Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if the "old" 8" screen can be replaced by the 10.25" screen?

Physically, it would fit (I think?), it is just whether the 10.25" screen is backwards compatible.

I am sure someone will try it. A web search didn't bring anything up.

I think the following statement is for people buying a new Kona;

"The PR for the Kona Upgrade mentioned the following:

As an available upgrade now as well, customers will be able to choose the latest satellite navigation package with new 10.25-inch AVN centre display touch-screen and wide split-screen graphic user interface (GUI)."

·
Registered
167 Posts
Probably, I would absolutely be in the market for that (at a reasonable price) of course.
You have to assume they're replaceable units...

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
75 Posts
It's possible that the software is different so that would, no doubt, be another expense.

Option 2, sell your car and buy a 2020 version - I'm assuming the 2nd-hand value is still high thinking that post-covid, Konas are in short supply.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It's possible that the software is different so that would, no doubt, be another expense.

Option 2, sell your car and buy a 2020 version - I'm assuming the 2nd-hand value is still high thinking that post-covid, Konas are in short supply.
I do not think 2020 konas are in short supply as I say something elsewhere that said you could have a new one within a week.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
It should be but there will be a setting in the software that you would have to change, it's unlikely to auto detect the screen. Setting will be in some system menu. Dealer will be able to access it, so you will be too, someone will know how to get in to it.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
99.999% not a hope, I'm afraid. Too much stuff changes behind the scenes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might be right. However, I wonder whether the recent firmware/software updates are the same for the 8" screen as for the 10.25" screen vehicles? If so, wouldn't that lend credence to there being a system menu option for screen size? Just a (hopeful?) thought.

Can any Kona owners, with a 10.25" screen, post a picture of their software versions page?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The software might support both, but there's a good chance the electronics has changed as well to drive the panel, and it might well detect the panel type dependent on the electronics configuration.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You might be right. However, I wonder whether the recent firmware/software updates are the same for the 8" screen as for the 10.25" screen vehicles? If so, wouldn't that lend credence to there being a system menu option for screen size? Just a (hopeful?) thought.

Can any Kona owners, with a 10.25" screen, post a picture of their software versions page?

2020 Kona. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
432 Posts
99.999% not a hope, I'm afraid. Too much stuff changes behind the scenes.
You may well be right, but I remember swapping out the low Res panel on my T60 ThinkPad for a lovely ips flexview one (I think it gained me about 300 vertical lines), both were standard IBM parts (effectively I upgraded to a T60p). I think I had to edit about two lines in my xorg.conf to make x like it.
I haven't seen a my2020, is the larger screen an option or do all the cars have it? If it's an option, swapping may be easier than you'd think, although you'd need someone to sell you the right screen.
I can't see Hyundai offering it to us, if they did I might well be tempted though.
My car is definitely too new and precious to me to risk messing around myself or with any third party upgrade though.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Agreed, you'd like to think there's some option in the software to support both types of panels and there probably is, but it might be that the 10.25" panel also uses a different driver chip or something like that. Anyway the bottom line is is highly unlikely to be realistically possible :) even though it would be nice!

Reactions: UniqueGeorge

·
Registered
249 Posts

Before swopping you might want to check out the apparent increased Service Schedule for 2020 Kona’s (and Ioniq’s).

I believe that this requires the Traction Battery Coolant to be changed every 4 years or 40k with a total cost of the Full Service, at just under £700!

It is understood that the same does not apply to older models where the requirement remains at 10 years or 100k.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My quote for a five year year service plan on my June 2020 included this price. I have already told the dealer I will be looking to part exchange in year three.

40000 Miles/ 4 Year Service Jun 2024 £534.49
Dan.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My quote for a five year year service plan on my June 2020 included this price. I have already told the dealer I will be looking to part exchange in year three.

40000 Miles/ 4 Year Service Jun 2024 £534.49
Dan.
Thanks for the update.

I was going on ... Kona service costs #1 ... on this Forum from 4 months ago and ... 40k/4yr Coolant Change - New #5 ... from 5 months ago. (Unable to link quotes).

That said, do not fully understand #5 which may have been a third party quote according to the name on the screenshot.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I read somewhere that you CAN potentially replace 8" screen with 10". But the cost is prohibitive.
Someone mentioned broken infotainment on one of the forums or FB group (I think he was from US). He will get entire unit replaced FOC (warranty) but he so asked for the upgrade & prices. He was quoted ~4K-5K for old screen and over 6K for the new screen. I don't remember exact pricing but I think it was in that range.

New screen supposedly also comes with bluelink (like 2020 version) that was missing in 8" version.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I'd need to see both screens and connectors to estimate how tricky switching them might be. It's certainly possible in other cars and isn't too difficult.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts