Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Ampera new from Thurlow Nunn in Milton Keynes, collecting it mid June this year and have commuted regularly 45 miles each way since then, quickly racking up 10K miles. Earlier in the year I was weighing up the Ampera against the I3 REX, but based on price / availability am very pleased with my choice with the Ampera exceeding my expectations in almost all areas.

- Gadget-ty dashboard (it appeals to the gadgetman in me)
- Instant acceleration
- Smooth, stress-free driving style
- Performance in Sport mode (certainly vs the ‘golf -buggy’ expectations of some of my pals)
- Parking sensors / reversing camera
- Sound system (Bose system) combined with the quietness of the car
- Styling
- Build quality – the doors shut better than any Vauxhall I’ve had before, and a complete absence of rattles. Does Detroit build a better car than GM’s European plants?

Dislikes:
- Sat Nav – needing to know both Postcode and full address is frustrating. Saab had developed a far superior system than this Opel based one….shame it wasn’t used
- Still learning how to use the de-mist options to maximise range without the windows fogging up

Statistics:
- Fuel usage in first 10K miles = 22.1 gallons, equating to >450mpg
- Costs: I charge at home (Chargemaster) and in a driveway near work through a park and charge arrangement I negotiated with a local resident, and have paid approx. £420 for electricity during first 10K miles. Add in 22 galls of petrol = £120, so £560 total or 5.6pence per mile running costs.
- Compare that with my previous ICE alternative @40mpg = 250 galls or £1375 or 13.7pence per mile
- I’ve filled up 4 times so far, but still tend to ‘default’ to ICE mode re-fuelling once petrol range falls below 50 miles. Who says Ampera drivers don’t suffer range anxiety?
- Max range on a single charge = 54.5 miles on a single charge: outside temp around 22C and a/c in Eco mode.

Warranty Repairs:
- I had water ingress into one of the rear lense reflectors on the tailgate and had them both replaced under warranty by Thurlow Nunn (MK) with no quibble. That seems to have fixed the problem and except for that, touch wood, no issues!

Summary:
- A remarkable car: distinctive, futuristic styling, smooth and stress free drive, rock bottom running costs – and the icing on the cake is that I can write it off 100% in this tax year. So, where’s the downside?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Agreed, agreed, agreed.

The biggest difficulty I'm having is understanding why vauxhall haven't been able to sell more of them. So many people I know just haven't heard of them and wouldn't know to go looking for one. I know the price was an issue but not so much now, and the 'only' four seats might be a problem for some but there are others with similar restrictions and plenty of people buy coupes with little room in the rear.

Heck I've a 23 year old Lotus in the garage that is more common than the Ampera!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Agreed, it's brilliant - 6000 miles @ 156mpg in 6 months. The sad thing is it never stood a chance at £35k, and even now the list price is still about £32k (even if no-one pays it) which means that it's not as attractive as it could be tax-wise. They're making a huge loss on each of these run-out ones they sell, but they couldn't see (like Mitsubishi has with its PHEV which is EVERYWHERE) that these are loss-leader cars to build up market share and EV credibility.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Agreed, agreed, agreed.

The biggest difficulty I'm having is understanding why vauxhall haven't been able to sell more of them. So many people I know just haven't heard of them and wouldn't know to go looking for one. I know the price was an issue but not so much now, and the 'only' four seats might be a problem for some but there are others with similar restrictions and plenty of people buy coupes with little room in the rear.

Heck I've a 23 year old Lotus in the garage that is more common than the Ampera!
I also am astounded (never used that word before for a car) how good the Ampera/Volt is as an all rounder.
How often do you get so many car owners being so positive about one model as we are?

Chevrolet/Vauxhall/Opel's short sightedness in not spending on advertising when it was car of the year has got to be one of the reasons it failed to sell. It should have been advertised as a drivers car in the way that BMW/Merc do.
The high original purchase price was not much more than a similar BMW or Mercedes and it has a finish to match. (My previous ICE car was an M3.)
The Satnav is a surprising failure and due to a bean counter I guess. It is only software after all and there must be a large number available to an OEM like GMC.
Headlights are pants, arguably dangerous and again that bean counter had a look in there, my 2002 M3 had the best HID's I have ever experienced.
I upgraded the projector headlights on my Vortex EV to 55 watt HIDS and never looked back. Brilliant and they do not dazzle oncoming traffic so will be sorting these soon.
My Elise has had 33 watt HIDs for years and never failed an MOT.

The Bose sound and hard disk music really make it for me. Again the music quality is better than my old M3's system by far.
The car is silent.............no bumps, rattles, whistles or vibration at any speed. Its instant acceleration when moving at city traffic speeds is simply amazing even though I am used to EV power after driving them for more than five years.
When gently gliding from traffic lights, I still leave the ICE's far behind.

One very happy owner.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
The price problem is that they tried to pitch it against a BMW or an Audi, and with the best will in the world, no-one is going to spend £35k-£40k on a Vauxhall. I'm a big fan of Vauxhalls but they are not a premium brand (and never will be) and that was where it failed; if they'd stuck a Cadillac badge on it, ironically, they might have got somewhere.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Great thread and I know our US employees love the Volt... we looked at purchasing the Ampera for our UK business but the Outlander was a lot cheaper and had no questions on support going forward.

I really hope Vauxhall are more serious with the next generation Ampera because we will look at it seriously once again :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts