and
HYUNDAI KONA ELECTRIC HATCHBACK 150kW Premium 64kWh 5dr Auto

·
Super Moderator
12,213 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,213 Posts
Yes -- it is in the specs on their website - only the 64kWh version has the 3-phase charger.

Only useable at 3-phase charge points. Most homes in the UK are single phase.

·
Registered
612 Posts
True, but if you regularly visit public AC destination style chargers that support up to 22kw, might be worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, it's uk models.
I am trying to lease a car they have both on the list.

Maybe 10.5 is the latest model. I found this on the web

Kona Electric received a series of upgrades at the end of 2019. It now features a new 10.5kW three-phase onboard charger for faster charging. In addition, customers opting for the Premium or Premium SE trims benefit from the latest satellite navigation system with a 10.25-inch centre display, including Hyundai’s Bluelink telematics and Connected Car service.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Premium SE in Galactic Grey
234 Posts
I literally completed the lease paperwork on my Kona yesterday, arriving 1st week in September (woohoo!). I've gone and looked at the completed order form and this is what it has on it -
"Hyundai Kona ELECTRIC HATCHBACK 150kW Premium SE 64kWh 5dr Auto [10.5kW Charger]". So I Iooked at the brochure and found this chart. However, in the FAQa section on the web it says "The on-board charger converts the AC energy from your wall-box, into DC energy that can be stored in the High Voltage battery. For example, the Hyundai KONA Electric can be fully charged in 7 hours and 30 minutes with the optional 10.5kW 3-phase on-board charger, which is ideal for overnight charging." As far as I can see on the MY20, this is not an option, but standard and I was not offered any option. I would check if the option without this is the most up to date model.
1596726607378.png

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
There really aren't a lot of options on the Kona in the UK. If you order through the website you get to choose trim level and colour. That's it. Perhaps you can specify some other options if you're talking to the dealer. The 10.5kW charger seems to be standard now, at least on the 64kW variants.

Service pack and floor mats are options (I decided to go PAYG on servicing this time and got some third -party floor mats).

Reactions: andyswarbs

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
110 Posts
I literally completed the lease paperwork on my Kona yesterday, arriving 1st week in September (woohoo!). I've gone and looked at the completed order form and this is what it has on it -
"Hyundai Kona ELECTRIC HATCHBACK 150kW Premium SE 64kWh 5dr Auto [10.5kW Charger]". So I Iooked at the brochure and found this chart. However, in the FAQa section on the web it says "The on-board charger converts the AC energy from your wall-box, into DC energy that can be stored in the High Voltage battery. For example, the Hyundai KONA Electric can be fully charged in 7 hours and 30 minutes with the optional 10.5kW 3-phase on-board charger, which is ideal for overnight charging." As far as I can see on the MY20, this is not an option, but standard and I was not offered any option. I would check if the option without this is the most up to date model.
View attachment 133353
That's absolutely true, but at the same time 'weasle words' as (almost) everybody in the UK will not have access to a 3 phase electric supply "over night" (implies your home). Generally speaking you can only usually extract 7kW on a single phase standard supply so it will take more like 10 hours. That's more than sufficient for most people however and rarely worth the extraordinary cost of a 3 phase charger installation. And of course how many times are you 'empty' and need a full charge anyway? Don't have a Kona but if I was buying one I wouldn't attach any additional value for charging at home. Bodgerx's point is very valid though as there are still quite a lot of 22kW charging points around that you can at least extract 10 kW from if you couldn't find a Rapid charger. "You pays your money you takes your choice" as they say around these parts :)

Enjoy your Kona whatever the specification....I'm envious anyway!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I hope the 10.5kW charge of 3 phase does not revert to 3.6kW on single phase, just like the eUp does. Kona buyers will not be happy with that.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I hope the 10.5kW charge of 3 phase does not revert to 3.6kW on single phase, just like the eUp does. Kona buyers will not be happy with that.
No it doesn't.

Instead it has this really nifty feature whereby it shorts two of the phases together when you're on single phase. Then if you are using a 3-phase Zappi charger that chose to start off with single phase to maximise use of your solar panels, but the sun goes in, the Zappi will switch to 3-phase mode and for some reason doesn't like having two of them shorted.

Or at least it did until Zappi brought out an update to detect the Kona and not switch mode.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
275 Posts
If it's on 3ph it charges at 10.5kW if it's on 1ph it charges at 7.2kW. It has 3 x 16A rectifiers for 3ph, and it uses 2 in parallel for 1ph to draw 32A. If it had 3 x 32A rectifiers it could charge at 22kW on 3ph

1 - 12 of 12 Posts