Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get a home charge station with a 10m cable or 7.5m that will charge the M3, this will make things much easier for me as I will not need to dig a trench etc I could get away with having the station on the side of my house near the fuse board.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The Tesla wall charger is available with I think 7.5m (certainly around that). That said you might be better with an untethered charger and then find a type 2 cable that does what you want. The full fat 3 phase 32a cables are quite beefy and in your situation I’d also be looking for the specific cable you need, probably single phase 32a. 10m can be found on amazon

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can I get a home charge station with a 10m cable or 7.5m that will charge the M3, this will make things much easier for me as I will not need to dig a trench etc I could get away with having the station on the side of my house near the fuse board.
Hi, Single phase 10 metre cables are available. If you wanted a 3 phase 10 metre cable then this will be a really heavy around 8kg. You will most likely only get a single phase supply from a home charger anyway so that would work fine for you. Let me know if you would like more details on a 10 metre single phase cable. Good luck 👍

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Our Outlander friend got a socket charger and bought a 10m cable which he leaves permanently plugged in. Easiest solution if you need that length. Costs of cables have come down since he did it too.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have a Rolec Smart Charger and bought it with a tethered 10m Type-2 cable. I had to pay slightly more for the longer cable. :)

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
I have a Rolec Smart Charger and bought it with a tethered 10m Type-2 cable. I had to pay slightly more for the longer cable. :)
Good to hear Rolec offer that. Neither Chargemaster nor Podpoint do AFAIK.

Reactions: Riz_Neo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good to hear Rolec offer that. Neither Chargemaster nor Podpoint do AFAIK.
Podpoint do AFAIK - i seem to remeber there being an option when I went through the order process, and I know for sure I've seen people on other forums who have been able to specify a longer cable as a cost option.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Podpoint do AFAIK - i seem to remeber there being an option when I went through the order process, and I know for sure I've seen people on other forums who have been able to specify a longer cable as a cost option.
You are right, they offer an upgrade to 7.5 meters but the cost! It adds £249 to price :ROFLMAO: How much is that a meter :oops:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Tesla wall Charger with a 7.5m cable.
It almost reaches the pavement from where its mounted but uncoiling it from being wrapped around the charger is worrying.
The cable is slightly flexible but heavy and I worry the plug might break when dropped on the concrete path whilst feeding it out.
You're not supposed to leave it coiled if you don't need the full length.
Although the Wall Charger has a"holster" on the side to store the plug I think some sort of cap for the plug whilst manhandling it might be worth fitting.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
The cable is slightly flexible but heavy
It will be heavier than Podpoint because it has 3 phase as standard. A downside to the European Tesla unit I hadn't considered, our USA one is just single phase 48A.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts