Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we're going to look at a leaf tomorrow. Its quite high mileage tho, but the owner has sent a few pics over the week and is getting figures showing 80 + miles.

does this sound right?

have downloaded Leaf spy and bought a suggested bluetooth dongle to plug in the car. -

what sort of figures should we look for?

its a 2013 leaf with the foot peddle brake but over 100 thousand miles on the clock, is there anything else to look out for?

thanks!

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
That is an unusually high mileage, and the question is how has it been done. Do you know if it has been used for Private Hire or Taxi work? It is not necessarily a problem, just something to be aware of. Was the car originally delivered in the UK or Japan? Check the location of the rear foglamp - it should be rectangular and recessed into the rear diffuser.
Any car at that mileage will have significant wear in the running gear and suspension, and as a heavy front wheel drive car the LEAF is no exception. Check wheel bearings, lower wishbones, leaking shock absorbers, broken springs etc. Check the drivers seat for wear along with the pedals.
80+ miles on a LEAF24 is good, but could mean that the owner has driven the last few miles slowly and carefully and then fully charged the car. I'd take little notice of the figure as the GOM is well named (Guess-o-meter).
Do you know how many battery bars of health it is showing. Whilst not as good as LEAFSpy it is a starter - I'd assume 11 or 12/12 for that range?
Ideally you want to view the car with the battery relatively discharged - this will highlight any issues in the battery modules that can be masked by battery balancing when recently fully charged. If you ask for 20% that will give you enough for a drive and a sensible set of LEAFSpy readings. Also save the ECU versions.
Out of interest, what price range is the car in? What spec is the car? Is it Flex or battery owned?

Edit - to answer your question I wouldn't bother buying a LEAF with an Hx below 75% however cheap it was, and would look for 85%+. Age and mileage are not as relevant to the value of the car as in an ICE, battery condition is the key. Hence a relatively old high mileage car - like this - isn't necessarily a bad buy if the battery is good, but may not be much cheaper than one with a much better battery which would be an infinitely better buy. There are lots of good ones around, but a lot of rubbish too. Don't buy someone else's problem.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Remember that the GOM might show "80" but that's based on recent driving habits. If you drive around really slowly and carefully for a bit it can go up very high, but in normal use you will get much less range.

If you look on the far right the little bars (next to the big ones showing how much charge you have) show the battery degradation. There are 12 in total and I'm sure at least one will be off, probably more. As dk6780 the best thing is to use LeafSpy.

Only other thing I can think of for cars of that age is the suspension and tyre wear. There was an issue that caused excessive wear and Nissan can fix it pretty cheaply now, so check if that has been done. Sorry I can't remember the details, I'm sure someone here will.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
There was an issue that caused excessive wear and Nissan can fix it pretty cheaply now, so check if that has been done.
Do you mean the bent rear trailing arms giving the wrong rear alignment and causing wear on the outside edge of the tyre? This was an issue only on some of the early Sunderland cars, which I assume this is, and can be cured with shims or a good spare from a scrapped car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its interesting you say that becos I think he has done this charging trick and managed to ramp it up to 98 miles range,,

he said 65 ish on 80% charge. and then proceeded to give me his techniques on slipstreaming behind lorries. Is this a thing?

also the MOT history shows a lot of work to bushes and anti roll bar

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Only one bar of capacity lost, so actually his range estimate seems about right.

People do slipstream behind lorries because the Leaf is not very efficient on the motorway. It's fine around town though.

What sort of range do you need?

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
One bar lost means between 79 and 85% of the original remaining. You will find out more with LEAFSpy.

At risk of being a broken record, you need to see the bottom of the range as well as the top because it may not be able to access the bottom part of the charge if there is a weak cell.

The repairs are all normal at this age, just check that they have been done properly using decent parts and on both sides. Also check that the alignment has been re-done following all of the work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only one bar of capacity lost, so actually his range estimate seems about right.

People do slipstream behind lorries because the Leaf is not very efficient on the motorway. It's fine around town though.

What sort of range do you need?
only need around 38 miles a day, but 5 days a week - looking forward to the car defrosting itself at 7 in the morning!

How close do you need to be behind the lorry?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
only need around 38 miles a day, but 5 days a week - looking forward to the car defrosting itself at 7 in the morning!

How close do you need to be behind the lorry?
If you don't have home charging I wouldn't get one. Also it needs to be plugged in to use the timed pre-heating. You can start it manually from the app but for the timer it has to be plugged in.

The lorry thing is a bit daft really... Certainly not a safe distance.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
So where are you intending charging? Warming the car up uses 1-2 kWh at 0C, more below that. It will knock off quite a bit of range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow I have to say I really enjoyed the test drive. and turning eco on and off makes a massive difference!

I'll be charging on the drive at home

Hx = 85.55% and SOH is 88.64%

is there something missing in the first pic?

I drove it for around 13 miles? when I first got it the GOM was 42 miles. it climbed to 44 as we went down a long hill. but ultimately said 32 miles after driving 13 miles ..

it felt very positive to drive,

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
That's an incredibly good battery for the age and mileage. You'd only expect 3 temp sensors on the battery that age, although I'd change the units to C.
If you can charge at home and preheat while plugged in it looks great. (y)

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
If you can charge at home and the price is okay then it looks very good! It suits your needs, you can easily cover your daily drive in it and go further when you need to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes very tempted! and probably going to put a deposit on it very soon!

the first issue is getting it back. its around 80 miles from me down a motorway.. Will I need to buy any cables for this? it only comes with granny.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
one issue was the foot/handbrake. the car crept forward if in gear and the foot/handbrake was on. it also rolled back on the driveway after putting it into neutral.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
yes very tempted! and probably going to put a deposit on it very soon!

the first issue is getting it back. its around 80 miles from me down a motorway.. Will I need to buy any cables for this? it only comes with granny.
Rapid chargers have the cable built in so you can use those no problem. IKEA have them, every motorway service area has them. You can get the Ecotricity app to make it easier to use them. Just make sure you have two charging options just in case, and stick to about 60 MPH on your first trip. Once you get a feel for the car you can do 70 but the first time I'd take it easy.

Oh and you should get two cables with it, the granny charger and a type 2 to type 1 charging cable. It will have come with both when it was new and they are worth a few hundred quid so make sure you get it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Can I stop and charge at a supermarket or Ikea mid journey?
You will need to recharge, but not a lot if the vendor provides it fully charged and you keep your speed down. You have the choice of a Rapid which will do 20-80% in around 40 minutes (the LEAF24 isn't the fastest) or a Fast which will add around 15% (10-12 miles) an hour. If you rely on an Ikea or a supermarket with a single rapid have a plan B as they are not 100% reliable or may be taken when you arrive.
In terms of lead you don't need one for a Rapid (they are tethered), but you will for a Fast.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Plenty of rapid charge options - look on Zap-map to find them along your route.

Plan to do about 50 miles then charge. 60-61mph indicated on our Leaf was 56mph real (as lorries have calibrated speedos). Pootling along at 60ish should get you about 70+ miles range at that SoH - my best ever in summer was 89 miles with 88% SoH. If you can push your charge out to 60 miles (ie so you only have 20 left to go when you charge) then you can probably charge for about 10 minutes only to get enough to get home.

I once did a 140 mile journey in an 88% SoH Leaf 24 with a total of 21 minutes of charging en route. You learn how best to utilise it with a bit of time and familiarity.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts