Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since getting the ZS I've had a feeling that it's a little quicker then the 8.5 seconds to 60 would suggest so today I gave it a run with the drag times app, the result is............

0-60 in 7.3 seconds!!!
I wan't 100% sure that the app was accurate so I took our Astra out to compare. The Astra has 200bhp and should be able to hit 60 in just under 7 seconds

The Astra actually did slightly worse then expected however it was scrabbling for grip more then the MG. Interestingly though the Astra was then a lot quicker as soon as it got up to speed however still really impressed that the MG is as quick as it is, which begs the question, why do MG quote a figure that's so much slower then it can actually do?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Manufacturers have stated varying 0-60 times for years, my old CLK320 was quoted as 7.2 I think but managed it in about 6.7 when I tested it. Your 0-60 times would reduce with altitude, with a head wind, different road surface, it's always better to underquote a 0-60 time otherwise you'll more likely get complaints when people aren't achieving them.

That said, I used to be very hung up on these figures but barely take notice nowadays! Anything electric feels quick to be honest, at least at speeds under 40-60mph.

Reactions: TiJayFLY and Neilew

·
Registered
784 Posts
To me, a more meaningful parameter, related to "safe" overtaking, is from something like 35 -40 mph up to 70 mph. The 0 - 60 time seems to me more for people who like bragging to their mates...

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Tesla Bjorn does accelaration tests on most of the cars he has. Take a look at 3 mins 20 secs in this video there is a chart for various EV, including the MG.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,123 Posts
Tesla Bjorn does accelaration tests on most of the cars he has. Take a look at 3 mins 20 secs in this video there is a chart for various EV, including the MG.

0-100kph being 0-62mph, so although slightly slower that's to be expected as its to a slightly higher speed. Adds credence to the OP post. Although I did see he was taking belters last night on the FB group for suggesting the car was sub 8.5seconds. 7.5seconds would be good, it definitely doesn't feel as quick as my nutter 1.6 VTS from 1997 which was 7.2secs. But then you were wringing its neck in 1st and 2nd to get that time. MG is light and day difference to my old Zoe which was said to be 13seconds? But when I tested it I got a more consistent 10secs. However it was let down over 40mph (something I believe they've addressed a bit since then).

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It really doesn't feel like it's that quick and indeed the 1.6 turbo in the Astra feels much quicker however I ran the tests several times in the same place and the MG was consistent at 7.3 / 7.4 whereas 7.1 was the best I managed to do in the Astra with most being a fair bit less then that. Obviously the in-gear acceleration is better on the Astra but it then looses out when changing which the MG doesn't have to do!

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
439 Posts
Most manufacturers selling cars to Europe quote 0-100kph times for a start, but they also have to quote the time that can be achieved by the average driver in the average loading, temperature, weather, road type, etc scenario rather than "what you can get in ideal conditions". I've never owned a car that can't consistently beat its manufacturer quoted 0-60 if conditions are right.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on the manufacturer. MG Rover (of old) consistently overstated their performance figures. Other then the Maestro which had been to Turbo Technics none of my MG / Rovers came close to their claimed figures.
For the record my admittedly unscientific tests were done in mildly moist conditions so not perfect by a long way.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
something I believe they've addressed a bit since then).
Yeah, the 110 motor was supposed to help and was specifically designed to improve (and make safer) overtaking acceleration.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, the 110 motor was supposed to help and was specifically designed to improve (and make safer) overtaking acceleration.
I've had both and can confirm the R110 is much improved.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I do understand you could be a little surprised that the ZS does feel a bit quicker than the Astra.
This maybe down to the fact you are able to both feel and hear that you are physically pushing the Astra really hard, trying to obtain a quicker result.
"Giving it the beans"or "Screwing it" - I think is one of the many terms used to describe this type of activity ! :ROFLMAO:.
An EV has the complete opposite effect I suppose ?.
The fast pick up from a standing start ( due to instant torque ) of an electric motor, combined with the lack of any type of a "Screaming Engine" under the bonnet has had us all fooled.
As all one time drivers of ICE cars in the past, our ears have maybe become conditioned to think that more noise, somehow means more speed ?.
A false impression of just how fast we think the car is accelerating really.
With an EV it is easy to believe, because it is so silent.
So, therefore you are fooled into thinking the EV must be much slower than the over worked engine in the fossil car surely ?.
Like at the local traffic light grand prix race we have all witnessed I am sure.
Non of all that slipping of the clutch to the higher rev's of the engine, then almost ripping the gear stick out of the floor in a desperate race to shift to the next gear.
But at the same time, trying to avoid making four nice round holes in the bonnet as the pistons say goodbye. All this, just in an attempt to be quicker to the next set of lights.
In most cases, the acceleration test between ICE and EV has ended at the very point when the driver of manual gearbox ICE makes its first change from 1st to 2nd gear.
The EV at this point is still continually pulling hard without even requiring that brief interruption caused by the gear change in the manual car powered by an ICE..
Most ICE drivers have given up right at this very point in the race.
Just left wondering how the hell you managed to gain speed SO quickly without hearing any sound from you car, while waiting for the lights to change ?.
A know this can be seen as a childish past time, but just now and again, it can still bring a bit of a smile to my old tired face.
Word of warning though folks, don't try this type of thing with the "White Van" brigade, they take this type of beating VERY badly and on a very personal basis.
You could end up with the shape of your car being quickly altered in retaliation of their defeat :eek:.
Their are not what you would call "Good Sportsmen".
More of your "Bad Losers" squad.

Take good care all.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,123 Posts
Screaming Engine
VTEC

I recall getting a lift in a Type R and commenting "Yeah plenty of noise and revs, but when do you feel the torque?" It was an EP3, internet says the torque is 193Nm, so a mirror for the bhp, which is probably why you don't feel a push, yeah you got a weird bump when the cam came on song but it didn't feel like it was pushing you into your seat. It was a fast car, but only through a lack of mechanical sympathy. The ones you see now have bean can exhausts too, even more noise and apparently less torque.

Oh and for context, the MG is 353Nm of torque, so while it'll get "humped" in a drag race with a Type R it'll more than beat it in a traffic light GP.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Oh and for context, the MG is 353Nm of torque, so while it'll get "humped" in a drag race with a Type R it'll more than beat it in a traffic light GP.
It's the torque arriving at the driving wheels which is the key factor for acceleration, not just engine/ motor peak torque, so for comparison between cars this has to include the gear box ratio, differential ratio and wheel diameters...Not to mention the engine rpm range over which the peak torque is available...

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As a comparison this is my SLK....... It's a bit quicker 😂

·
Registered
143 Posts
Most ICE drivers have given up right at this very point in the race.
Just left wondering how the hell you managed to gain speed SO quickly without hearing any sound from you car, while waiting for the lights to change ?.
A know this can be seen as a childish past time, but just now and again, it can still bring a bit of a smile to my old tired face.
Shortly after we bought our C-Zero, I was driving along a stretch of 30 mph dual carriageway doing the speed limit. I was in the outside lane, because of parked vehicles. There was a black Audi TT behind me, clambering all over my boot. Any closer and I could have handed over steering duties.

Eventually, I could pull over. He gunned it and then cut me up pulling back in. Ah well.

In the way of these things, a few hundred yards later, we're both at the front row of traffic lights: he's in the inside lane and I'm outside. I glanced over and could tell he was revving up ready to go, to teach Grandpa in that funny car a lesson. I couldn't resist. Lights changed, pedal to the metal and he's nowhere.

Once the point was made, I eased off and pulled back in. He whizzed past, eyes firmly fixed ahead, while the lady in the passenger seat looked over with a grin like a Cheshire Cat.

I felt like the guy in the old Bubble Car song, "Beep Beep", was it?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
I brought a brand new (about 400 miles) 90's Civic back with me on my final tour to Berlin. On the way home I was driving (on the left) like I would in Germany. I took on someone at the lights and was doing quite well until the rev limiter kicked in. :ROFLMAO: o_Oo_O:eek::censored:

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
439 Posts
On the topic of the dragrace apps.. worth pointing out that most smartphones only poll GPS location two or three times per second, and under heavy acceleration it's highly unlikely to be accurate enough to provide results any more accurate than within half a second or so. I remember the pro systems used to use optical road sensors, but I don't know if they still use those any more.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I brought a brand new (about 400 miles) 90's Civic back with me on my final tour to Berlin. On the way home I was driving (on the left) like I would in Germany. I took on someone at the lights and was doing quite well until the rev limiter kicked in. :ROFLMAO: o_Oo_O:eek::censored:

DRIVING ON THE LEFT!!!:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts