Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my only opportunity for charging my Leaf after leaving home for work came while meeting with Clients at Tesco's cafe. Fortunately the Nissan Dealer is next door. In just under half an hour I gained 14 miles.

Today happened to be particularly hectic driving all day. Up to 3 passengers. A roads (40miles) b roads (40 miles) and town / lanes the rest. I also wanted to go straight from work to a family meal and then home again.

The very brief half hour stop made this possible at 32 amp just. For me, 32 amp posts everywhere would make a huge difference.

Admittedly if we had got organised to have the free charger at my family, or had I the brick, this too would have made todays drive possible as I was there 2 hours....

Attachments

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I think that the very last thing we need is 32A posts everywhere. However, 32A posts at sensible locations is a different matter entirely.

If we had 32A posts at all locations where we are likely to be parked up for a couple of hours or more then yes, it would make a massive difference providing the cars have 32A charging. However, the majority of EVs and EREVs at the moment have 16A max and so with them charging away from home or work or anywhere for less than 4hrs doesn't make sense to me.

For example... 32A posts at IKEAs make a lot of sense... instead, what do we have? rapid chargers that will either get ICEd by ICE drivers that don't know or don't care about EVs or EVed by EV owners that can't be bothered to stay by their car and move it when it is charged.

Having the right charging at the right location is almost as important as having any charging there at all IMO.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes perhaps not everywhere....but from what I can tell it is only 80 quid on top of the grand it costs for a post installed. And type 2 is the EU standard. And they are backwards compatible to 16 amp.

So a very good arguement needed imo to have a new post that is not 32 amp....where electrical reasons allow
easily.

The striking thing for me is how quickly and easily you can get really useful opportunity charging with 32 amp without disrupting your working day

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
32a should be the standard this day and age. Why Nissan didn't make the leaf mk1.5 32a standard I'll never know. Oh yeah £££.

·
Registered
253 Posts
However, the majority of EVs and EREVs at the moment have 16A max and so with them charging away from home or work or anywhere for less than 4hrs doesn't make sense to me.
It doesn't have to be 4 hours though. This assumes you require a 4 hour charge to get home and the example given is similar to many of my trips where I only need a little extra to get me on my way again. I've only got a Mk1 so takes twice as long but I'll be going 32A when I change my car

·
Registered
253 Posts
It doesn't have to be 4 hours though. This assumes you require a 4 hour charge to get home and the example given is similar to many of my trips where I only need a little extra to get me on my way again. I've only got a Mk1 so takes twice as long but I'll be going 32A when I change my car
Sometimes I think one of the barriers to EV uptake is the way charge times are communicated. They often assume that you can't use the car again for say 4 or 6 hours when in reality they can set off as soon as they have sufficient charge for their journey

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Sometimes I think one of the barriers to EV uptake is the way charge times are communicated. They often assume that you can't use the car again for say 4 or 6 hours when in reality they can set off as soon as they have sufficient charge for their journey
Yup, I always tell people I'm topping up when I am, and how long that takes, before or instead of total charge times.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'd always recommend anyone buying today got 32A charge capability - I agree it should make a huge difference when you're having a day out zipping between different places and can really extend range with odd topups. I'm stuck on a gen.1 16A of course. But agree with Paul - we need the right charger type in the right place. Rapid on motorways/main routes & 32A for destinations. (shopping, parking, cinema etc)

·
Registered
625 Posts
The very brief half hour stop made this possible at 32 amp just. For me, 32 amp posts everywhere would make a huge difference.
After much bashing from @Kevin Sharpe (in a nice way), and after my 2 day jaunt in the BMW i3 demonstrator which was not Rapid Charge equipped, being able to recharge 33% of the battery in an hour means a quick stop and charge can deliver 33ish miles of range; thats nearly enough for the average UK daily journey (40 miles)

So whilst we all tut an huff about the need of £40,000 Rapid Charger installations dependent on a 3-phase supply that do the mechanically demanding AC-DC switching, and have ongoing reliability issues ......... There is much to be championed about £400 solution delivers 7kw charging and, if installed 10 at a time all over the place could make the need for Rapid Charging far less acute.

Imagine if IKEA had installed 20 7kw Mennekes Type 2 sockets instead of 1 Rapid Charger.......

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
There is a need for both in the right locations but I do agree... IKEA should only ever have had have 7kW IMO and lots of them. It is a shopping location and people want to park, plug in and shop. Not have to hang around for 30 mins while there car charges or an hour while someone else finishes their shop.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
completely with you paul. I guess one benefit of ikea is they probably usually have loads of power to run a rapid charger -- but simply getting into the shop and straight out is a challenge in 30 mins so it is indeed an odd choice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I will add my voice to the '7kW posts everywhere' camp.

I've been keeping notes the last few weeks and I reckon if there were 32A posts everywhere I could almost never charge at home, even in a MK1 leaf, and with a 70+ mile round commute.

Generally in the week I don't charge at home as I charge at work, but at the weekend going here and there the car is always on and off charge. However if our local town / the retail park / supermarket etc etc had charging it would be charging up when I'm out doing.

The irony is that with all the CM nonsense at the moment if it was there I wouldn't use it! :)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I think it should be an easy decision:

Am I a location where people need to just drop in and get on with their journey? In that case I need a Rapid charger installed

Am I a location where I would like people to stay for some time? In that case I should invest in a number of 32A chargers

The EVing issue is one - I admit it. I have been into IKEA and RC'd and left the car for longer than I should and I usually RC leaving the car while I have a coffee and I should leave my contact details on the dash.

As chargers become ever more common then it will be a case of little and often and popping the car on charge for 20 minutes while you run some errands will be practical.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts