Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
453 Posts
Yes I spotted that the i3 sizes (inc REX) now include a Continental option. Seems that bigger and bigger wheels are actually becoming more normal (195/55/20 size on a Renault Grand Scenic ffs!). I was sceptical as to take up, but maybe it will come. It has taken some time though, I'm sure the 2013 i3 buyers were pretty unpleasantly surprised when they figured out tyres were going to cost more per mile than fuel ..

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes I spotted that the i3 sizes (inc REX) now include a Continental option. Seems that bigger and bigger wheels are actually becoming more normal (195/55/20 size on a Renault Grand Scenic ffs!). I was sceptical as to take up, but maybe it will come. It has taken some time though, I'm sure the 2013 i3 buyers were pretty unpleasantly surprised when they figured out tyres were going to cost more per mile than fuel ..
Hopefully they took all the various running costs into consideration before they bought the vehicle.....as with any vehicle.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm sure the 2013 i3 buyers were pretty unpleasantly surprised when they figured out tyres were going to cost more per mile than fuel ..
And of course the increase in tyre cost is offset massively by the much, much lower cost of replacing brake pads and discs, at our last service (22K miles 4 years) the pads were reported as being 10-15% worn........at that rate we shouldn’t need pads until over 100K miles!

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
453 Posts
Still, coming from a car with 200bhp and 15" wheels where a full set costs less than a single tyre for an i3 is a shock.
I doubt i3 buyers were in it for the cheapness tbh, it's not really a cheap car! Depreciation cost and costs of the few consumables make it relatively expensive. Certainly if you ignored the fuel costs a basic supermini petrol car would cost a fraction of the cost of an i3 over five years, if not more. The one and only cost saving comes from the nearly-free fuel, and having to charge at public rapids obliterates even that advantage.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi, my I3 BEV 2016 is due its service and MOT in October. I think I may need new tyres 17500 miles. I checked the tyres on the car and the front are different size to the rear both are R19. However, when I put in my reg number to search the only options it gives me is 155 R19 on front and rear and 155 and 175 R20s for front and rear. Which option should I select? Probably get the dealer to sort out but would like to be fully informed if the quote is ridiculously high? But also for the future if there Is a need to change the tyres.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
453 Posts
The i3 has numerous different tyre and wheel combos. Just copy what's on your particular car and you'll be fine. They will be between £120 and £200 a wheel.
I believe that the standard i3 non-S withough REX should have 155 width tyres all round.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi, my I3 BEV 2016 is due its service and MOT in October. I think I may need new tyres 17500 miles. I checked the tyres on the car and the front are different size to the rear both are R19. However, when I put in my reg number to search the only options it gives me is 155 R19 on front and rear and 155 and 175 R20s for front and rear. Which option should I select? Probably get the dealer to sort out but would like to be fully informed if the quote is ridiculously high? But also for the future if there Is a need to change the tyres.
If yours is the BEV it certainly should have (with 19”rims) 155 tyres front and rear, the REX version had 155 front and 175 rear, maybe yours has had a wheels swap at some time, or somebody has installed the wrong tyres on the rear rims, before going further you need to check the actual size (width) of the rear alloy wheels.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the info. I bought it second hand from BMW Sytner In 2018. I will check the rear alloys before purchasing any tyres and also see what BMW Sytner Chigwell say if they need replacing for the MOT.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
659 Posts
As someone mentioned earlier I’d recommend ‘upgrading’ to the Continental tyres over the Bridgestones. Looking online all tyre sizes are between £100-£120 plus add £15 per wheel for fitting, valves, tyre disposal etc.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
453 Posts
Bridgestone also do the potenza s001. The Ecopia is designed for low rolling resistance and as such isn't maybe everyone's cup of tea when it comes to sporty handling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a late 2019 i3s and find the ride a bit firm ,told it would ride better with higher profile tyres . did you fit summer tyres of 195/55/20 around? If so was the ride better.
Didn't fit any new summer tyres as drove less during the lockdown and can WFH. Won't fit any new summer tyres now as winter swap over is coming.....

·
Registered
2019 BMW i3s 120Ah BEV.
4 Posts
Didn't fit any new summer tyres as drove less during the lockdown and can WFH. Won't fit any new summer tyres now as winter swap over is coming.....
Hi, What make of tyres are you using? Did you fit them on the standard 20" wheels? as I thought the front wheels being narrower the 195/55 would be too wide to fit . Did you notice any difference with the tyres you did fit from the standard 195/50/20 rears and the 175/55/20 fitted to the front, ride wise? Can you confirm that the front 195 /55/20 do not catch anything? Thank you.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
453 Posts
Be aware that a sharp-eyed MOT tester might figure out the car was not type approved with the wrong tyre size and should fail the car. It's very unlikely to be picked up in practice, but if you're at all bothered at the prospect of this, be ready to change 'em back. :)

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Be aware that a sharp-eyed MOT tester might figure out the car was not type approved with the wrong tyre size and should fail the car. It's very unlikely to be picked up in practice, but if you're at all bothered at the prospect of this, be ready to change 'em back. :)
Not in the MOT whatsoever.🤒🤒🤒🤒

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,670 Posts
Sounds like an arm-chair MoT tester here.

They can't do that, but what they can fail it on is an erroneous speedo (if they note the rolling radius is too dissimilar/large, and they perform a test to prove it) and load rating (the axle weights are stamped on the car, the load ratings should meet those limits ... but that is not necessarily the case if the vehicle has been homologated on lesser tyres, which some can and have).

The requirement is for those aspects given on;

An MoT tester can't 'make up' a failure if it does not fail for one of those reasons, but instead out of the benefit of their professional opinion. A 'different tyre' is not [currently] one of those, but it is fair to conclude it might become so.

The reason is quite simple .. cars get legally modified. If the weights are changed, the plate must be changed, but you can legitimately modify a car's tyres and the only ones who 'care' are the insurance companies. If they say 'OK' to a tyre change modification, it is no-one's business if the tyre is 'suitable' (as I think the law helpfully [lol] says).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, What make of tyres are you using? Did you fit them on the standard 20" wheels? as I thought the front wheels being narrower the 195/55 would be too wide to fit . Did you notice any difference with the tyres you did fit from the standard 195/50/20 rears and the 175/55/20 fitted to the front, ride wise? Can you confirm that the front 195 /55/20 do not catch anything? Thank you.
I've done a long explanation here

Winter tyres fitted are Blizzak LM005 195/55/20 all round on an original set of staggered i3s 20" inch rims.
Didn't notice any difference but preference was to have the nearly the same footprint rather than 155 wide BMW winter tyre set on colder road surface in mornings and evenings. During the day if temps higher I could still hoon around (my bad) having similar footprint to the standard size tyres (though softer tread).

Does not rub on the front of my car using these winter size tyres, no idea on other makes of tyres. It was all suck it and see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just to clarify, my insurers know.

These winters are on a sperate set of alloys and would change back if I had to go back for warranty work. It's a 2019 car, so obviously too new for MOT and there is plenty of tread.

Did a check with a tyre calculation website and its said changing the front tyre sizes would mean at 60mph I would be doing 61.7mph and the rears at 60mph I would be actually doing 61.5mph. Say av 2mph more, no idea how the speedo is calculated, to be shown on the display.

"I do normally drive sensibly Officer👮‍♂️" and but knowing the above, I am conscious of driving under the respective speed limits and not at. I'll have to take it on the chin if I get done for 'inadvertently' for exceeding the speed limit by a tad on my local hoons/ travels.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
453 Posts
Sounds like an arm-chair MoT tester here.

They can't do that, but what they can fail it on is an erroneous speedo (if they note the rolling radius is too dissimilar/large, and they perform a test to prove it) and load rating (the axle weights are stamped on the car, the load ratings should meet those limits ... but that is not necessarily the case if the vehicle has been homologated on lesser tyres, which some can and have).
The armchair lawyer responds to the armchair MOT tester then? ;)

They're unlikely to detect speedo mis-reads, obviously, and it's unlikely anyone would ever get a fail for this, but I do know of people who have had cars fail for mismatched tyre sizes installed. I don't know of anyone who got a fail for the wrong size tyres installed, except where they fouled suspension/bodywork, stuck out too far, or were "stretched" and deemed unsafe fitment for the wheels.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,670 Posts
The armchair lawyer responds to the armchair MOT tester then? ;)

They're unlikely to detect speedo mis-reads, obviously, and it's unlikely anyone would ever get a fail for this, but I do know of people who have had cars fail for mismatched tyre sizes installed. I don't know of anyone who got a fail for the wrong size tyres installed, except where they fouled suspension/bodywork, stuck out too far, or were "stretched" and deemed unsafe fitment for the wheels.
Mismatched, of course. that's just mad and dangerous.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts