Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Leaf lover
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that is what the average punter wants to hear if they are to give serious contemplation to owning an ev.

When I came on the market for a new car we looked at a few in showrooms and I admired a lot on the roads. One particular car (common as muck now) I configured on the web site and realised just how much I was thinking of spending to get a car I wanted. That process played its part in my buying a Leaf, I had conditioned myself to spending that amount of money.Therefore the excitement of going 100% electric wasn’t compromised by what the car was costing.
3 years on and 100k Leaf sold I like to think there is now a general level of perception that ev are available and are a viable option. But give the punters a real choice.
Make it so I could have a sticker on the back my lovely blue Leaf (or what ever ev) that honestly claims
“You could have had electric”

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
That would only really work if all else was also equal or close. For me the price doesn't put me off a leaf/etc but the range and flexibility of use just don't compare to an ice, or phev.
Ignoring the range/charge time thing, even if you just look at what you're getting for the money, bev's are priced alongside some much higher spec'd stuff. Compare pricing of the leaf/pulsar, the zoe/clio, etc and there's quite a big difference. Even if you do a lot of miles on very cheap or free electricity the break even point is a long way off.

I'm waiting to see what comes out now. I was hoping a soul ev or a 30kw leaf would do what I need but the leaf would be very borderline at best when new so after 2 years and 50k it's not likely to be able to do the job even on a good day.
If the bolt/new ampera turn out to be good I'll probably go that way while waiting for the next Tesla. I could get a model s but it's too large for my needs and would still cost more to own/run than a diesel hatch which kind of defeats the point. Compared to an E-class/etc it's cheap but I wasn't after something in that range in the first place.

The bolt could be good. A genuine 200mi, smallish ev with a bit of go would be pretty much perfect for what I need.
Of course most people will see a small Chevy for about £30k and run a mile.

·
Leaf lover
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello @Siraff
Did you see that my post is very nearly 2 years old?
I expect you picked it up from "Possibly Related D.." below.
I blame @Paul for that.
Lot has happened in two years and perhaps this overlooked thread should be allowed to sleep on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.