Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a tethered 32A EVSE for domestic use, ideally one where the cable cn wrap around somewhat neatly,

While I don’t need full “smart” functionality, I would like to be ble to at minimum set a timer for overnight charging (Eco7/Octopus Go), without being dependent on the cars’ timed charge settings. Wifi and 3G/GSM are pretty weak in the charger location so would refer not to be dependent on internet for ti ed charge functionality.

A nice extra feature would be support for load curtailment, which we don’t need immediately but might if/when we get a s3cond EV and another charger.

Install location has an earth spike, so PEN protection is not required.

Options identified:

* Zappi v2 - load curtailment, timed and Eco7 “boost” mode can be locally (I think?) set, and can lao override with ‘fast’ mode when desired.

* Hypervolt - load curtailment, timed, but based on RPi and presumably depends on internet? No way to override timer without using app?

* Viridian (or Viridian EPC-based DIY) with a timer controller and a “timer override” switch added. Not quite so straightforward to install/build. No neat cable tidy included.

* SmartEVSE-based DIY - similar to Viridian but with LCD screen and electronic timer, but needs separate 6ma DC RCD protection. Potentially could be extended later to support dual load balanced setup if enclosure big enough.

* Ohme - smart, but dependent on internet, no neat cable tidy.

* ProjectEV - terrible app, reportedly?

* Indra - only sell to installers who have done training course which may be an issue

So far leaning toward the Zappi even though it seems somewhat overkill with the solar etc. features. The detailed display seems like a nice bonus feature too.

Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Also, does anyone have any idea of approx pricing for the above? Presumbly my electrician will be able to get at trade prices fwith some level of discount?

·
Registered
MG5
533 Posts
If you go for the Zappi without the hub etc then you can set it up as semi dump just put the 4 hour slot in the timers. Probably your best option for adding solar or battery in the future and you can aleways get a hub later which can be wired using a lan cable

·
Registered
577 Posts
I’ve found the timer in the car to be the simplest and most reliable. No dependence on internet connections or remote servers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts