Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i’m pretty certain you’ve already seen Bjørn’s 1000km challenge in the new Zoe, but if not here’s the link:

For me it’s still on order and a happy purchase, following these caveats:
  • i’ll drive 1000 km in a day likely never, even with a regular car it’s just too long to sit my ass for 9+ hours* focused on the road without a nap or sleepover.
  • I think the car in the test had the ZE40 battery, otherwise can’t explain the low range
  • winter conditions during the test, there was some serious rain during the livestream, consumption was accordingly high

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
It can't have had the ze40 battery. It's a new model Zoe.

What miles per kWh was it doing?
He quoted 230 Wh/km which (according to the calculator on t'internet) is 4.3 m/kWh. Which isn't bad given the conditions. I'm sitting on 4 m/kWh at the moment.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stand corrected about the battery capacity, though I don't understand why it's still on the German website... :?

·
Registered
526 Posts
It can't have had the ze40 battery. It's a new model Zoe.

What miles per kWh was it doing?
40kwh battery is still an option in the new version, isn't it? We had a whole argument recently about how it was going to be a 52kwh battery software locked to the reduced capacity...

That said, Bjorn has expressed disappointment at the range of the new Zoe in the past, so maybe this is par for the course, where he is and how he drives at least.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I do think the ZE50 is a curate's egg. On the one hand it's pretty much the only car on the market that can charge from 2kW to 22kW AC outlets. That flexability appeals to me. On the other hand, CCS charge speeds never exceed 45kW and really tail off. This could really be a great car if they could get the charging speed up for longer on CCS, show the charge rate on the dash and sort out basic common sense things like allowing the heater to come on whilst sat there charging - without sodding around with an app. Pretty car, lovely new interior. Just needs some fettling to perfect it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Watched the video...it appears to me that Zoe 50kwh battery gives little or no advantage over the Zoe Q90 with the 41KWH battery. The Zoe's charge speed curve is conservative and it looks pretty much the same in the new car. I, for one, am not upgrading to bigger battery that is less efficient and slower to charge....CCS..in tnis case, what is the point?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi guys, i’m pretty certain you’ve already seen Bjørn’s 1000km challenge in the new Zoe, but if not here’s the link:

For me it’s still on order and a happy purchase, following these caveats:
  • i’ll drive 1000 km in a day likely never, even with a regular car it’s just too long to sit my ass for 9+ hours* focused on the road without a nap or sleepover.
  • I think the car in the test had the ZE40 battery, otherwise can’t explain the low range
  • winter conditions during the test, there was some serious rain during the livestream, consumption was accordingly high
And.. as you own the car, you'll have access to the app, so can start the heating up whilst charging. It would really be good if they'd sort out a pre-heat button on the fob. I think we'll miss this feature.

·
Registered
76 Posts
And.. as you own the car, you'll have access to the app, so can start the heating up whilst charging. It would really be good if they'd sort out a pre-heat button on the fob. I think we'll miss this feature.
What would you miss about charging using the fob? The web app is pretty good... or am I missing something?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
The new one with 10kwh extra battery should be 30 miles better in winter and 40 or more in summer. It's not a massive amount. CCS charging at 40+ kw isn't to be sniffed at.

Where in Renault's sites does it show a 40kw option on the new CCS car?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why would you want to use the app when you're sat in the car and the heater control knobs are there in front of you, but don't respond when using them.
Umm, if you’re in the car, you just turn the heating on using the dash controls. Using the fob implies you’re not in the car.

·
Registered
813 Posts
What would you miss about charging using the fob? The web app is pretty good... or am I missing something?
Pressing a fob button is simple, straightforward and it works every time. The app is clunky, crashes, the TCU regularly loses connection (I've had to do regular F31 fuse resets on the TCU with both our R240 and R90). It relies on having a decent connection to work and there's a delay, sometimes a few minutes, between asking for the preheat and it beginning. Press the fob, preheat starts within 10 seconds.

If the new app is better, the car more responsive and the TCU more resilient, it'll be fine. I'm not yet certain it will be.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pressing a fob button is simple, straightforward and it works every time. The app is clunky, crashes, the TCU regularly loses connection (I've had to do regular F31 fuse resets on the TCU with both our R240 and R90). It relies on having a decent connection to work and there's a delay, sometimes a few minutes, between asking for the preheat and it beginning. Press the fob, preheat starts within 10 seconds.

If the new app is better, the car more responsive and the TCU more resilient, it'll be fine. I'm not yet certain it will be.
I agree that the app is cumbersome and needs some work, but if you’re close enough to use the fob, you could just open the car and turn it on manually for a bit... or use the scheduler.

Subjective preferences I suppose!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Umm, if you’re in the car, you just turn the heating on using the dash controls. Using the fob implies you’re not in the car.
Heating doesn't work when you're in the car whilst it's charging using the heat controls. You just get cold air blown at you. You can't start the car to get the heating to work otherwise it stops charging. Only option is to press the fob, use the app, or set up a timed pre-soak to work whilst you're charging.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I watched the video and he couldn't get the car to heat up and charge at the same time without going thru the timer menus (or the app he said) on the car screen AND without having at least 45/50% charge. Seems like whoever designed it made heating and charging at the same time as illogical as possible.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
You can't just turn the car on and use the heater like you can in other EVs . Key fob works instantly too. It's a big thing to have missed off and if you can use pre heat via an app why on Earth block out using the heater normally. Makes no sense.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts