Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Briefly freaked when I noticed 1 green charge light randomly flashing. Quick search confirmed that Eric was charging the 12v. So checked on Ovo and sure enough battery capacity was 0% ! A bit surprising as Eric is only 7 weeks old so wouldn't expect the 12v to need charging, although not been on a long journey for 10 days or so. How often does this happen? Have I just never noticed it before? Refreshed ovo and sure enough battery capacity is now OK. Thanks

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,745 Posts
I'm not sure it is UVO's fault, but it is a possible bug: During aux battery maintenance, UVO reports a faulty battery. This has been discussed here before.

How often? I don't think there is a regular interval... But you can assume that it is checked every 24hrs, and recharged if necessary.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,065 Posts
@Middlewife The battery saver+ feature kicks in whenever the car is disused for 24h. It repeats thereafter at 24h intervals. It is completely normal. The process does not actually 'check' the 12V status, it simply puts it on a CV (Constant Voltage) 14.7V maintenance charge for 20 minutes regardless of it's charge state. The flashing Green light occurs during this 20 minute process every day.

The UVO app (not OVO!) frequently shows the main traction battery as being at 0% when you first open the app. This is a totally erroneous reading. Refreshing the app (often several times) will eventually display the correct battery SOC. This is just one of the many bugs that appear with this terrible app implementation. With experience you will learn to not believe everything it displays, at least not until several refresh cycles. It often tells me my car is not plugged in, when I know it is actually on charge. It says AC failed to start, when it actually did start ok. The list of defects with the UVO app is almost endless. Peter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both - agree UVO is pretty useless; too much energy tarriff shopping obviously getting to me (OVO! :) So UVO only displays the main battery when you check status? Or is there some way of checking the 12v too? I haven't driven the car for a day so that makes perfect sense, thanks. However if the car is intelligent enough, then i can probably take UVO with a huge pinch of salt.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,065 Posts
Thank you both - agree UVO is pretty useless; too much energy tarriff shopping obviously getting to me (OVO! :) So UVO only displays the main battery when you check status? Or is there some way of checking the 12v too? I haven't driven the car for a day so that makes perfect sense, thanks. However if the car is intelligent enough, then i can probably take UVO with a huge pinch of salt.
There is a very rudimentary 12V check on the UVO app. It’s basically good, medium, or bad. Not much use really. Peter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you think the UVO app is bad you should try the original Nissan Connected Services app with the Nissan Leaf 40 - truly dire with exceptional lag as a result of Nissan routing the requests through a Japanese Server and bad design. The only bit which could be done is connect it with Alexa which was quite handy to check battery and start preconditioning via voice

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,745 Posts
I don't agree with others negative opinion of UVO. I am happy with the stipulation "always refresh first". Following that rule, I have never had problems with wrong data/status.

UVO has bugs but it gives me what I want when I need it.

If you open the app "cold", i.e. it hasn't been accessed for a while, it will only show you placeholder data. It will not have any current info, and the worst part is the car/Comms are asleep. Sending requests in the blind like that will have a high chance of failure. So "refresh" first, and once you "hear back" from the car with the latest status, you can be sure the data is correct and the car is "wake". Do whatever after and you will get 100%success rate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts