Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my leaf was delivered on 26 feb 2014 and i have just covered 1000 miles, i know its not a lot of driving but i have only used her for work and a few local journeys but she is still **AMAZING**. I will try longer journeys when i need to, but i am just easing myself in slowly.
I read all the posts on here and have to say you guys are great i have learned so much and still have more to learn particularly with the leaf spy app.
I had noticed there were no chargers in Basingstoke Town Centre before i bought my leaf,and not that many locally so i have emailed the relevant department and am awaiting a response,will let you know more when i do.
Keep up the good work peeps because although i and probably a few others dont always post and give likes and such forth we do read the posts daily.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Graham - welcome!
When in Basingstoke I use the charger at Toyota - they unit is available 24/7 - and they are very agreeable to all marks! Nissan directly opposite has a charger - in the yard! You can use it, with difficulty, during business hours! Several times we used the Hampshire Grange and took the bus into town - quite convenient - if you are having a long stop. However, now that Fleet charger has a rapid, these chargers seem obsolete? Certainly, going to from Wokingham 20 miles away!
Dont forget to join EVDA - its free!:cool::cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Graham - welcome!
When in Basingstoke I use the charger at Toyota - they unit is available 24/7 - and they are very agreeable to all marks! Nissan directly opposite has a charger - in the yard! You can use it, with difficulty, during business hours! Several times we used the Hampshire Grange and took the bus into town - quite convenient - if you are having a long stop. However, now that Fleet charger has a rapid, these chargers seem obsolete? Certainly, going to from Wokingham 20 miles away!
Dont forget to join EVDA - its free!:cool::cool:
Hi Brian your right there are a few as you mention, Audleys Wood,Hampshire Court and of course the Toyota and Nissan you mention and i have used the rapids at Fleet services both ways but i am like a lot of people and dont really need local charging as i can charge at home, i thought it would be better for other people if we actually had something in the town centre and car parks so that was why i emailed some of the the local concillors,am waiting patiently for a reply.I will certainly join EVDA as i am still excited by the fact i spent my entire car budget on an ev and still find it so **AMAZING** lol.
I must be hooked because i spend more reading the forums than i do driving the leaf.

·
Banned
558 Posts
[QUOTE ]. . i thought it would be better for other people if we actually had something in the town centre and car parks so that was why i emailed some of the the local concillors,am waiting patiently for a reply . . [/QUOTE]
As it turns our I did go to the Management Company in the Basingstoke shopping centre and did make a written submission - nearly one year ago. I've heard nothing since.
However, advocating chargers is a double edged sword as you can read from the thread on M/Keynes. Some operators of shopping centres see charging as a revenue source - like parking and they are easy prey to charge point operators with their slick posts and clever technology! However, the charges now look exorbitant and the reliability is pitiful. As EVDA we want to make recommendations for the right chargers in the right place! However EVDA is looking for manpower to do the analysis and deliver the 'right message' to the right people. Its work to be done!
Brian - Strategy and Comms, EVDA-UK

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian
i have received the following emails from Ian Mawer Senior Planner at B.D.B.C, i take your point as to the relevance of charging point operators and also locations.I have been following the MK debacle and would hope that lessons can be learnt from this though i doubt it.

Dear Mr Steele,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I am pleased to inform you that the borough council and its partners are looking to implement some public electric vehicle charging infrastructure in the borough, examples of which are detailed below:

Churchill Way – Long Stay Car Park
The Borough Council has offered two parking spaces to enable Hampshire County Council to install two 7kw (3-4 hour charge) electric vehicle charging points in this borough council controlled car park. The charge points will be installed, maintained and operated by SSE as part of a PFI agreement.

A303 – Little Chef Car Park
The County Council in conjunction with SSE are installing a number of rapid chargers on the strategic highway network across the County. One of these will be installed in the A303 Little Chef Car Park. It is anticipated that this charger will be operational by the end of June 2014.

Basingstoke Town Centre
The Council is seeking to implement a triple head Rapid Charger in a Basingstoke Town Centre public car park that is accessible 24 hours a day. The location will be determined following detailed site assessment work that is due to commence in the near future.

Motorway Network

Motorway Service Stations – there are an increasing number of electric vehicle rapid chargers being installed on the Motorway Network. Rapid chargers are available at both Fleet Services and Winchester Services on the M3 motorway.
In addition, the recently approved John Lewis / Waitrose development will provide electric vehicle charging points within its car park.

The following website (which I am sure you have visited) provides location details for contains EV charge points across the UK and is updated frequently:
https://www.goultralow.com/how-do-i-power/charging-on-the-go/

I hope the above information is useful and if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Ian Mawer
Senior Planner
Planning Policy / Transport Strategy
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council
Tel (direct): 01256 845532
Fax: 01256 845200.

Dear Cllr Mawer

Thank you for your reply,this is indeed fantastic news that plans are in action to install charge points for ev’s in the town centre, i am not so sure about the A303 Little Chef Car Park as i do believe they have one installed west bound already although i am not sure of its serviceability state or indeed who operates it.(I will take a trip out there at the weekend and check for myself) so perhaps it may be wise to research that site and if this is the case possibly spend the money for that one elsewhere.Of course the John Lewis/Waitrose was really expected because they do provide charge points at some of their outlets already.
If you can forgive while i am in full flow, may i just ask about timings are any preliminary dates set yet, and if they will be chargeable or free, although i realise this is down to the installer it would be nice to have a few more facts as i will post on the ev forums.

Thank you for your time and best regards
Graham Steele

Dear Mr Steele,

With regards to charger at the Little Chef this project is being managed by HCC who would have selected the site following a detailed selection process. I gather that initially there would be no charge for the electricity at this site, although I will try and get an update of the latest position for you.

In terms of the proposed chargers at Churchill Way car park, again this project is being managed by HCC so I am unable to comment on timescales for implementation. I will however contact HCC and see if I can get an update for you. I believe the intention at this site is that there would be no charge for electricity at this location, although standard parking charges would apply.

Turning to the Basingstoke Town Centre rapid charger, I am hopeful that this facility will be operational by the end of Summer. I can confirm that users will be charged for charging at this location (please note the cost of a charge is to be determined). However, at the preferred location for the charger (subject to change following a detailed site survey) the first 30 minutes of parking is free which works well with the concept of a rapid charger.

I will let you know once I have more information on the various schemes detailed above.

Regards

Ian Mawer

Senior Planner

Planning Policy / Transport Strategy

Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council

Tel (direct): 01256 845532

1 - 6 of 6 Posts