Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2012 Leaf in the summer. Private sale...never checked heating. So now the weather is cold and I have been trying to solve this issue for a couple of months now. The cold is one thing, but the windows misting up is a safety issue.

So, the fans are working and blowing freezing cold air. No power is consumed when I turn the heat on. I replaced the 12V battery today to rule that out and some fault codes disappeared. I checked the codes again and this is what I am getting.

So, does anyone know what is wrong?

Here's a link to the DTC reading before I replaced the battery if that helps at all. IMG 3119

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a similar panic with my 2011 Leaf, but an electrical connection under the dash came loose. Easily fixed. The key test was reaching arm from passenger footwell to see if the hose was warm - it was. If you can grab the hose whist heating on max and no warmth then could be the PTC is faulty rather than something minor dash side of the heater.

Reactions: LettuceLeaf

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the fault is what it says - your PTC heater circuit is broken. Sorry :(
Old thread on this here
PTC Heater Fault Leaf Tekna 2014
As you're out of warranty and unfortunately this looks expensive to fix by a dealer, it might be worth considering @Mike Schooling who mentions he can fix these. Might be worth it even if it's a bit of a trip.
PTC Heater Fault Leaf Tekna 2014

I'm in Ireland, so Mike is out of the question for a visit. Maybe he might lend a hand from afar if I am lucky.

Is it a case of replacing the PTC heater unit, or is it something else along the circuit that is broken. I can't even seem to find exactly where the PTC heater is and what it would take to replace it.

I had a similar panic with my 2011 Leaf, but an electrical connection under the dash came loose. Easily fixed. The key test was reaching arm from passenger footwell to see if the hose was warm - it was. If you can grab the hose whist heating on max and no warmth then could be the PTC is faulty rather than something minor dash side of the heater.
I will have to try that tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
There's a YT video showing the unit here:
Hope it's the simple solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts