre outlets, worked out virtually the same as buying them online and paying the £10-15 per tyre fitting charge.
Luckily not all dealers are so errr......

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 195/55/20 winter tyres fitted all round to my i3s. No rubbing or need for spacers, not even on the front.

Done 2k miles on them, insurers know.

Just deciding whether to keep to this oversize set up for the summer wheels. Michelins Primacy3 under £88 each supplied at the moment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as I know Bridgestone Ecopia is the only tyre available in 195/50R20. That size is unique to the rear wheels of an i3s.

They aren't cheap. £981 for two is waaay to expensive.
tyreleader lists the ecopia and s001 bridgestones in this size. btw tyreleader price is £165 for the eco and £73 each for S001.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The more I read posts like this, the more I feel that an i3 is a false economy.

• You will pay a lot more to buy it
  • then almost forced to buy extended warranty
  • expensive servicing
  • expensive consumables.

Add it all up.

To the extent that the potential fuel saving is not offset even the slightest by these heavy costs.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

• You will pay a lot more to buy it
  • then almost forced to buy extended warranty
  • expensive servicing
  • expensive consumables.
Add it all up.

To the extent that the potential fuel saving is not offset even the slightest by these heavy costs.
Probably, 3 of the 4 apply to all BMWs. Buying a warranty, as said before, comes down to your attitude to risk. BMW extended warranties have never been cheap.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Probably, 3 of the 4 apply to all BMWs. Buying a warranty, as said before, comes down to your attitude to risk. BMW extended warranties have never been cheap.
But at least with an ICE you have many options for tyres and servicing...

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
231 Posts
I didn't buy mine for economy or tax reasons. It is a sort of hobby vehicle that is a hi-tech, nippy, automatic, town car that is light for an EV. The design and build of the chassis and body is to be commended. I also like the smaller battery as it fulfils most of my daily needs. A future classic to go with my 40 year old V8 convertible. I hope it will be a keeper like the V8.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Exactly we bought ours because we loved the car from launch, couldn’t wait to get one, great fun, great innovation and great to drive.....not all about economy at all just as most 4X4 vehicles never see a grassy field let alone mud!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots of helpful tyre information here, including some sites I have not tried before. Thanks, everyone.

The moral of the story is: if you get a quote from a BMW dealership, challenge it!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Buying a warranty, as said before, comes down to your attitude to risk. BMW extended warranties have never been cheap.
Fact is, BMW make money on warranties. All car companies do. The odds are always in their favour.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts