Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to buy my first PHEV so rang National Car Hub in Aldridge at 9:30 and asked if they could charge their for sale Outlander PHEV and arranged to view it at 17:00. Got there to find no charging cable and the battery was completely empty didn’t even register 1 mile just - - -
Sales lady went to investigate and came back to say manager says you don’t need a lead because it’s a hybrid it charges itself 😲. He then passed on a message through the sales lady that they don’t need to try to get a lead because they can sell the £12295 2015 flat battery Charging lead less PHEV like it is 😬
I went back home in my 2.0 Petrol Turbo with my money 😤
The search continues. Are leads expensive ?!

·
Registered
17,473 Posts
Well, technically he is correct.

Although the Outlander should come with a Type 1 charging cable (as I understand it).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Circa £150 for a type 1 to type 2, could actually be cheaper as the Outlander can only take 16Amps.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Hi, I want to buy my first PHEV so rang National Car Hub in Aldridge at 9:30 and asked if they could charge their for sale Outlander PHEV and arranged to view it at 17:00. Got there to find no charging cable and the battery was completely empty didn’t even register 1 mile just - - -
Sales lady went to investigate and came back to say manager says you don’t need a lead because it’s a hybrid it charges itself 😲. He then passed on a message through the sales lady that they don’t need to try to get a lead because they can sell the £12295 2015 flat battery Charging lead less PHEV like it is 😬
I went back home in my 2.0 Petrol Turbo with my money 😤
The search continues. Are leads expensive ?!
Not tempted to open the charge flap and ask him what he thought went in there?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Well, technically he is correct.
No, he is definitively wrong. The classification is "Plug-In..."

It is a Hybrid and an EV. There is a dedicated EV mode to driving. Hybrid mode is only half the car; would you buy something having seen only half of it?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
@Molinites The Outlander PHEV should come with a standard 3-pin mains plug and "granny charger" that connects to the Type 1 socket on the car. If this is missing then demand a discount as the mains charger is a standard item. It is normally stored in a compartment in the floor of the boot.

If you are charging at home then a mains charger is all you need - it provides enough juice to charge overnight.

Circa £150 for a type 1 to type 2, could actually be cheaper as the Outlander can only take 16Amps.
There are two sockets. The CHAdeMO DC fast charging socket draws more. I use a thicker Type 2 plug to Type 1 plug because my general experience is that thin cables will break when under load and exposed to direct sunlight - plus it might be used on other cars.

·
Registered
17,473 Posts

It is a Hybrid and an EV. There is a dedicated EV mode to driving. Hybrid mode is only half the car; would you buy something having seen only half of it?
This bit:
Sales lady went to investigate and came back to say manager says you don’t need a lead because it’s a hybrid it charges itself 😲
Is true.

Whether the car is missing a charging lead is another matter.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,359 Posts
My 2017 outlander I picked up in June came with 3kW EVSE. It was flat battery too.

Having said that it is a good second car. Managed to drive it 250 miles this month in EV mode so far. I do wish I could triple the capacity of HV battery to be honest

Does 23 miles in town and 16 if I hit 70mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

Not really. I have 2017 Juro and if I’m not careful I end up turning the engine on if I’m harsh with throttle- happens a few times every week.

Maybe it is an option for higher trim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, a quick update. I’ve now put down a deposit on a different facelift late 2015 GX4H which has got leads and was charged like I requested before viewing. Awaiting collection date it’s got to be serviced and motd. Trying to do lots of reading and resist daft newbie questions but apologies some may follow!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi, a quick update. I’ve now put down a deposit on a different facelift late 2015 GX4H which has got leads and was charged like I requested before viewing. Awaiting collection date it’s got to be serviced and motd. Trying to do lots of reading and resist daft newbie questions but apologies some may follow!
I went for Juro as I couldn't wait and wasn't bothered about assist features.

Having said that mine was 30k miles and had to replace tyres as they were starting to crack. Apart from that it is decent.

I do wish it had bigger electric range. I get between 17-23 miles on full charge and it's okay for local usage though need to be light on foot and I trigger on petrol engine once a day.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
17-23 miles
Which regenerative brake mode? I drive mostly on L0, pulling back on the gear lever for L3 and L5 when there is stop ahead.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Not really. I have 2017 Juro and if I’m not careful I end up turning the engine on if I’m harsh with throttle..
My Outlander has the EV button behind the 4WD button, which forces battery-only mode. I have read of owners retrofitting an equivalent EV mode to older models. Using this feature it happily drives at motorway speeds on battery only, just not for very far.

The only time the engine annoys me is cabin heating in the winter, which I appreciate as warm and efficient, and just wish it was optional.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Is not true. How can the car deliver it's NEDC specified miles per gallon without a charging cable? How could the EV feature be used without a charging cable? :oops:

The Outlander is officially categorised as an EV, and if you test drive an Outlander without a charged drive battery then you are not testing an EV!

It is a contradiction, and a trade description problem, to assert that this car does not need a charging cable. If the seller re-categorised the car as a 45mpg Hybrid with appropriate road tax then they would not need a cable, and a seller cannot do that because DLVA recognises the Outlander PHEV as a zero emissions car.

The cable is a functional part of the car that activates EV features and a cable is required to complete the car.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Which regenerative brake mode? I drive mostly on L0, pulling back on the gear lever for L3 and L5 when there is stop ahead.
L0?

My Juro has B0-B5

Normal D is equivalent to B3?

I tend to be switch to B0 as soon as I remember and increase it as I notice need to show down

The PHEV box costs 250ish that forces older (ones without EV button) to use pure EV mode

Maybe one day I'll get that

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Yes, I meant B0. On mine D is equivalent to B2.

·
Registered
17,473 Posts
Is not true. How can the car deliver it's NEDC specified miles per gallon without a charging cable? How could the EV feature be used without a charging cable? :oops:

The Outlander is officially categorised as an EV, and if you test drive an Outlander without a charged drive battery then you are not testing an EV!

It is a contradiction, and a trade description problem, to assert that this car does not need a charging cable. If the seller re-categorised the car as a 45mpg Hybrid with appropriate road tax then they would not need a cable, and a seller cannot do that because DLVA recognises the Outlander PHEV as a zero emissions car.

The cable is a functional part of the car that activates EV features and a cable is required to complete the car.
That wasn’t the dealers claim.

He just said you don’t need a charging cable to use the car. What mileage you get is another question.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
That wasn’t the dealers claim.
Yes it was.

He just said you don’t need a charging cable to use the car.
I assert you need a cable to fully use the car, and I assert the dealer's statement is misleading. You either fully tell the truth, or you don't. You either fully test the car, or you don't.

By the same logic the dealer was stating that you do not need two wheels to use a bicycle, as demonstrated in the image below. I am countering by asserting that the image displays the use of a monocycle, and not a bicycle.

By definition, you can test a subset of components in a PHEV without plugging it in, and that is not the same as testing the whole car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts