Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Does the speedo still over read by 10% in the 2.zero?
At which point it should measured to reading 66mph on the speedo.
I'm expecting about 8.5s

Reactions: nattydread

·
@LemonTea_Leaf
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the speedo discrepancy into account for the video as its actually 5% got a video coming up tomorrow about that. Also i took the time from when the torque gauge started moving to when it hit 63mph so not including my foot on the floor and timing the lights which I suppose would be the 0.2 seconds travel time of my foot to the floor. so 7.5sec sounds about right.15.8 quarter miles is a great time :)

Good link John Kendrick

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
There's people around that claim the existing 24KW/30KW Leafs can do 0-60 in just over 7 seconds.
They claim that's proper measured times.
But it requires a special technique, as simply flooring the throttle makes several power-limiting functions kick in.
Their suggested technique is traction off, then brief modulation of the throttle at 12mph and 43mph.
These are the speeds they suggest the throttle restrictions kick in if your foot is simply mashed to the floor.
I've been trying it and I must say my 24KW Leaf does seem faster than when I used traction on and simply floored it.
What would be really nice is a plug-in box that gets around the throttle limiting functions and releases the 7 seconds without any fuss.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Interesting that they've switched to 5% from 10% on the older leaf.
And that's a pretty decent enough 0-60mph. My previous V40 2.0T 160bhp was only rated at 8.5s.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It was suggested a couple of years ago that the best launch was to leave it out of gear and floor the throttle - then drop it into D. Never tried it to see if it was noticeable.
You can also put your foot on the brake, press throttle to floor. Foot off brake. Wheeeee.
The computers cut the power while brake is pressed.
Both should be good for that extra 0.1s which makes all the difference in the leaf o_O
btw neither of these techniques are exactly recommended :)

Reactions: Schoolboy

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Oh will you all grow up? ;):D:D
I can confirm @Hitstirrer the floor it in neutral then flick to D trick certainly improved acceleration. Only did it a couple of times in the wifes 24. Stopped when she said "dont do that again you bloody idiot!" said it hurt her neck.

This again confirms that a large number of EV nuts are actually petrol heads at heart.
Its not about what moves the wheels its about the whole experience.

·
@LemonTea_Leaf
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the tips I'll certainly try the Flooring in N then flick to D tho I'll make sure the wife isn't in the car to tell me off. :D

I'm sure we're all petrol heads at heart. People ask me what the range of the leaf? how long does it take to charge? I tell them that's the wrong question... the question you should be asking is what the 0-60!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Itching to try that now lol.

Maybe I should take a test drive again - and not do it in my own when I finally get it though :D

Seriously though (a non petrol head)....what sort of other damage could it do, other than the 'non clutch' mentioned earlier.

Kids loved the 3 day test drive of the Leaf 24 at the time and its "rollercoaster like" acceleration. They'd have me launching like that every time

1 - 20 of 40 Posts