Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticeable the difference as it gets warmer. Just over 100 miles driven in commute and for work today. 20 motorway the rest town. Heavy rain for perhaps 20 miles. Temp 11 c. One to two passengers for perhaps half the journey. Drove with the road but trying to keep to pace of traffic. One bar so about 5 miles left. 2013 uk Leaf 13000 miles driven.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Having the climate control (namely the heater and blower) turned off makes a huge improvement in range. So as the weather warms up and the demand on the heater and blower decreases the range will increase considerably. Of course, turning off the climate control is not always feasible... especially when you need to keep the windshield defogged. On cold, wet days when the climate controls are in "comfort" setting the 2012 Volt will have a range of 25 miles. On warmer days when the climate controls are off entirely the Volt will have a range of 40 miles. Also smart acceleration, braking, and use of regen are factors, as well.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed Lee. Though others have used anti fogging treatments and reported success. And even if using the climate control becomes essential you can do it for quick bursts.

Would expect 20% loss in range if heating on for full journeym

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
AFAIK Ford patented it and that is why no other cars had it for a long time. Kind of surprising that they did not allow Volvo to use it too when they owned them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You can get it on Volvo's it was an optional extra on mine.

It would be brilliant to have it on the leaf.

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
I just put the heater on, cos, you know, I like to be warm...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put a jumper on you wuss....! ;)

(more seriously and respectfully....each to their own! The lack of charging and my work means driving 100 miles from a charge is occasionally neccesary. Make sure I am dressed so I stay warm though.....and if I am honest I actually quite enjoy saving that little bit more energy!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts