Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read online that if you use more than 1000kwh of electricity Per month so 33kwh a day average at your domestic property then you should be paying VAT at 20%

Fortunately my provider are billing me at 5% and I only went over this month using 1034kw of electricity just wondered if anyone had ever been hit by this charge?

I'd imagine if you did alot of miles then this is easily possible.

I should add this is UK related

Cheers
Tom

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,193 Posts
I think the 1000kWh 5% limit is for businesses.

At least, that's how this reads..

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,349 Posts
A lot of people using electricity for heating would feel rightfully aggrieved if true.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
672 Posts
Well I am looking at a heat pump installation and reckon that will add 7,000 kw to my consumption, EV 3,500 and ordinary consumption 5,000 would take me over and I don't think many people with a heat pump and EV would get below 12k per year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is good too know I was looking at the 1000kw thing and as usual it's clear as mud on the govt website and like you mentioned about electric heating that would definitely take it over!

Thanks all for your input!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I don't think many people with a heat pump and EV would get below 12k per year
Heat pump and EV are well below those levels, depends on the size of your property, insulation and how many miles you do. Also, the base load and how large your TV might be?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
It's been confirmed as being for business consumers only. All domestic users will always only pay 5% VAT, no matter what their consumption. There may be a few odd cases where a domestic supply used to be a commercial supply that may confuse things, but I'd guess they are few and far between and mainly occur when business premises are converted for residential use, without changing the supply.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
672 Posts
Heat pump and EV are well below those levels, depends on the size of your property, insulation and how many miles you do. Also, the base load and how large your TV might be?
Well I consume 2400 litres of oil for CH and HW which would equate to 28,000 kWh of heat, assuming SCOP of 3.8 = 7370 kWh for heat, 5000 kWh motoring and 3,500 cooking etc. comes close to 16,000 or 1,330 a month? The house is large but well insulated but in one of the highest spots in the south of England at 212m above sea level.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well I consume 2400 litres of oil for CH and HW which would equate to 28,000 kWh of heat, assuming SCOP of 3.8 = 7370 kWh for heat, 5000 kWh motoring and 3,500 cooking etc. comes close to 16,000 or 1,330 a month? The house is large but well insulated but in one of the highest spots in the south of England at 212m above sea level.
Ground source heat pump with UFH throughout in my house, and as a self-build it is likely much better insulated and air tight compared to the average developer built house. But being in Scotland the heating demand can be much higher than lifer areas of England (we hit a peak low temperature of -18 overnight last winter). Energy Saving Trust came and carried out a full EPC survey and I’m only just missed out on a band A rating, but due to the amount of tech here at home with running two businesses from here I have a minimum base load of 800W, so even with a 4kW PV system I’m still importing 18,000kWh a year since owning an EV. When we had two EVs for a while we used 21,000kWh per year!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Which is probably why my charge point supplier (BP pulse) hiked up their prices.
And it is only going to get worse as more people adopt EVs and revenues from fossil fuel gets lower and lower, they are just going to have to increase tax on household consumption too.
Don't forget 2025 no more gas boilers for sale in a new house. Gas Boiler 'Ban' 2023 - Can I still replace my old Gas Boiler? | Boiler Guide

1 - 11 of 11 Posts