Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol i didn't think of that !!

thanks

·
Registered
969 Posts
If a lead acid battery is down so far that it won't work a relay in a leaf, I doubt that what you suggest is a long term solution. Certainly alternators on ICE cars are not up to the job of recharging a fully discharged battery, and I doubt the dc:dc converter in an EV is either. (You don't have them running long enough.)

I suggest a small trickle charge battery charger of 1 to 1.5 Amps. Leave on a couple of days.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If a lead acid battery is down so far that it won't work a relay in a leaf, I doubt that what you suggest is a long term solution. Certainly alternators on ICE cars are not up to the job of recharging a fully discharged battery, and I doubt the dc:dc converter in an EV is either. (You don't have them running long enough.)

I suggest a small trickle charge battery charger of 1 to 1.5 Amps. Leave on a couple of days.

i was more thinking about at work, or in the middle of nowhere

need to jump start it, would a jump starter not work ?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Oh, yes, it would work. Just you don't want to let your 12v get down so far that it needs doing. Trickle charge once a month, and you should have no problems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool !

Cheers

on the subject, would it be good to get something like this, and use this 24/7

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Had one of those solar powered ones for mum's car (an ICE) and it did the job.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
@Tandy0 really meant ;) a battery conditioner rather than a trickle charger - the former will both recharge and improve the health of the battery, the latter only the former.
If you end up with a Gen1 LEAF the DC-DC charger isn't the best and the occasional monthly top up with a conditioner is recommended. For the Gen2 onwards the DC-DC is better but a top up does no harm.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont own an EV yet, so bare with me

Looked in Halfords, cheapest one was about £70
looked in screwfix, toolstation, argos etc etc, all seems to be around £70 mark

I wanted to stick with Ring Automotive, because i find them very reliable

Cant find hardly any of them to buy for some reason

i looked at Ring RPPL 200 and RPPL 300

i just bought the RPPL 300 for £70 delivered, which has been recommended in various publishing's like Honest John and Auto Express

so i thought, even though an EV dosent need that much, but a decent jump starter are around £70 anyway, then i might as well get a decent one, that will work on my mum and dads cars as well as mine, as they have 2L or 3L diesels

mu mum dosent use her car much and it was a faff this morning getting her car started, if i had a jump pack, we wouldn't have need tp spend 2 hours, because the car we were using , had a low battery, so had to run that first as my mums car woulnt start, then had to jump it, then had to run her car....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Tandy0 really meant ;) a battery conditioner rather than a trickle charger - the former will both recharge and improve the health of the battery, the latter only the former.
If you end up with a Gen1 LEAF the DC-DC charger isn't the best and the occasional monthly top up with a conditioner is recommended. For the Gen2 onwards the DC-DC is better but a top up does no harm.
thanks

"if" im at home, i can always use my battery charger on it, as im sure its a conditioner too, but i will check

·
Registered
843 Posts
i was more thinking about at work, or in the middle of nowhere

need to jump start it, would a jump starter not work ?
It's hard to imagine that being required. The 12 Volt battery doesn't drive any high power devices. Mostly just lights etc.. You need some voltage in there to switch the car on, but the amount of power required to do that is probably tiny.

Jump starting an ICE is when there isn't enough charge in the battery to run the starter motor which draws a huge current.

All the serious power in a BEV comes from the main traction battery. And the BEV keeps the 12 volt battery charged automatically. It seems to happen even if you don't drive the car. A dead 12 volt battery will kill your BEV, but a sound battery is never going to run out of energy. I think the 12 volt battery is there just so they don't have to re-specify all the assorted electrics cloned from ICE cars like the headlights and the radio. Also the traction batteries operate at no-nonsense lethal voltages, so it's probably best not to connect them through the general wiring loom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts