Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We took delivery of our 4+ one month ago, we have a pod point at home from previous EVs.
No matter whether charged via pod point or 3pin plug, at 100% charge the range shown is between 257 and 262, it never reaches the advertised 282. There are no accessories on, such as A/C, heater, heated seats etc. Winter mode on or off makes no difference. Ambient temp in my garage is 10degrees.
We did not experience this phenomenon with previous EVs (2x Leaf) - have any other 4+ owners experienced same?
We are now in the process of calculating real word driving range, but with other varying factors such as driving style, climate etc will I be able to measure a corresponding circa 7%-9% reduction in achievable range?

·
Registered
441 Posts
The car calculates the range based on previous driving data. Not sure what as it's not straight comparison to the average m/kw but I've seen my FE vary between 306 and ~250 based on town or motorway driving, summer or winter etc.

The range is called the guessometer after all

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's based on recent driving. Drive like a snail with no heating on for several hundred miles and it will show more when you next charge it to 100%. The question is though do you really need the extra range, just drive it like normal with heating on etc and enjoy the massive battery that's fitted to the car.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
957 Posts
as I commented here
It’s all about the maths, but your numbers are fine and in line with expectations for this time of year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,
We took delivery of our 4+ one month ago, we have a pod point at home from previous EVs.
No matter whether charged via pod point or 3pin plug, at 100% charge the range shown is between 257 and 262, it never reaches the advertised 282. There are no accessories on, such as A/C, heater, heated seats etc. Winter mode on or off makes no difference. Ambient temp in my garage is 10degrees.
We did not experience this phenomenon with previous EVs (2x Leaf) - have any other 4+ owners experienced same?
We are now in the process of calculating real word driving range, but with other varying factors such as driving style, climate etc will I be able to measure a corresponding circa 7%-9% reduction in achievable range?
I took delivery of my YB 4+ on Tuesday, I only went for a quick run yesterday and then topped up the charge using my 6 year old Rolec home charger last night - charged it up to 99% and on a cold Scottish morning today - 6 deg C - the range read 277 miles.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You're confusing 'range' (the actual distance the car can travel) with the estimated range show by the car. The real world range obviously varies significantly depending on driving style, road type and conditions. If you drove at 30mph you would probably get around 400 miles on a still dry summer's day. The car can't guess how it's going to be driven so it has to come up with an approximation. In my experience of the Leaf 40, it was not capable of achieving the mileage on the GOM under any circumstances and, if driven extremely carefully, it could just about get 140 miles on the motorway.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
957 Posts
I took delivery of my YB 4+ on Tuesday, I only went for a quick run yesterday and then topped up the charge using my 6 year old Rolec home charger last night - charged it up to 99% and on a cold Scottish morning today - 6 deg C - the range read 277 miles.
The distance to empty doesn’t change with temperature as far as I’m aware, it changes based on the averaged mi/kWh. Do a few short runs at those temps and you’ll have a terrible efficiency average, the range-o-meter will drop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The distance to empty doesn’t change with temperature as far as I’m aware, it changes based on the averaged mi/kWh. Do a few short runs at those temps and you’ll have a terrible efficiency average, the range-o-meter will drop.
I absolutely agree - I was responding to a previous post questioning why a 4+ was not showing a DTE of 280 miles. My post was to show that a new 4+ is capable of a 280 mile DTE.

I've been driving Outlander PHEVs for 6 years - a great vehicle until the e-Niro came along. The Outlander PHEV got some criticisms early on who from owners who were only getting a fully charged DTE reading of 16 miles compared to the specified 32 miles - the reason, as you know, is simply that the DTE reading is a calculation of "if you drive the vehicle along the same roads and in the same manner that you have been doing over the last few weeks then you will only get a range of 16 miles - the vehicle is capable of a range of 32 miles if you drive on flatter roads without a leaden right foot and without the air conditioning/heating being flat out. I live on top of a Scottish hill so my DTE in the car was always 16 miles because of the steep hill going home and then after an overnight full charge the next day having a lack of any regeneration on the way down the hill because the battery was already fully charged. I easily got back to a DTE of 32 miles when travelling away from home because I had conditions much nearer to the norm.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
In my experience driving with a similar driving style in summer and winter, the fully charged GOM indication will show a noticeably higher number in the warmer months, suggesting that the temperature itself is the changing factor influencing the range.

·
Registered
441 Posts
In my experience driving with a similar driving style in summer and winter, the fully charged GOM indication will show a noticeably higher number in the warmer months, suggesting that the temperature itself is the changing factor influencing the range.
Effectively the temperature will have an effect on how the electrons move in the battery.
The chemical to electrical transition will be less efficient at lower temps.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
957 Posts
The battery is more effective when warmer. Some models of Niro have a battery heater, which is why mi/kWh will be lower on short journeys. I'm pretty confident the temperature itself doesn't come into the calculation, however all other things being equal the whole system will be better in summer, hence you get higher mi/kWh, hence the DTE shows a higher figure. It's all about that average. So because I've only been doing longer journeys, even when the external temp is 3 degrees, it still shows 288 miles at 100%

So you're right that the temperature does have a significant effect on the range, it's just the GOM doesn't take it into consideration.

·
Registered
Ex MY20 4 - MY21 4+ Due January
156 Posts
The ‘projected’ range as previously stated is a calculation based on recent driving history.
You can do the calculation yourself using the miles per kW figure displayed on the screen. (The figure is naturally an ‘average’ and will change according to driving style)
On our model 4 earlier this year our average ranged between 4.3 and 4.6 miles per kW.
So 64kW multiplied by 4.6...
We saw as much as 304 miles indicated with a 100% charge.

·
Registered
Ex MY20 4 - MY21 4+ Due January
156 Posts
The ‘projected’ range as previously stated is a calculation based on recent driving history.
You can do the calculation yourself using the miles per kW figure displayed on the screen. (The figure is naturally an ‘average’ and will change according to driving style)
On our model 4 earlier this year our average ranged between 4.3 and 4.6 miles per kW.
So 64kW multiplied by 4.6...
We saw as much as 304 miles indicated with a 100% charge.
... and 304 divided by 64...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
To reiterate the other posts but having also owned leafs...
The leaf GOM was hopelessly optimistic - especially the Japanese gen 1. Hilariously wrong.
The 30kWh was a bit more realistic but still very optimistic.
I did once match the GOM summers days on slow country lanes!
I always used the percentage on the leaf and did calculations in my head (leafdd on the gen 1!).

The Niro is remarkably accurate and reflects your driving pretty well.
The number I see if something that I think I could realistically achieve without hypermiling :)
It's all good (y)

·
Registered
276 Posts
The car calculates the range based on previous driving data. Not sure what as it's not straight comparison to the average m/kw but I've seen my FE vary between 306 and ~250 based on town or motorway driving, summer or winter etc.

The range is called the guessometer after all

Snap. Regularly over 300 miles in summer and 250-ish in winter. Did 220-mile round trip back in July -- all in SPORT mode -- and got home with over 100 miles still to go. Short local trips recently -- lucky to see 4 miles/kWh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts