Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1000 new EVs in Germany, more on the way.

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  proddick 
#1 ·
The German post office is now manufacturing its own electric vehicles.
Deutsche Post van signals new entrant threat to auto industry

Personally, I think this is a great expression of the possibilities EVs really offer. I have been trying to say for quite a long time that EVs are amazingly cheap to produce but few people believe me. The quote at the very end is interesting.
"It did not cost billions to develop and produce. You will not believe how cheap it is to make."

DP obviously has the huge advantage that they can sell each vehicle they produce to themselves so they do not need to worry about negative customer feedback. They do not need to spend money on Motor shows, advertising, promotion etc.
They built the vehicle for the same reason I built the LUKA EV. There was no suitable vehicles on the market so they went & built one.
Everything in the article backs up my own experience. It really does take 1/10th of the labor & all components can be bought ''off the shelf''

It is fantastic & I hope many others follow in their footsteps. It can lead to proper distributed building of cars, real choice & real competition. EVs open up the tantalizing possibility of almost every decent sized city having their own car company, making the cars locally that local people really want. No need for the giant companies lobbying & cheating their way out of lowering emissions.

Production may only be 5000 a year now. However, because they have simplified the build, they could easily ramp this build to be bigger than Tesla with almost effort. No giga factory required just some standard excellent German process engineering. The van is designed to last 16 years, another poke in the eye to established car manufactures who want us to change vehicles each 3 years. As icing on the cake they even managed to upset VW !

Well done Deutsche post. Hopefully more will follow.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I wonder how they're paying for their electricity. I was in Cologne recently, where the locals are paying 0.28 Euro per kWh - about twice what we pay over here! This makes Evs less viable there. No wonder we saw very few BEVs/Phevs during the 2 weeks we were abroad!

#4 ·
A bit of a German stretch to say they built it themselves (defeat device anyone?) They acquired the company...

DHL | Press Release | English

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.