Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am looking to buy a golf GTE. It has good power and good price.
I dont have a home charger ATM, but will be getting one after 1-2 month. I have a public charger that i mainly empty so i can charge there sometime. I will be driving 30-40 km a week, small city driving.
So my qeustion is, if my battery goes to 0%, will it damage the battery? Is it possible to live with a gte without a homecharger? Can the engine charge the battery?
I am a noob in the hybrid stuff, so i dont know much. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
No, the battery when at 0%, is actually closer to 20% real charge, which is reserved as a buffer for the hybrid system and to allow engine start.

Long term storage without driving at low charge might be bad, although we would be talking many months. If you drive the car, the battery will be charged by the engine. I would recommend driving it in GTE mode, as this will slowly charge the battery to about 10-12 miles range. Then, do not use this range, until you have access to a charger.

Note that the GTE does not get very good fuel economy if just used as a regular petrol car. You need to charge it to get the best performance.
Also note that below -10C (since you live in Norway, this might be common!) the GTE cannot use pure electric mode - it is hybrid only.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the battery when at 0%, is actually closer to 20% real charge, which is reserved as a buffer for the hybrid system and to allow engine start.

Long term storage without driving at low charge might be bad, although we would be talking many months. If you drive the car, the battery will be charged by the engine. I would recommend driving it in GTE mode, as this will slowly charge the battery to about 10-12 miles range. Then, do not use this range, until you have access to a charger.

Note that the GTE does not get very good fuel economy if just used as a regular petrol car. You need to charge it to get the best performance.
Also note that below -10C (since you live in Norway, this might be common!) the GTE cannot use pure electric mode - it is hybrid only.
THANK YOU!!!, you helped me helped me clarify things so much. I will be getting a homecharger before next winter so hoping thats helps me a bit. If i drive with battery at 0% (20% real charge) for a short peroid of time, like 1-2 days. Will that be safe for me? Sorry for bad english, its not my first language. Cought find any good forums here i norway so i went here.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Long term storage without driving at low charge might be bad, although we would be talking many months.
Slight caveat on this - the manual for my Passat GTE says to keep the battery above 40% if the car isn't going to be used for a few hours and is parked up in "frost conditions". I'd assume the Golf is the same. "Battery Charge" and "Hybrid Hold" modes may be useful here to stay above 40% (although they're not as fun as GTE mode...)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It will be fine. I left my GTE parked up for 2 weeks at 0 miles of range in that time before COVID when you could fly to places. I got into it and it started straight away and still works 2 years later.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I dont have a home charger ATM, but will be getting one after 1-2 month. I have a public charger that i mainly empty so i can charge there sometime. I will be driving 30-40 km a week, small city driving.
So my qeustion is, if my battery goes to 0%, will it damage the battery? Is it possible to live with a gte without a homecharger? Can the engine charge the battery?
It should be fine, but do sort out charging as soon as possible.

The GTE is a great car, but you really need the electric side of it to really enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Slight caveat on this - the manual for my Passat GTE says to keep the battery above 40% if the car isn't going to be used for a few hours and is parked up in "frost conditions". I'd assume the Golf is the same. "Battery Charge" and "Hybrid Hold" modes may be useful here to stay above 40% (although they're not as fun as GTE mode...)
I wonder what they define as 'frost conditions'. I know the GTE can't be 'reliably' started below about -30C, as the battery pack can get too cold, which is what is used to start the engine. If the battery has a higher charge, then it increases the likelihood that it can start properly.

I have never encountered the GTE failing to start the engine, although coldest I have driven down to is around -4C and it started just fine. I note that once below 0C, the electric power output is quite reduced when the battery is low. At 5 miles range (~40% charge) the car has a power limit of 65% normal power, about 50kW max. I suspect the effect will be, as the battery gets ever colder and you get to a lower charge level, that eventually it can't safely output the 10kW or so needed to start the engine, especially with cold oil.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I wonder what they define as 'frost conditions'. I know the GTE can't be 'reliably' started below about -30C, as the battery pack can get too cold, which is what is used to start the engine. If the battery has a higher charge, then it increases the likelihood that it can start properly.

I have never encountered the GTE failing to start the engine, although coldest I have driven down to is around -4C and it started just fine. I note that once below 0C, the electric power output is quite reduced when the battery is low. At 5 miles range (~40% charge) the car has a power limit of 65% normal power, about 50kW max. I suspect the effect will be, as the battery gets ever colder and you get to a lower charge level, that eventually it can't safely output the 10kW or so needed to start the engine, especially with cold oil.
I honestly have no idea and the handbook is very vague on the subject. I've chosen to use below 4C as "frost conditions", because that's when the little snowflake appears on the dash. If the weather report says it'll be below 4C overnight, I set the minimum battery level on the car to be 40% and plug it in immediately when I get home - the rest of the charge is done after midnight to use my cheap rate electricity. My Passat saw down to -10C over winter and didn't have any problems (apart from the charging cable freezing in the socket :mad:), but the EV range was too low for my normal routes, so I basically just always had it in hybrid mode when it was regularly below 0C.

This is what's in my handbook anyway:

·
Registered
11 Posts

Actually, -10c seems not to be the limit. Not even -20c. ICE gets a forced start in my car at around -23c. But this was with preheating of course.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
-10C was the limit for the original Mk7, but it may have been improved for Mk7.5.

I don't know if the battery heats up past the lower threshold, then it may be able to shut the engine down. And preheating may well help too.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Actually, -10c seems not to be the limit. Not even -20c. ICE gets a forced start in my car at around -23c. But this was with preheating of course.
-10C was the limit for the original Mk7, but it may have been improved for Mk7.5.

I don't know if the battery heats up past the lower threshold, then it may be able to shut the engine down. And preheating may well help too.
From what I remember, the manual for my car (which is a 70 plate) says that the limit is based on battery temperature, rather than ambient. I'd assume preheating warms the battery, so that might be where the difference is coming from.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Hi,

I got the og version, not 7.5. What I’m saying that I can drive to the grocery store and back with pure electricity even if its -20c. Done that. But yea, pre-heated the car from we connect first.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
From what I remember, the manual for my car (which is a 70 plate) says that the limit is based on battery temperature, rather than ambient. I'd assume preheating warms the battery, so that might be where the difference is coming from.
Here's what it actually says...

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,134 Posts
There's clearly an error there: the +10C should be -10C.
The GTE does allow EV only use when stored at -4C for over 24 hours, which will mean the battery is well below the +10C quoted.
My 2018 doesn't mention it at all (and it's always worked in UK winters):

·
Registered
79 Posts
Unlike a full electric car, being a PHEV, the GTE’s high voltage battery is never fully charged or fully discharged, since this can damage the battery in the long term. My the Mk8 has a 13kWh battery but only 10.9 is available. Plus, the only way that the engine can start is when moving in electric drive (the engine does not have a starter motor). Additionally, although the range meter/guess-o-meter might show 0% there is always about 3 miles range available which is there if maximum power is needed in the case of emergency (a quick overtake, which might be embarrassing if there is a 114 bhp less available than one thought).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts