Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local car park had parked with fairly usual drive system error, but can would not engage d/r. Usual get out lock wait a minute did not work.

Borrowed 10mm spanner to remove neg from battery at a local small garage. First count of 10 did not work as car in same state. Longer minute removal fixed it. Did offer beers but they don’t drink, so ideas welcome.

Have now popped 10mm spanner into little work tool bag in boot.

Other bad news cold has cracked windscreen, did hear but not see a stone hit screen a week ago but nothing obvious, hit was down low in black band. So need to sort that out in week.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
12V in my ICE (10yr old Honda) crapped itself and died.

Fortunately was right outside Halfords so bought a new 12V and a set of small spanners from their bargain bucket (cheaper than a single 10mm).

Original battery wouldn't get above 10.5V on charger (which is good cos it means the alternator is probably fine) so presume it had a gubbed cell and dropped it into the recycle centre.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
..First count of 10 did not work as car in same state. Longer minute removal fixed it....
Outrageous that the 10 second switch it off and on again universal panacea did not work. The IT technicians handbook will have to be rewritten.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d have thought a couple of packets of decent biscuits would do the job nicely!

I’m partial to chocolate hob nobs myself! 👍🙂
Biscuits it is, will some to this weeks shop.

Done a run out to a charger and for now glitches are gone.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
Outrageous that the 10 second switch it off and on again universal panacea did not work. The IT technicians handbook will have to be rewritten.
It doesn’t work unless you count ‘elephants’ out loud.

Also, a little chicken blood can help.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My car had a drive system error. It progressed to the point where it could not be moved at the dealership. They ended up changing the switch assembly (which I believe has a bit of circuitry on it) in the steering column. It took them a few weeks to get the part from Germany.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,646 Posts
You really shouldn’t have to do any of this on a brand new car
Of course not, but on such an occasion you can either sit and wait for the recovery services whilst penning an angry post to SpeakEV, or you can be pragmatic and help yourself.

I’d always do the latter personally, but that’s me.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,684 Posts
You really shouldn’t have to do any of this on a brand new car
No, but while we await the software updates, it's a lot easier than calling the AA and/or getting it towed to the dealers for them to further mess with it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, but while we await the software updates, it's a lot easier than calling the AA and/or getting it towed to the dealers for them to further mess with it.
My thoughts exactly, plus add in covid and snow being a bit self reliant is helpful,

·
Registered
260 Posts
Of course not, but on such an occasion you can either sit and wait for the recovery services whilst penning an angry post to SpeakEV, or you can be pragmatic and help yourself.

I’d always do the latter personally, but that’s me.
My thoughts exactly, plus add in covid and snow being a bit self reliant is helpful,

View attachment 140832
Yes, and if at any point in future a VW Dealer asks you “did you disconnect the battery to reboot the car at all?“ what will you say if potentially you, as a non-qualified person, did something they can use to weasel out of a warranty claim?

Lots of VAG management, (and staff from their suppliers, dealers and their financial services operations) have repeatedly shown themselves to be a bunch of thoroughly unpleasant, devious, duplicitous, cozeners that will perjure themselves if necessary to avoid being caught out. So if they think they won’t betray you for being ‘self reliant’ you probably ought to think again.

And by tolerating and ignoring the issues you find yourself faced with, you potentially deny VAG engineers vital data they need to decide what issues to focus on and fix.

I do completely understand that you don‘t want the inconvenience of having to wait a couple of hours to have your car recovered and the sit in an ICE loan car while yours is ‘fixed’ but carrying a 10mm spanner doesn’t help get the issue resolved long-term.

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Yes, and if at any point in future a VW Dealer asks you “did you disconnect the battery to reboot the car at all?“ what will you say if potentially you, as a non-qualified person, did something they can use to weasel out of a warranty claim?

Lots of VAG management, (and staff from their suppliers, dealers and their financial services operations) have repeatedly shown themselves to be a bunch of thoroughly unpleasant, devious, duplicitous, cozeners that will perjure themselves if necessary to avoid being caught out. So if they think they won’t betray you for being ‘self reliant’ you probably ought to think again.

And by tolerating and ignoring the issues you find yourself faced with, you potentially deny VAG engineers vital data they need to decide what issues to focus on and fix.

I do completely understand that you don‘t want the inconvenience of having to wait a couple of hours to have your car recovered and the sit in an ICE loan car while yours is ‘fixed’ but carrying a 10mm spanner doesn’t help get the issue resolved long-term.
There is a plan to fix the issues, via the software update rollout.

Until then, if people need to disconnect the 12v to keep mobile, then so be it.

I don’t think the customer can be blamed, they didn’t write the software that causes the issues.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Interesting position.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,905 Posts

The data on the problem should be retained in the system anyway and be accessible if VW wish to access it. Plus this is not an isolated incident such that the data is so rare that VW don't have other sources of it.
The only questions are how soon will VW succeed in running these issues down given that this is a new language and can we be sure that they will not abandon the owners of the initial cars if the required updates are too difficult to retrofit? A lot of manufacturers, not just in the automotive sector, have done just that in the past.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
The data on the problem should be retained in the system anyway and be accessible if VW wish to access it. Plus this is not an isolated incident such that the data is so rare that VW don't have other sources of it.
The only questions are how soon will VW succeed in running these issues down given that this is a new language and can we be sure that they will not abandon the owners of the initial cars if the required updates are too difficult to retrofit? A lot of manufacturers, not just in the automotive sector, have done just that in the past.
Well, my car is still only 3 months old, it will still be straightforward to reject for the next 3 months at least.

That said, I’ve owned more annoying and unreliable cars in the past, hence why I’m quite relaxed about it.

The other thing that makes me relaxed is that people have and are getting the updates and it’s solving issues they had.

If it’s more efficient for VW to swap a particularly troublesome car out for a factory one, then I’m confident they’ll do so.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,905 Posts
And VW have so much riding on the success of the platform that they will have to cure the issues. It's inconceivable that they will walk away from the early adopters.

·
Registered
260 Posts

I don’t think the customer can be blamed, they didn’t write the software that causes the issues.
No, you didn’t write the software that caused the issue but maybe you rebooted the car and the dealer claims that you caused other damage? How would you know? More importantly, could you prove that you didn’t damage the car by doing this If VAG tried to not pay out on a warranty claim? Your idea of reasonable (and helpful) go right out the window if they want to decline a warranty claim on a £6000 inverter or £10,000 battery pack.

And they are known to trawl through online forums to find incriminating posts. Admittedly they are usually looking for people who have chipped an engine or had it remapped but just admitting to wielding a spanner on the car when you’re not qualified could leave you wide open to all sorts of nonsense,

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
No, you didn’t write the software that caused the issue but maybe you rebooted the car and the dealer claims that you caused other damage? How would you know? More importantly, could you prove that you didn’t damage the car by doing this If VAG tried to not pay out on a warranty claim? Your idea of reasonable (and helpful) go right out the window if they want to decline a warranty claim on a £6000 inverter or £10,000 battery pack.

And they are known to trawl through online forums to find incriminating posts. Admittedly they are usually looking for people who have chipped an engine or had it remapped but just admitting to wielding a spanner on the car when you’re not qualified could leave you wide open to all sorts of nonsense,
Whilst I’m usually a cautious type, I think that’s going too far.

If the software/hardware was good, there’d be no need to reboot by disconnecting the 12v battery.

Given that plenty of ID.3s (along with many other EVs) have had completely flat 12v batteries without owner intervention, I think we know by now that pulling the 12v isn’t an issue. What next, don’t fill up your own washer fluid in case you spill it and short something? Come on... 🙂

I’d be confident of winning any argument in the unlikely event that my dealer tried to decline a warranty claim based on the fact that they’ve got a record of it being powered down and then powered up. Some folks electric cars are doing that all by themselves anyway... If it can’t survive the 12v being removed, then they’re not fit for purpose. Rather than the onus being on me to prove I didn’t break anything, I rather think that they’d have to prove I did, especially as it’s not exactly unknown that ID.3s are having all kinds of issues caused by software.

We’re not talking about remaps here, we’re talking about people just wanting the car to work as advertised, and not be stranded by stupid software glitches.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.