Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gadget came today for monitoring the 12v battery, one of the £3 jobs off t’net.

For those with them, are you leaving it plugged into the Soul all the time? The manual does not confirm whether the accessory sockets draw current when the car is off, but it does say to not leave things plugged in.

Would be a bit ironic to flatten the battery with a gadget to monitor it!!

I did also charge the 12v battery and it took 45 mins on a top up charge to get the green full light

·
Registered
68 Posts
I leave my volt meter (appears identical to yours) permanently plugged into the r/h 12v socket as it is only live with ignition.
I've not had any problems with battery drain but at least I know that the 12v battery is in good shape and charging correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Surely you would be able to see the v-meter lit up if the socket remained energised after switching the car off. If it goes blank then there is no drain because it's switched off by the 'ignition'.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Used the gadget today, car was showing 11.9v this morning in accessory mode. Jumped to 14.2 when switched on fully. Was up to 12.2v when off arriving at work and down to 12.0 leaving work. Back up to 12.2 getting home this evening.

Thought this sounded low, checked the Leaf and that was 11.9 in accessory mode too. Our ICE was 11.5 after sitting unused all week in the garage. Both the ICE and Soul had a 12v top up with a charger until they got the green light last weekend.

What kind of reading are others getting before fully turning on? Are these readings normal or could both EV batteries be a bit duff. Or maybe the gadget is reading low?

Guess a volt meter on the battery would tell more

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm getting similar figures, 12.2v until fully switched to running mode with 14.4v. As it's only a cheap gadget it should only be used as an indicative measure.
I have the Soul EV spy app so may check to see what the obd2 system reports although I have previously used a volt meter to calibrate against and found it to be accurate enough (given slight fluctuations between readings).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts