Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visited this Garden centre for the first time today.

Discovered they have 12! free to use Rolec Charge points. - No RFID card required.. Exactly how it should be done.

Great place, and lovely food. Well worth a visit if you are near.. drop by and show your support, as I think I may have been the first to use a point there.

Manager rushed out and took a pic.

Cheers.

http://www.bluediamond.gg/redfields-garden-centre/

photo.JPG

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
They are a chain. Wonder if the others will follow suit.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Can you add this to Open Charge Map?
It's the kind of place that won't otherwise show up on any maps and people like this deserve the publicity.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have updated OCM but can someone confirm if these are all type 2 and 32A?

Also, an exact location would be useful... you can get the lat/long of the charging bays from Google maps if you know exactly where it is.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have updated OCM but can someone confirm if these are all type 2 and 32A?

Also, an exact location would be useful... you can get the lat/long of the charging bays from Google maps if you know exactly where it is.
A chap in the i3 facebook group posted about them the other day so I've just been to check.

He said 12 bays in total with six type 2 32A posts and six 13 amps (although they all look the same in the pic?). He mentioned that he'd spoken to the manager who said that the local authority had made this a requirement of approving the planning permission for the redevelopment.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Thanks for that... I have the postcode from their web site but because I don't know the area myself I can't identify precisely where thesy are... a lat/log got from Google Maps would be good or a description of where they are on the site. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Paul,

Co-ordinates of the points are :
51.254870, -0.846748

There are 12 Rolec points (6 are type 2 32A and 6 are 13A 3-pin 'house sockets)

Cheers.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Visited this Garden centre for the first time today.

Discovered they have 12! free to use Rolec Charge points. - No RFID card required.. Exactly how it should be done.

Great place, and lovely food. Well worth a visit if you are near.. drop by and show your support, as I think I may have been the first to use a point there.

Manager rushed out and took a pic.

Cheers.

Redfields Home of Garden & Living

View attachment 1456
This looks a great idea

·
Registered
Kona64
1,389 Posts
Out of interest .. the 13amp 3pins ..... at a garden centre ? How long would you be there ?
1 hour ? maybe longer if you used the cafe all these places now have ... so 1hr 30 max .... ?
I can understand if it was a park'n'ride, railway--bus interchange etc.

Of course they should get kudos for the a) having them in the first place b) having such a lovely large number of points

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Out of interest .. the 13amp 3pins ..... at a garden centre ? How long would you be there ?
1 hour ? maybe longer if you used the cafe all these places now have ... so 1hr 30 max .... ?
I can understand if it was a park'n'ride, railway--bus interchange etc.

Of course they should get kudos for the a) having them in the first place b) having such a lovely large number of points
Agreed. Although I suspect that they were forced to do this rather than volunteered. The presence of 13amp cheapies also reveals a lack of real understanding at both planning level and installation. A box ticking exercise for sure but despite that it is to be welcomed. Pity that it will only be accessible during open hours too.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You must always remember that its not always about having a full charge.
10amp Granny Lead will give you approx 9 miles of range in 1hour.

That 9 miles may just be the difference in getting to your home / destination or having to wait at the road side for 1hr for a tow truck.

I take my hats off to them

·
Registered
479 Posts
Agreed. Although I suspect that they were forced to do this rather than volunteered. The presence of 13amp cheapies also reveals a lack of real understanding at both planning level and installation. A box ticking exercise for sure but despite that it is to be welcomed. Pity that it will only be accessible during open hours too.
I have only been there in opening hours, but from memory the car park is not gated, so in theory available 24/7.

I haven't been there for several months, so I suppose things could have changed!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts