Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone say how long I would expect to wait for my 30Kwh Leaf to charge from 10% to 90% on a 50KW Chademo charger?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi
I'm usually at 20% and that takes a surprisingly short time of 30-35mins, so from 10% not much longer as the fastest part of the charge starts at a low % of charge.
Surprising in that by the time I've had a comfort break, got and drank my coffee and a cake or savoury of some kind, it's time to unplug. Perhaps I'm getting too relaxed with this charging lark but as I don't rush back I'm at the charger by about 35+mins into the charge and it's always around 90%.
I know it's bad and I should stick to 80% but hey there's never a queue because I'm always charging at rapids around about 8 to 9 at night.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I never watch the time, just take a comfort break and have a snack then wait until I have the reqired % charge, then off we go to the next charge point. (y)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks people. Had the Leaf a while now but only ever use it for sub 100 mile trips. I'm looking at Cardiff - Northumberland. It's 350 miles and I was seeing if it was viable to do it with 3 charges on a Friday evening, but I think it'd be more of a daytime journey!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks people. Had the Leaf a while now but only ever use it for sub 100 mile trips. I'm looking at Cardiff - Northumberland. It's 350 miles and I was seeing if it was viable to do it with 3 charges on a Friday evening, but I think it'd be more of a daytime journey!
I've now done a couple of 700 mile round trips, 350 miles each way. It takes me 4 charges with a mixture of night and day conditions. On the last journey home (to Scotland) the weather had turned a lot colder and I struggled on one leg with a shortage of battery capacity. Slowing my speed down considerably gave me enough power to reach my final charge point without going into turtle mode - good fun and kept my brain going with lots of mental maths :D

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Depends entirely on the temperature of your battery. If you turn up in cold temperatures without having driven very far, then probably 45-50 minutes. If you turn up having already done 70+ miles of motorway driving then as others say, 30-35 minutes. The 30kWh Leaf is fast at rapid charging. After 90%, each additional 1% will take about 3-4 minutes due to tapering.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,631 Posts
So is 93 motorway miles in winter not possible at all?
I'd say you're pushing it. You'll be one of those people annoying everyone by doing 50mph in the inside lane! Unless you can be really, really, really sure of a charge when you arrive. Depends really on what you mean by winter! In summer, I expect 1 mile per 1%, in deep winter I expect around 80 motorway miles.

You'd probably only need 5-10 minutes on a rapid to make it though, depending on your driving style :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just did this tonight on my 30 kwh, it took 26 mins to go from 14% to 88%, I stopped at 88% as the charge tailed of due to low temps (it was 1c) normaly it tails off at 93%

I've now got 34k miles on mine and am strugging to get 1 mile per % in these low temperatures, I think my range is around 90 miles now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts