Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
A very enjoyable read not to mention adventure. I muse at Paul's C.'s predicament if he had been following you in his Nissan Leaf. Looks like public charging still has a lot of fine tuning to do in the future to make a trip across the UK let alone Europe an electric dream come true.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
That is why I also have an Ampera!!! :)

Having said that, I have successfully driven my Nissan Leaf all over the UK (yes, and even from Cornwall to Scotland) using a combination of Nissan dealers, public charging and hotels (no ZCW stations as the hotels were at that time mostly very expensive... that has changed since I am pelased to say).

The public networks are changing and developing in the right direction as far as I can see. POLAR, Engenie, CYC and Pod-Point are all going to PAYG. We have been shouting for PAYG and finally they are giving us it. When these networks are in place 1-2 years I would imagine) so we will be able to charge more easily.

The next couple of years should be very exciting.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
50 MPG sounds about right as he did most of those miles on petrol and (unlike some of us) was probably driving over 70 MPH on the motorway :-D

If an Ampera owner is mainly commuting using EV mode, a journey like this once or twice a year would not impact their overall MPG too much :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
proddick said:
50 MPG sounds about right as he did most of those miles on petrol and (unlike some of us) was probably driving over 70 MPH on the motorway :-D
I don't know the trip details but suspect you are correct that they pushed on a bit. It's such a shame that they public charging was so poor because I really wanted to see what this car could do on a long trip with 16A charging.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The reality is that even with 16A charging the Ampera/Volt is never going to get great MPG on a long trip, unless someone is prepared to take lots of long Welcome Breaks!

If I drive to North Wales (my homeland) it is about 220 miles and I only tend to stop once at the M6 toll services, rarely for more than 30 minutes. I am yet to drive there in the Ampera, but will be doing soon and my expectations are mid to high 40s. I am OK with this as it is a drive I do every 3 months or so.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
A drive of 220 miles, starting with a full battery, will give you much more than high 40's unless you completely tank it!

We did a trip of 224miles and without a stop. We tend to drive at between 60 and 70mph on long trips as it gives better fuel consumption whether on battery or petrol. We returned 62.4mpg overall.

20120522_175633 by Paul Churchley, on Flickr

I originally thought that stopping on route and charging with the Ampera wasn't going to be of much benefit but I now think I was wrong providing you don't have to spend much extra to charge or go out of your way from your normal route. I did a 267 mile trip stopping for about 1.5 hrs for lunch at an Ecotricity Welcome Break and it returned 61.3mpg. We would have stopped there anyway and so being able to charge for that time significantly helped the MPG figures.

Had I used a type2 cable and been able to charge at 16A it would have been even better! Cable is now on the way.

20120517_174129 by Paul Churchley, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
On shorter motorway trips I am happy to set the cruise at 66 but for the Wales jaunt I don't want to spend all day in the car (alone) so suspect it will be more like 77 :)

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
On a 180 mile trip I got 50 mpg. I was pushing on a bit.

I've done several long trips like this, but after 3300 miles I'm at:

This is despite my heavy right foot. My drive to work is 30 miles, so perfect for racking up a lot of EV miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts