Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

100% charge not 100%?!

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  PaulD 
#1 ·
Hi all
I've had my M3P since December and we're getting on famously. Until now I've only ever charged to 80% which gives me a reported 272 miles. Today I have done a full charge but it has only taken it to 306 miles. By my maths, if 272 = 80% then 100% would be 340 miles. Neither are the 352 miles as stated on the Tesla website but I was at least expecting 340. Is this just another Tesla anomaly or am I missing something?

TIA

#2 ·
Whilst 80% is always 80%, 272 is not always the range you’ll get from it.

That figure is a prediction, and varies with temperature, weather and how you’re driving/how you’ve driven last time out. It does in non Tesla’s anyway, so unless Tesla do it differently...

No EV meets its WLTP advertised range in the real world, the same as with non EVs.

You’ve charged to 100% as we’ve just gone into another coldish spell, hence the lower predicted range. When batteries are cold, they also shrink in capacity, which robs some range.

How far you actually get on a given charge is the only thing that matters.

#3 ·
Whilst 80% is always 80%, 272 is not always the range you’ll get from it.

That figure is a prediction, and varies with temperature, weather and how you’re driving/how you’ve driven last time out. It does in non Tesla’s anyway, so unless Tesla do it differently...

No EV meets its WLTP advertised range in the real world, the same as with non EVs.

You’ve charged to 100% as we’ve just gone into another coldish spell, hence the lower predicted range. When batteries are cold, they also shrink in capacity, which robs some range.

How far you actually get on a given charge is the only thing that matters.
272 is the range it always tells me on an 80% charge whether it is warm or cold and whether I've been driving like a loon or a grandad. In the real world I'll get nothing close to 272 - probably more like 200 and I understand why that is. I just figured that "filling it up" the final 20% would give me proportionally more charge... that's kinda how percentages work isn't it?!

#6 ·
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that despite the Tesla website stating a WLTP range, the car's system is actually based on EPA range. So for the Performance, it's EPA range is 315 miles, so you're not too far off with 302 miles. Throw in the other factors that Tooks mentioned and that will explain the slight discrepancy.

#8 ·
From what I've read, it seems the best approach is to set the display to battery percentage only and forget about the range figure.
Use ABRP (a better route planner) app or website to plan routes and it will calculate energy required and offer (Tesla) chargers en-route with minimal charge required to get to destination/next charger.
The car's own route planner also will give (better) range/energy estimates and any necessary (Tesla) chargers en-route).
Use the energy graph to show better energy usage and prediction.

As for charge level keep it between 40 and 80 percent unless going somewhere.
Try not to go below 20% unless you're near a charger.
If you are planning on a long journey charge up to 100% but don't leave it long in that state (i.e. not the day or longer before leaving)
NB if you charge to 100% your regen will be limited as there no "space" left in the battery to put it!

#10 ·
From what I've read, it seems the best approach is to set the display to battery percentage only and forget about the range figure.
Use ABRP (a better route planner) app or website to plan routes and it will calculate energy required and offer (Tesla) chargers en-route with minimal charge required to get to destination/next charger.
The car's own route planner also will give (better) range/energy estimates and any necessary (Tesla) chargers en-route).
Use the energy graph to show better energy usage and prediction.

As for charge level keep it between 40 and 80 percent unless going somewhere.
Try not to go below 20% unless you're near a charger.
If you are planning on a long journey charge up to 100% but don't leave it long in that state (i.e. not the day or longer before leaving)
NB if you charge to 100% your regen will be limited as there no "space" left in the battery to put it!
I agree with most of the comments here but would add from my own experience. I have done nearly 18k miles in a SR+. Some of my trips are 465+ miles in a day. I tried ABRP and it is good but I don't use it anymore. I simply use the SatNav in the car. It tells me when I need two charge, where and for how long. If I want to arrive at a subsequent stop or destination with higher than forecast SoC I simply add more charge on a previous stop.

#9 ·
Tesla are "known" for basing range solely on EPA estimate. From their own website FAQs;

Displayed range is based on regulating agency certification (EPA) and is not adapted based on driving pattern. Your driving behaviors and environmental conditions can impact your car's efficiency, and therefore its range. To see estimated range based on personalized energy consumption, open the Energy app.

..or outside the US;

Displayed range is based on regulating agency certification (WLTP) and is not adapted based on driving pattern. Your driving behaviors and environmental conditions can impact your car's efficiency, and therefore its range. To see estimated range based on personalized energy consumption, open the Energy app.

So a given percentage will always report the same range, whatever weather and driving habits......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.