Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia eNiro 4+, White
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house has a single phase meter with a 100Amp fuse. My House voltage is (under normal circumstances) somewhere around the 240V (measured)
I have Batteries (and inverters) that currently can pull 14.5 Amps
I have an EVSE that can pull 7kW = 30 Amps
I am planning on increasing the batteries so that they can pull 30 Amps

The batteries and EVSE operate at the same time over a 5 hour (soon to be four hour) period at night - so that's the danger point

My baseload is around the 1kW (due to servers and such.) +/- 20% - so say 1.2kW - so 5 Amps

30 (EVSE) +5 (Base) +30 (Batteries) = 65Amps (more than some have a fuse for)
Its unlikely I will be doing any cooking at that sort of time.
I do however have a couple of aircon units on 13Amp sockets which rounding up use 800W each at max (so assume 1Kw=4.1 Amps) which I occasionally use at night in the summer - so might be running during the max pull window. Not often (but sometimes)

So my total draw might be 65+8 (2*4.1) =73 Amps.

I guess my 100Amp fuse might be a bit toasty - should I put a fan on it?

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
My house has a single phase meter with a 100Amp fuse. My House voltage is (under normal circumstances) somewhere around the 240V (measured)
I have Batteries (and inverters) that currently can pull 14.5 Amps
I have an EVSE that can pull 7kW = 30 Amps
I am planning on increasing the batteries so that they can pull 30 Amps

The batteries and EVSE operate at the same time over a 5 hour (soon to be four hour) period at night - so that's the danger point

My baseload is around the 1kW (due to servers and such.) +/- 20% - so say 1.2kW - so 5 Amps

30 (EVSE) +5 (Base) +30 (Batteries) = 65Amps (more than some have a fuse for)
Its unlikely I will be doing any cooking at that sort of time.
I do however have a couple of aircon units on 13Amp sockets which rounding up use 800W each at max (so assume 1Kw=4.1 Amps) which I occasionally use at night in the summer - so might be running during the max pull window. Not often (but sometimes)

So my total draw might be 65+8 (2*4.1) =73 Amps.

I guess my 100Amp fuse might be a bit toasty - should I put a fan on it?
No

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
847 Posts
If it's a 100A fuse, why wouldn't you pull 73A through it?!

Cooling, if anything, would rather defeat the purpose, surely? Allowing it to sustain a higher current than uncooled, and thus burn your house down more easily.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,746 Posts
A couple of years ago when I was having a second 32 amp wall charger fitted they did the usual house audit before sanctioning. The main fuse is 100 amp so it was of concern to them. But eventually, agreed to fit it. I asked them about any potential cost if the company fuse did let go but they said that was unlikely to happen as a 100 amp fuse would actually handle 150 amps, and even 200 amps for an hour or so. They said that was true about most domestic fuses as well and a 13 amp fuse would carry 20 amps indefinitely. An interesting observation. But as to your query, 73 amps through a fuse that is really, but unofficially, capable of double that rating should not present a problem. But then again I'm not a sparky and the usual caveats over internet advice apply. I just write to pass on a discussion that I had with others on this subject.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts