Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am due to pick up a new e-208 GT this week from my local dealer. Will be my first EV and really looking forward to getting the car.

However, I have a concern about the on-board charger. The dealer originally offered an in stock GT with the standard 7kw charger which I ordered. For whatever reason, the car became unavailable, so the dealer offered with a discount another in stock GT which has some factory fitted extras like the charging plate and key less entry.

One of the extras is the 11kwh three phase on-board charger. At the time the dealer didn't know what this was and I didn't push for information. Since ordering I have done some research including on this forum and I am now concerned that the 11Kwh charger won’t work with the 7kw single phase pod-point home charger.

A few posts on here and other forums stating that when connected to a single phase 7kw charger, the car with its' 11kwh charger will only pull a maximum of about 3kwh.

Wondering if anyone knows for sure if this going to be problem? I have asked the dealer but no reply yet. I am now not sure if I should accept the car or not because I need to be able to charge at 7kw when at home.

Does anyone here have experience of the 208 with the optional 11Kwh charger?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
There should be no problem with the charger being the 3 phase 11 kW version. It should work just fine with a 7 kW single phase charge point, I think, as that's certainly the case with every other EV that has a three phase charger option. It's a useful thing to have as it also allows faster charging if you can't get to a rapid charger, but can get to a fast AC charge point, so definitely worth having.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There should be no problem with the charger being the 3 phase 11 kW version. It should work just fine with a 7 kW single phase charge point, I think, as that's certainly the case with every other EV that has a three phase charger option. It's a useful thing to have as it also allows faster charging if you can't get to a rapid charger, but can get to a fast AC charge point, so definitely worth having.
Thanks for the reply.

Hoping that will be the case but dealer is not clued up on it at all.

The attached document from Peugeot is making me nervous. Hopefully it's out of date information. It came from another post on here last year.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Hoping that will be the case but dealer is not clued up on it at all.

The attached document from Peugeot is making me nervous. Hopefully it's out of date information. It came from another post on here last year.
I would ask the Q of the dealer

I remember this cropping up a while ago

Tbh I don’t understand elastic trickery enough

JJ

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
That's a bugger, as it looks as if you are right to be concerned, and that Peugeot have really screwed up the way they have implemented three phase charging. Other cars with an 11 kW three phase charger, like my I-Pace, or the Tesla Model 3, or BMW i3 that I've owned before, would all still charge at ~7 kW from a single phase supply. They often do this by connecting two phases of the three phase input together when they detect a single phase 32 A charge point. I can't understand why Peugeot haven't done the same, as it's an easy way to make the charger more flexible.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you look on the Skoda forum at the Citigo threads you will see that they have exactly this problem and it seems to be very hard to fix. In theory it is possible to tie two on board chargers to a single phase but some manufacturers have made this work and some haven't.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If it helps (and it might not) I have a colleague at work with the 11kW equipped Vauxhall Corsa and it works just fine with any type 2 charger they have tried including 3.6kW and 7.4kW chargers at Tesco and 11kW Alfa chargers.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,711 Posts
I'd be very surprised if this information is correct, but it can be specific to individual production rather than generic to a model.

Two points:
  1. That document is dated as 28/10/19 - a very long time ago in the evolution of the e-208 and Peugeot (UK)'s understanding of EVs.

2. It is very easy to test, so make it a condition of agreeing to the in-stock car with the proviso that you'll be rejecting it if it doesn't charge at 7kW on a suitable single phase charge point.
If you post roughly where you are in the country I'm sure someone will be able to let you use their home charge point to check the charge rate even if yours isn't installed in time. Beware testing on public posts as a lot are 3 phase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

The dealer got back to me today and confirmed that the document is incorrect and was withdrawn by Peugeot UK last year following testing of the 11Kwh option in the UK. They suggested it was never actually correct in the first place.

Am I right in thinking that if I go to a 22kW public charger the car would charge at 11kW or do I have to find a 11kW charger to get the benefit?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,711 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

The dealer got back to me today and confirmed that the document is incorrect and was withdrawn by Peugeot UK last year following testing of the 11Kwh option in the UK. They suggested it was never actually correct in the first place.

Am I right in thinking that if I go to a 22kW public charger the car would charge at 11kW or do I have to find a 11kW charger to get the benefit?
It'll draw 11kW from any 3 phase charge point that's able to supply it or more provided that you use the correct lead, e.g. a three phase one rated at 16A per phase minimum.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Just use rapids when out away from home

If you have a home charger, you will always charge there unless you are travelling distance then you will want a rapid

No point paying the prices for 11kw posts when octopus go let’s you charge up at home for 1/5 the price of a public post (1/8 the price of a rapid)

See the info in my signature panel

JJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just use rapids when out away from home

If you have a home charger, you will always charge there unless you are travelling distance then you will want a rapid

No point paying the prices for 11kw posts when octopus go let’s you charge up at home for 1/5 the price of a public post (1/8 the price of a rapid)

See the info in my signature panel

JJ
Thanks for the advice.

I got the car a couple of days ago and so far done two rapid charges at MOTO Rugby services which is local to me. Both times from about 30% charge after some motorway journeys. No issues with the charging although on both times I had no idea how much it ended up costing. Couldn't see any total on the screen but maybe I missed it as was rushing. In both cases Gridserve took a £25 authorization on the card which is bit annoying as I think it should only be about £10 each time.

Home charger is being installed next week. I will take a look at octopus go but don't currently have a smart meter.

Tried fast charging a couple of times at local Tesco and shopping centre just to see how it works. Had no problem however the cable included with the car is very thick and cumbersome, more so than the other people that were charging. Possibly a consequence of the 11kwh on-board charger? Takes up a lot of the boot space which is annoying. Probably will leave it at home once I got the home charger installed unless doing a long journey.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,170 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

I got the car a couple of days ago and so far done two rapid charges at MOTO Rugby services which is local to me. Both times from about 30% charge after some motorway journeys. No issues with the charging although on both times I had no idea how much it ended up costing. Couldn't see any total on the screen but maybe I missed it as was rushing. In both cases Gridserve took a £25 authorization on the card which is bit annoying as I think it should only be about £10 each time.

Home charger is being installed next week. I will take a look at octopus go but don't currently have a smart meter.

Tried fast charging a couple of times at local Tesco and shopping centre just to see how it works. Had no problem however the cable included with the car is very thick and cumbersome, more so than the other people that were charging. Possibly a consequence of the 11kwh on-board charger? Takes up a lot of the boot space which is annoying. Probably will leave it at home once I got the home charger installed unless doing a long journey.
11kW charger needs 3 phase cable which is more bulky and heavier than single phase cable.

Before you disconnect at the Gridserve/EH chargers you need to note the energy delivered. The price can only be checked on your card statement. I think there is an option to request a receipt when you disconnect but I hadn’t bothered the few times I’ve used them. It’s a pity as the old Ecotricity chargers always sent you a VAT receipt after a charge.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,711 Posts
however the cable included with the car is very thick and cumbersome, more so than the other people that were charging. Possibly a consequence of the 11kwh on-board charger? Takes up a lot of the boot space which is annoying.
It will be as it'll have 2 extra cores for the extra phases compared to most people. Is it a 6.0mm^2 (hence 32A per phase) or 2.5mm^2 (hence 16A per phase? I'd expect the former to allow you to charge at 7.2kW on single phase charge points so it'll be somewhat chunky.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
847 Posts
For future reference, I always take the data provided by EV-database as a good guide. That suggests that the 11kW 208 will be able to pull full power on any 7.4kW or 11kW charger.

The normal 7.4kW version will be happy on anything bar an 11kW 3-phase charger, where it will only pull 3.7kW.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts