Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1000 Miles in 24hrs in an EV

3K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Snaxmuppet 
You all know... I am always really up for pushing the limits with long EV trips but I had to chuckle to myself when I watched this video. I feel as if I am being unkind and unsupportive but there is pushing the limits... and then there is this...

The first thing that is a concern is that I gather from that video that he is doing it on his own. 24 hrs on the road on your own is not safe and not a sensible thing to do IMO. I hope he is safe but I would not recommend this trip solo.

Next, and this will be the show stopper... I have done 400 miles in a day with 10 rapid charges and that put the battery temp up on the red line. I could not have done anymore without risking serious damage to the battery... if it let me that is. I believe that 10 rapid charges is about the limit in a single day for the Leaf and so the sensible limit of range for a Mk1 Leaf is probably 500 or so miles... perhaps more for a Mk2 but perhaps not because it is the charging that heats up the battery.

Not sure how he intends getting up to Thurso. Is there a rapid charger route all the way to the north of Scotland now?

I hope he stays safe and doesn't cook his battery.

Subs on youtube are a little patchy but seems like he's planning to sleep while charging!
errrm... that isn't sleep... it is napping at best and at 30-45 mins at a time max, isn't going to help much tbh. In fact, it could make him even more fatigued.

If there were two on this trip and the driving was shared then fair enough but 24hrs on the road with nothing but short catnaps is nothing short of silly IMO. Sorry.

We will always need rapid chargers. It just means we would need them on less of our journeys. :)

Reactions: Paul and Matt Beard
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.