Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,848 Posts
What the law deems dangerous, is when you physically disengage the drive mechanism and have no access to the engine power to either accelerate or assist in braking, whilst in driving motion.

Driving in D in an EV, you haven’t physically disengage anything, you are just driving as the vehicle is intended to be driven.

If you put the vehicle physically and deliberately into neutral for the purpose free wheeling, this is deem dangerous in law because you are not in full control of the vehicle.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
686 Posts
Putting an ICE in neutral or keeping the clutch depressed isn't actually that efficient either because the engine is still idling.
And dont ever turn the engine off and remove the ignition key to coast, as the steering column locks! I knew someone who was getting an emergency tow once who forgot to put the key in the ignition. Crashed on the first corner!

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,853 Posts
Do you have an example of an emergency situation where it would be safer to accelerate rather than brake?
When you're about to be hit from behind.
When you need to rapidly change the direction of the car to avoid a hazard from one side.
To escape a potential hazard in front of you on a motorway without becoming a hazard yourself.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
When you're about to be hit from behind.
When you need to rapidly change the direction of the car to avoid a hazard from one side.
To escape a potential hazard in front of you on a motorway without becoming a hazard yourself.
Taking the first one - that must be extremely rare, I've never been in a situation where I've been about to be hit from behind and could have accelerated out of the way. The closest to that I've ever seen has been on a motorways and main roads where the traffic suddenly comes to a stop. Accelerating would just mean ramming the car in front.

Could you be a bit more specific about what you had in mind?

As for the second two, surely that's what the steering wheel is for?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
What the law deems dangerous, is when you physically disengage the drive mechanism and have no access to the engine power to either accelerate or assist in braking, whilst in driving motion.

Driving in D in an EV, you haven’t physically disengage anything, you are just driving as the vehicle is intended to be driven.

If you put the vehicle physically and deliberately into neutral for the purpose free wheeling, this is deem dangerous in law because you are not in full control of the vehicle.
"assist in braking" - are you referring to engine braking?

Again, taking the GTE as an example, in D mode there is no engine braking.

I'm not aware of any modern car (lets say made in the last 20 years) where stamping on the brakes will not bring you to a screeching halt, regardless of being in gear or neutral.

I also struggle with this idea of not being in "full control". How is bumbling along at 55mph in 5th in a 3 pot corsa going to be any different to if you are in neutral? Lets say you need to accelerate because you spot in the rear view mirror a distant a Tesla model S plaid that has a jammed acclerator pedal and is approaching you at warp speed 9. Luckily the road ahead is clear and straight, you need to acclerate quickly. So you either:

A - slam the gas pedal - and nothing much happens
B - knock it down a gear, say into 3rd , the car gives moderate accleration
C - go from neutral into 3rd, the car gives moderate acceleration

Happy to be corrected on this but I think modern VW cars with a DSG all coast to some extent, so not just limited to EVs.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
686 Posts
"assist in braking" - are you referring to engine braking?

Again, taking the GTE as an example, in D mode there is no engine braking.

I'm not aware of any modern car (lets say made in the last 20 years) where stamping on the brakes will not bring you to a screeching halt, regardless of being in gear or neutral.

I also struggle with this idea of not being in "full control". How is bumbling along at 55mph in 5th in a 3 pot corsa going to be any different to if you are in neutral? Lets say you need to accelerate because you spot in the rear view mirror a distant a Tesla model S plaid that has a jammed acclerator pedal and is approaching you at warp speed 9. Luckily the road ahead is clear and straight, you need to acclerate quickly. So you either:

A - slam the gas pedal - and nothing much happens
B - knock it down a gear, say into 3rd , the car gives moderate accleration
C - go from neutral into 3rd, the car gives moderate acceleration

Happy to be corrected on this but I think modern VW cars with a DSG all coast to some extent, so not just limited to EVs.
I've not driven many dsgs but I kind of assumed they stayed "in gear", though in auto mode they may slip into the highest gears (which feels a lot like coasting?) . Coming out of gear without shutting the engine down would presumably be less fuel efficient too
But I suppose if you think about an EV, if it is in D and isn't using power or regenerating, it still isn't technically coasting, as the motor is still turning with the wheels, it's just there is very minimal "engine braking" as there are no pistons etc

·
Registered
211 Posts
@TylerCello , I think your original question has gone slightly off topic. In EV terms, coasting can mean reducing the regeneration mode to the minimum, so that there doesn't have to be as much acceleration. Physics laws say that you'll never reclaim as much battery regen on a downhill slope as you would use it on the corresponding uphill. Therefore on a more open road, you are likely to be better off coasting as much as possible rather than accelerate/regenerate.

However the gain is probably so negligible as not to be worth it. My previous motor was a heavier Outlander PHEV and I felt coasting was a bigger deal than now in a lighter Leaf.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
686 Posts
I should add that N in an EV is a virtual neutral since the wheels are never disconnected from the motor. This is claimed to be potentially damaging to the motor electronics as it can act as a generator with no load meaning the output voltage can exceed the built-in safety margin. (been argued to death in another thread but no conclusive proof it damages a Leaf)
Is that actually the case? My Ioniq makes a definite clunk when engaging D, I always assumed it was the gear/final drive engaging, or is it the Park "lock" disengaging? But suppose it makes sense why you shouldn't tow it.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,880 Posts
Is that actually the case? My Ioniq makes a definite clunk when engaging D, I always assumed it was the gear/final drive engaging, or is it the Park "lock" disengaging? But suppose it makes sense why you shouldn't tow it.
There is no way to disconnect the motor so any noise must be the parking pawl. My Leaf is totally silent and if I do switch to N, regardless of how much throttle I give it, when I engage D, the power comes back smoothly and quickly with no clunks or jerks.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I've not driven many dsgs but I kind of assumed they stayed "in gear", though in auto mode they may slip into the highest gears (which feels a lot like coasting?) . Coming out of gear without shutting the engine down would presumably be less fuel efficient too
But I suppose if you think about an EV, if it is in D and isn't using power or regenerating, it still isn't technically coasting, as the motor is still turning with the wheels, it's just there is very minimal "engine braking" as there are no pistons etc
This was in response the "assist in braking". The point being that many cars or EVs not using regen do not have any braking other than that from the brakes.

The Golf GTE 100% coasts - the engine stops and is disconnected from the drivetrain by a clutch. In D mode it will coast for quite some distance. Almost the same as taking a normal ICE and turning the engine off and putting into neutral.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,848 Posts
This was in response the "assist in braking". The point being that many cars or EVs not using regen do not have any braking other than that from the brakes.

The Golf GTE 100% coasts - the engine stops and is disconnected from the drivetrain by a clutch. In D mode it will coast for quite some distance. Almost the same as taking a normal ICE and turning the engine off and putting into neutral.
Happy to be corrected here, but while the vehicle coasts in D mode, you still get an immediate response from the engine when you touch the accelerator pedal. For example, if there was a sudden hazard in the road, then you use engine power to help with steering around it. I am only assuming this is the case, if so then you would be driving the vehicle as intended and not deliberately putting the gear box into neutral. But then if you were going down a steep hill, then the vehicle would be coasting and the vehicles brakes would be the only way of controlling the vehicles speed. In which case I guess, the Highway Code needs to be updated, perhaps if there was a prosecution, and a successful (it wasn’t me, it was the vehicle m’Lord) defence, then a new president would be set and a subsequent amendment made.

It’s a case of rules becoming outdated by new technology.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,853 Posts
Happy to be corrected here, but while the vehicle coasts in D mode, you still get an immediate response from the engine when you touch the accelerator pedal. For example, if there was a sudden hazard in the road, then you use engine power to help with steering around it. I am only assuming this is the case, if so then you would be driving the vehicle as intended and not deliberately putting the gear box into neutral. But then if you were going down a steep hill, then the vehicle would be coasting and the vehicles brakes would be the only way of controlling the vehicles speed. In which case I guess, the Highway Code needs to be updated, perhaps if there was a prosecution, and a successful (it wasn’t me, it was the vehicle m’Lord) defence, then a new president would be set and a subsequent amendment made.

It’s a case of rules becoming outdated by new technology.
In D mode it isn't coasting. Coasting would be in N mode, whereby applying the accelerator would not result in any forward acceleration.

Reactions: GOSPORT DAVE
21 - 32 of 32 Posts