Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You all know... I am always really up for pushing the limits with long EV trips but I had to chuckle to myself when I watched this video. I feel as if I am being unkind and unsupportive but there is pushing the limits... and then there is this...

The first thing that is a concern is that I gather from that video that he is doing it on his own. 24 hrs on the road on your own is not safe and not a sensible thing to do IMO. I hope he is safe but I would not recommend this trip solo.

Next, and this will be the show stopper... I have done 400 miles in a day with 10 rapid charges and that put the battery temp up on the red line. I could not have done anymore without risking serious damage to the battery... if it let me that is. I believe that 10 rapid charges is about the limit in a single day for the Leaf and so the sensible limit of range for a Mk1 Leaf is probably 500 or so miles... perhaps more for a Mk2 but perhaps not because it is the charging that heats up the battery.

Not sure how he intends getting up to Thurso. Is there a rapid charger route all the way to the north of Scotland now?

I hope he stays safe and doesn't cook his battery.

·
Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
Subs on youtube are a little patchy but seems like he's planning to sleep while charging!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Subs on youtube are a little patchy but seems like he's planning to sleep while charging!
errrm... that isn't sleep... it is napping at best and at 30-45 mins at a time max, isn't going to help much tbh. In fact, it could make him even more fatigued.

If there were two on this trip and the driving was shared then fair enough but 24hrs on the road with nothing but short catnaps is nothing short of silly IMO. Sorry.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@dpeilow and I did this on our end to end drive. However, we had almost 3.5 hours sleep and at one hotel a room :)

The pattern we established was 3.5 hours as driver, 3.5 hours charge, 3.5 hours as navigator... it really was a very relaxed trip :cool:

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
It seems he planned his trip using Zap-Map which still shows the Highlands Council "rapid" chargers as 50kW CHAdeMO chargers rather than the 7kW Type-2 chargers they actually got for their money. There are lessons here!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not sure how he intends getting up to Thurso. Is there a rapid charger route all the way to the north of Scotland now?
Not that I'm aware of and I live 20 miles west of Thurso. There are chargers at Asda in Tain and a charger in the car park in Helmsdale all on route to Thurso.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Not that I'm aware of and I live 20 miles west of Thurso. There are chargers at Asda in Tain and a charger in the car park in Helmsdale all on route to Thurso.
Do you remember all those rapid chargers that Highlands Council claimed to have installed that turned out to only be 7kW units....?

·
Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
Yeah looks like 4 hours in a car park in Helmsdale (only 2 hours in a 6.6kw car!)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Do you remember all those rapid chargers that Highlands Council claimed to have installed that turned out to only be 7kW units....?
Yes, but only know of the one charger in the far north in Helmsdale that the council have installed, not sure what type it is. Don't know that the council has installed any others up here. The only others I know of up here are ZeroNet.
With the local windfarm income the communities get I've suggested they install a charger at my local village hall. Probably will fall on deaf ears.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I suggested he might try Land's End to John O'Groats but looks as if the rapid charging dependency has finaly sunk in :confused:

"Think I am going to have to go up to Edinburgh and then back down as far south as I can in 24hrs there are some dodgy going on's in Scotland apparently where some Rapids are not actually Rapids ;)"

@Paul_Churchley recent trips;

"As suggested by a kind man that pointed out to me the naughty scottish chargers - its 970 from landsend - edinburgh - london"

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ellen McArthur didn't sleep for more than 30mins the whole way round the world, so surely it's possible for a day?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ellen McArthur didn't sleep for more than 30mins the whole way round the world, so surely it's possible for a day?
I think the question you need to ask is do you want a sleep deprived driver on the motorway? It seems a rather high risk journey on your own and almost certainly not insurable on the public road.

"Driver fatigue is a serious problem resulting in many thousands of road accidents each year. It is not possible to calculate the exact number of sleep related accidents but research shows that driver fatigue may be a contributory factor in up to 20% of road accidents 1, and up to one quarter of fatal and serious accidents 2."

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/driving/driverfatigue/

I love road trips but think we have to ensure they are safe and think about the wider consequences of an EV accident :(

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
Sunderland to Reigate Mk2 Leaf 330 Miles battery temp was on the red zone and stayed high for a further day.
That trip was also 9 Hours with charging. cant see it somehow.
Hope he doesn't hurt himself or anyone else, still at least its a simple case under section 2 of the rta1988
Dangerous Driving as the driver would be driving when knowingly deprived of adequate sleep or rest. ;)

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay
1 - 20 of 30 Posts