Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I assume not everybody speaks German.

They did not modify the cars and had the tires that come with the cars on it. They deactivated AC and radio. Day light running lights were on as it's required by law.

They managed the mentioned mileage of over 1000 kilometers (621 miles) at about 6.2 kwh per 100 kilometers (~10.5 m/kWh).

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
427 Posts
Good grief! over 600 miles

Here's the auto-tranlsate in to English
============
The electric car version of Hyundai's compact SUV Kona can travel up to 484 kilometers at a time according to the WLTP standard, in practice, depending on driving style and weather conditions, sometimes significantly less. The South Korean manufacturer recently had three copies of the model line up at the Lausitzring in order to set an efficiency record. With one battery charge, every car should be able to travel more than 1000 kilometers thanks to particularly energy-saving driving - so-called hypermiling.

Three teams competed against each other at the Lausitzring: a team of test drivers from Auto Bild , one with technicians from the aftersales of Hyundai Germany and another team consisting of members of the press office and product management of the car manufacturer. The air conditioning was turned off in favor of efficiency. The entertainment system was also deactivated so that the available electricity is used solely for the drive. The daytime running, however, was in accordance with the legal requirements. The standard low-friction tires were used as tires.

During their three-day operation, the Kona Elektro were controlled by changing drivers, who, according to Hyundai, almost all used the cruise control. The result of the hypermiling campaign: The electric SUVs came to a standstill after 1018.7, 1024.1 and 1026.0 kilometers, report the South Koreans. In relation to the battery capacity of 64 kilowatt hours (kWh), each individual value represents a record, since the power consumption of 6.28, 6.25 and 6.24 kWh / 100 km is well below the standard value of 14.7 kWh / 100 km determined by the WLTP. 100 km.

Hyundai-Kona-Hypermiling-Record-2020

According to Hyundai, all Kona Elektro were in series condition when they arrived at the Lausitzring. The efficiency record achieved with them was confirmed by the expert organization Dekra, which has been operating the Lausitzring since 2017.

“After the distance of over 1,000 kilometers, the average speed of the teams was between 29 and 31 km / h. That sounds slow at first, but on the other hand it must first be achieved in typical inner-city traffic with rush hour and traffic lights as well as in the 30 km / h zones in residential areas, ”says Hyundai Germany boss Jürgen Keller. “With our range mission, the Hyundai Kona Elektro has demonstrated its great potential as an efficient and environmentally friendly lifestyle SUV. This proves its suitability for everyday use and shows that the subject of range anxiety should be a thing of the past with our electric vehicles. "

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
427 Posts
For comparison here's BjornTesla's hypermiling a kona
where he achieves over 500 miles. I guess the difference is a team or pros vs the amateur on his own.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess Bjorn has a higher average speed seeing 44km/u on the speedometer in his video

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,554 Posts
Utterly irrelevant to anything at all.

Is there any useful information this offers an owner or potential owner?

·
28,554 Posts
I assumed they had received instruction in your driving methods?
My driving methods relate to real world, on the road driving, how to meet and leave junctions, how to maintain one's speed adequately with the flow of traffic. They drove at a constant speed, as far as I can tell didn't look too closely, by the look of the average speed in the article. Did they do pulse and glide? I don't know.

Driving at a constant speed is not necessarily the most efficient way to drive. In the 'real' world it is not even possible, of course.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The auto-translation in post #3 indicates the test drivers used cruise control - I would regard this as allowing driving at a constant speed, in the absence of other traffic to a significant extent.
For many drivers, such a lack of traffic would not be "real world", but for my longest days on the road (500+ km), I'm using cruise control at least 80% of the time, with long stretches and not another vehicle in sight. However, the bigger benefit is the rest my right foot gets...

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
73 Posts
Utterly irrelevant to anything at all.

Is there any useful information this offers an owner or potential owner?
To those who do not know about BEV cars, the take home message should be that when driving in a town/city with traffic, due to regenerative braking and stop-start motoring the range is much greater than published. Most non EV drivers have no idea that range can be increased by regeneration or that when sitting in traffic the car uses pretty much zero power.

I've actually had a work colleague ask me what would I do if I was sitting in a traffic jam on a motorway for 5 hours (we had that recently round here) and the battery ran out.

Reactions: richardglover

·
Registered
236 Posts
Having read the official Hyundai Press Release I do not think that any special driving techniques were used. However, tyres were no doubt optimal and all excess weight removed.

The speed chosen may have been because I believe 20 mph is the lowest that Cruise Control can be set. It is the steady low speed that gave such good figures coupled with the fact that the famous Speedway circuit is entirely flat and does not have any bends that would have required a reduction in speed.

The temperature also helped a great deal - bet they will not repeat the test in mid winter!

·
28,554 Posts
To those who do not know about BEV cars, the take home message should be that when driving in a town/city with traffic, due to regenerative braking and stop-start motoring the range is much greater than published. Most non EV drivers have no idea that range can be increased by regeneration or that when sitting in traffic the car uses pretty much zero power.

I've actually had a work colleague ask me what would I do if I was sitting in a traffic jam on a motorway for 5 hours (we had that recently round here) and the battery ran out.
That would be very clear by driving at a constant 20mph all day.

..errr ...?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts