Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a thread about this. Plenty of 40/50/60 miles post for the Ampera though.

I passed 100 miles on a charge yesterday for the 1st time. The battery % went to ---- when it would have dropped to 7% and the GOM disappeared at around 10 miles.
This is in a 14 reg Acenta.

My work journey is around 45 miles each day so every 2 days charging is possible in the present weather conditions.
I probably will just plug in every night though as why not?

I do wonder how long till turtle head mode after I got to this stage?? I think there may have been around 6% battery left?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
you need leafspy with a bluetooth OBD adapator mate. You can easily see exactly what's left.

IMO the car not showing the %age remaining after 7% is bloody annoying - as are all the various alarms.

I know my battery is low when it's low, and most sane people would already be close to a charge point by that stage, so why the audible warning & lights & dashes?

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Impressive! Still never completed a trip over 63 miles myself :D

Reactions: ddd

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great work on breaking the 100 mile mark! Most I've managed is 93 in my Mk1 (had apprehensively planned a 70 mile journey then missed my junction coming on to the M25!). Got home with about 5 miles left from memory.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed I can get my new leaf to work and back (82 miles) on a single charge? Will find out on Wednesday!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Can you imagine how slow you would need to drive to get anywhere close to 100 miles from the Ampera !
I'm sure I read that the best ever was in the 80's, some lady in the USA in a monster traffic jam ....

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I just made it home (Southend) from the Cambridge services with all the low battery warnings flashing away. I use the old route, which is now B184 (used to be the A130 years ago) via Saffron Walden, Thaxted and Dunmow. I charged to 82% and that trip is about 65 miles. The roads were a bit wet, and I could have been a bit more circumspect with my speed on the new A130 (Rettendon bypass).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just had an email from Google that I have £15 credit about to expire. I'll get the leaf app with that as suggested and then really know battery state.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Managed 93 on a run yesterday past Abington from Dalkeith and then return. All done in B, without ECO mode, and with heating/AC on for the last 5 miles. LEAF Spy Pro indicated there was still around 9% charge left and 7 GIDS, but I didn't want to push things too much. Off to do something similar today in the name of science!
Abington.jpg

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm wondering, after yesterday's escapades, how much hills dent the range. Obviously, going up hills hits the battery, but it's possible on the descent to go prodigious distances with hardly any electricity use, and a bit of regeneration.

I left Ashton yesterday with 80% in the battery, aiming for Tibshelf, over the Snake Pass and via Chesterfield. The distance was about 60 miles and I still had about 20% in the battery when I got there. That's about the same economy I get on the flat.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Interesting that the Leaf has a 24kWh battery and few are achieving 100 miles when the Volt/Ampera only has around 10kWh to play with and yet it is pretty easy to reach 50 miles, even with the extra weight of the ICE.
They have a similar type of motor with permanent magnets which should give equally high efficiency.

Could it be that Leaf drivers are old softies and need the air con running all the time? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well, that's me in the 100 mile club too :D

Didn't use ECO. Started with 103 miles range indicated (106 with ECO), and took the car down to the turtle with 3.4% SOC and 5 GIDS remaining. Batteries were at around 28 Degrees Celsius by the end of the trip.

Never ceases to amaze me just how far these can go when the dash is telling you there's nothing left... :cool:

100 mile club.jpg

·
Registered
377 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts