Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the reddit e-golf page and saw this testing. Interested to hear if people are also switching out their tyres and their own results doing so. I’m still on the supplied Bridgestones as I’ve had the car only a month or so.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I was browsing the reddit e-golf page and saw this testing. Interested to hear if people are also switching out their tyres and their own results doing so. I’m still on the supplied Bridgestones as I’ve had the car only a month or so.

A lot ( including myself ) hated the OEM factory fitted Bridgestone’s.
They are a hard compound and therefore the grip / traction is poor.
Trying to grab a slot on a busy round about or road junction in wet weather has the result of spinning the front wheels almost every time !.
The road noise is poor and this only increases as the tyres become more & more worn.
The issues with these tyres have been covered at length on the forum.
At change out time, people have favoured / opted for Pilot Sports / Cross Climates / Good Year’s.
All have received better results that the original OEM tyres.
VW appear to favour fitting the Bridgestone’s on almost all of their 17 inch wheel and tyre combo’s.
I went for the Good Years on my GTE at the time and was super pleased with the results.
The Pilot Sports will offer the maximum amount of grip because of there soft compound, but they will wear quickly.
A bit more suited to a Golf R if you like ?.
A bit over the top for an e.Golf if you ask me.
Reduced road / cabin noise was high on my list of priorities.
The Good Years offered the lowest rolling resistant, but did not suffer from poor grip or traction.
Basically, any of the above is an improvement over the Bridgestone’s in my book.
I would never purchase them at the time of replacement !.
VW recommend that the front and rear wheels should be exchanged every 5,000 miles.
This I conformed with, as I wanted them ALL off the car at the same time.
I replaced all four tyres at around 24,000 miles.
There was still some wear left on them but the side walls had started to show signs of cracking on all four tyres.
Good enough excuse to get shut of them.
The Good Years where like a “Night and Day” difference.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

I’m not really sure what’s that surprising about increasing the width of each tyre by circa 10% and then recording higher lateral G figures.

Of all the things important to me regarding a tyre on an EV, lateral G is pretty low down the list. I certainly wouldn’t choose that over efficiency or aquaplaning resistance or noise.

I’ve got three sets of wheels for my e-Golf. There’s the stock alloys running the factory Bridgestones, I’ve got some 17” twin spoke alloys running 17” versions of the factory tyres, and I’ve got a set of 16” steel wheels running some Michelin CC+ that have done 4 ‘winters’ now.

I didn’t notice the droning sound of the factory wheels and tyres as much as I did on my old GTE, maybe there’s something different about the suspension mounting on the e-Golf. The 17” versions of the same tyre are even quieter for some reason, and ride is barely different. I run them at 41 psi, which might make a difference, I ran them on the GTE at 36psi.

My favourite setup by far is the 16” wheels with CC+ tyres, they’re just unshakeable in most conditions and ride very quietly too. They look pants though!

I find the e-Golf carves a nice corner even stock, that battery pack being low down really helps. It’s a fine handling ‘warm’ hatch, and is surprisingly good fun to hustle down some lanes at sensible speeds.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have either of you found the efficiency changes a problem? £160 for a set of tyres should ideally be offset by the advantages if only slightly

for example in winter

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I do notice about a 5-10% drop in range with the 215/45/17s on, but the wheel isn’t an aero alloy.

I’ve been looking around for some 17 or 18” aero style wheels that don’t look terrible and will fit the golf, but not much luck so far.

Although the wider frontal area of the tyres will have some impact, I think the drag of standard alloys is more of an issue.

Unfortunately work won’t let me use their wind tunnel for testing, something about it costing tens of £k an hour to run?! :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Anyone have efficiency data for a stickier stock sized tire on the OEM rims?
At the same size and pressure, and a normal road going tread pattern, I’d have thought it would be difficult to measure any appreciable difference.

