Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Vendor
1,575 Posts
If Renault now consider Zoe to be a motorway model (52 kWh is a little overkill for round town eh?) then they should have included ACC like many others at the price range.
they didn't include because they don't consider it as such. Having said that it technically has the camera and sensors so I don't see why it couldnt be added at a later date.

Personally I think other shortcomings in the MG would out weigh the lack of ACC but it is each to their own and what one person sees as a must is the next persons nice to have.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
they didn't include because they don't consider it as such. Having said that it technically has the camera and sensors so I don't see why it couldnt be added at a later date.
ACC needs radar. This may come one day, but it won’t be a software update.

·
Vendor
1,575 Posts
ACC needs radar. This may come one day, but it won’t be a software update.
I was wondering if they can do it off the camera since Hyundai use the camera for lane follow assist and forward collision avoidance.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
I think the cameras can do some degree for range estimation - but it’s not very reliable and only done by Tesla, as far as I know. Lane following is done by the camera.

Radar is needed for accurate ranging (and bearings).

I wonder how the Zoe deals with AEB?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wonder how the Zoe deals with AEB?
I suspect it doesnt have AEB, at least in the dutch folders it is not mentioned. And as you seem to suggest, I also expect it requires some type of radar to do this properly. Even though I will be missing the ACC I currently have on my Nissan Leaf I still traded it in for the new ZE50 (delivery in a couple of weeks) because of the higher range, 3 phase charging and no worries about battery degradation.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,351 Posts
Not in the slightest, 100% guarantee that Renault UK will sell circa 4 times as many ZE50 this year than they did ZE40 last year - even more if supply allows it.
Looking at Howmanyleft it looks like 2500 to 3000max sold last year. Which is about ball park right for Zoe. Do you really think Renault will ship 10k+ Zoes in 2020? If so that'll be great. Double the number of Zoes on UK roads? Question, how many do you think will ship with CCS out of?

·
Vendor
1,575 Posts
how many do you think will ship with CCS out of?
will be supply limited, our orders have been about 85% CCS. However the stock coming through is closer to a 50/50

·
Vendor
1,575 Posts
You and me both

·
Vendor
1,575 Posts
Or maybe they did? I mean that’s how options work.
the issue is the majority of stock coming through doesn’t have CCS

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I believe AEB is a requirement from NCAP (5 star rating for 2020) and insurance companies; Zoe ZE50 has radar, above the number plate holder. I will check mine on Monday (dealer’s lot). The insurance premium on my new Zoe is 10% lower than my previous R240, mainly because of AEB and in spite of increase in motor power rating.

On a side note, it seems to me that Renault sells a lot more Zoes than MG does their EV so probably there’s something Renault is doing right, or maybe all their customers are stupid?

i think ACC is great probably if you travel often long distances, say 300 miles on a single stretch, where it alleviates some of the fatigue. I tend to believe that Zoe drivers are unlikely to do this kind of journey twice a week; this car doesn’t have the size and ergonomics for regular 300 mile journeys.

Zoe is not expensive for what it offers, simply because it’s much more difficult to safely and correctly fit safety features in a small car than in a large one. It’s really a challenge to put in an airbag for correct deployment in a small car. Steel is pretty cheap however.

Trivia: found out recently, in Germany ACC is illegal in cities/towns/villages (will deactivate automatically).

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,379 Posts
I am with @evescu. Radar is a listed ECU. As are quite a few other interesting new "boxes". More on that when CanZE is working for the ZE50.

As for MG: Fair dinkum as they seem to say in Ozzyland. Personally, having seen the issues when industrializing real world EV's, at this moment in time I would only buy Tesla, Renault or Nissan. Peugeot bought Opel for their EV knowledge. GM was the party with knowledge and AFAIK they fought a fierce battle in the Opel divorce. So yes I am going over the top, but it sounds like the deaf helping the blind. Things will be massively different in a few years, but to state in the blind that say VW, Peugeot, MG etc are all making great EV's right now is a risky proposition. IMHO.

Said the guy who feels quite lucky he never had a serious issue with his 2013 ZOE.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
More on that when CanZE is working for the ZE50.
Favourite part of that post as I have a 50 on order and would love to still have canZE to keep an eye on things, your efforts are very much appreciated @yoh-there (y)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Are you sure you own a ZOE? ;)
I've had two Zoe's over almost five years now and wife has had hers three years also have been trouble free, (Touches wood)

·
Zoe Devotee
8,351 Posts
yeah I'm surprised Renault didn't recognise that most people will want CCS
Its clear they did, hence and other easy £750 lol

On a side note, it seems to me that Renault sells a lot more Zoes than MG does their EV so probably there’s something Renault is doing right, or maybe all their customers are stupid?
Currently perhaps, well maybe even historically rather than currently. Renault can build 20k Zoes a year? MG can make up to 300,000 battery packs a year for the ZS. I think that shows MGs intent. Renault need to increase production, because they will sell them.

It'll be interesting the next Quarter on sales for all the main EV manufacturers.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
You have to take into account that Renault have been making the Zoe since around 2013. MG started delivering MG EZS around October 2019 (IIRC). MG are just ramping up. Let's view this again this time next year.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Its clear they did, hence and other easy £750 lol

Currently perhaps, well maybe even historically rather than currently. Renault can build 20k Zoes a year? MG can make up to 300,000 battery packs a year for the ZS. I think that shows MGs intent. Renault need to increase production, because they will sell them.

It'll be interesting the next Quarter on sales for all the main EV manufacturers.
The problem with the MG is that it’s an ICE car with a battery and motor shoved in. Whilst that was OK 3 years ago, for 2020 it’s a joke. The range is also terrible. If you don’t need the space the zoe is a better buy and has a much better monthly due to higher future value

61 - 80 of 111 Posts