My GTE electric efficiency was not noticeably different when I switched out the stock Bridgestone’s for Goodyear Eagle F1s, at the same size and pressures.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Screw the efficiency, I can live with a little less of that thank you.
Just to receive a better ride, more grip and better handling and less road noise of course.
I will take that ALL day.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I value efficiency. I believe even on a flat road the energy usage will be noticeably different.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I value efficiency. I believe even on a flat road the energy usage will be noticeably different.
I certainly havnt had any major issue with the Bridgestones, but I’ve driven maybe once in wet so far and noticed huge drag, presumably because liquid was interfering with the aerodynamics. I’m definitely considering a swap out when these come to change

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't mind the Ecopias but I think wet weather driving is where they need more grip. I'm pretty sure wet conditions reduce the efficiency of any tire. I don't have a delicate enough senses to be able to detect drag caused by water.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Yes, water having to be cleared/pushed out of the way by a tyre does impact efficiency/range iover the same journey in the dry.

Wet weather isn't good for EVs especially when you add in the lower temperature, wipers and lights. That and laminar airflow is interrupted too, messing with whatever aero your car has.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Haven't seen anyone else talking about grip when the tyre is wearing. I've got Cross Climates, they're down to 4mm all round and I'm starting to get (slightly) less grip when it's really wet. This is the first issue I've had, and it's still very minor.

The difficult decision is going to be later in the year when I've got to decide whether to replace them with the same again or get proper winter tyres.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A lot ( including myself ) hated the OEM factory fitted Bridgestone’s.
They are a hard compound and therefore the grip / traction is poor.
Trying to grab a slot on a busy round about or road junction in wet weather has the result of spinning the front wheels almost every time !.
The road noise is poor and this only increases as the tyres become more & more worn.
The issues with these tyres have been covered at length on the forum.
At change out time, people have favoured / opted for Pilot Sports / Cross Climates / Good Year’s.
All have received better results that the original OEM tyres.
VW appear to favour fitting the Bridgestone’s on almost all of their 17 inch wheel and tyre combo’s.
I went for the Good Years on my GTE at the time and was super pleased with the results.
The Pilot Sports will offer the maximum amount of grip because of there soft compound, but they will wear quickly.
A bit more suited to a Golf R if you like ?.
A bit over the top for an e.Golf if you ask me.
Reduced road / cabin noise was high on my list of priorities.
The Good Years offered the lowest rolling resistant, but did not suffer from poor grip or traction.
Basically, any of the above is an improvement over the Bridgestone’s in my book.
I would never purchase them at the time of replacement !.
VW recommend that the front and rear wheels should be exchanged every 5,000 miles.
This I conformed with, as I wanted them ALL off the car at the same time.
I replaced all four tyres at around 24,000 miles.
There was still some wear left on them but the side walls had started to show signs of cracking on all four tyres.
Good enough excuse to get shut of them.
The Good Years where like a “Night and Day” difference.
Which model Goodyears did you get?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haven't seen anyone else talking about grip when the tyre is wearing. I've got Cross Climates, they're down to 4mm all round and I'm starting to get (slightly) less grip when it's really wet. This is the first issue I've had, and it's still very minor.

The difficult decision is going to be later in the year when I've got to decide whether to replace them with the same again or get proper winter tyres.
which winter tyre would you go for, which would be better than CCs? I suspect I won’t be doing snake pass at Christmas being a Londoner but we have done in the past

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

My set of CC+s are down to around 4mm or slightly under, and I agree they are clearing standing water Less well than new, understandable I suppose.

If I was running the same tyre all year, I’d still get another set I think, they’ve lasted really well on my old GTE and now the e-Golf.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
which winter tyre would you go for, which would be better than CCs? I suspect I won’t be doing snake pass at Christmas being a Londoner but we have done in the past
For full on winter tyres, Continental always seem to come out top or thereabouts in group tests, but I ran some Dunlop Winter Sports on another Golf I owned and they were great and seemed to last well when I had to run them through into summer.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Not sure, would need to do a bit more research. Have had Vredestein in the past, but have seen good things about Continental, Goodyear and Nokian.

I have to be on call for the hospital so need to be able to get down there quickly with no notice in the middle of the night. I live at about 200m altitude in what's turned out to be a bit of a frost pocket. This winter the ground was often white at home but just a bit damp at work. I have a shortish section of single track road that won't be cleared, then a mile or so of single carriageway that may be cleared before I get to the last five miles of dual carriageway trunk road which is cleared. So I need the ability to deal with wet and frosty weather and potentially snow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts