Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,161 Posts
It's like having two watches instead of one and suddenly not knowing what time it is ;)

I'll defer to @Eclectic , he is far more experienced than I am with this stuff.(y)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Haha what a good analogy! :ROFLMAO:

I'll wait to hear a few more thoughts from others before proceeding with replacing the battery.

Thanks again,

David

·
Registered
393 Posts
We used to get problems with "normal" car batteries being used in caravans etc as part of split charging systems. The idea was that the alternator would charge both car and caravan batteries in parallel when towing, and then the caravan would run on its own battery when unhitched, so preventing the car being unable to start the next day due to a flat battery.

The problem is that "normal" batteries used for engine starting are not suitable for "leisure" ie. slow discharge to almost empty then fast charge to full - they expect short heavy discharge, then tapered charge back to full. This is exacty the case with the Zoe's 12v battery.

You could (I expect still can) obtain "leisure" batteries that have a different plate composition and structure that is suited to long discharge and charge cycles, but they are quite a lot more expensive.

In your case, I'd replace the battery with the one suggested previously by @yoh-there

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Varta C22 ordered from Battery Megastore @ £61.50 delivered.

Thanks for all your prompt advice everyone, it's so appreciated! :D

David

·
Registered
306 Posts
According to the dealer:
“Service say your next service will be about £352, this includes the service (£75), brake fluid change (£59) and a 12v battery change (£228).“
I've read the complete thread and have seen that you've now decided to leave the battery, and then do this yourself in time, but as mentioned by others the price quoted by the dealer does seem high, although I appreciate it can change for different areas of the country. I've checked a few dealers around me, and the price for the battery change ranged from £138 to £152.

For the future you can use this online booking tool: Renault Service Booking Online . I've never booked by it, but I do use it to compare prices of dealers local to me, and have an idea of the price before ringing. May be interesting to see what price they advertise online for the battery compared to ringing up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Many thanks for the info @kitsi80, that's a useful tool :)

David

·
4,161 Posts
@David Hogg I have no idea about Battery Megastore (diff country;)) but here when they deliver a lead acid battery, they usually will take the old one in for recycling. The only "but" with that is you need a decent delivery time slot and remove the old one an hour before or something like that. I know it's a PIA on one hand, then getting rid of an old lead battery yourself is often not really fun either.

Thanks for the thumbs up :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ah right, I’m not sure they offer this service as the package is just coming via an ordinary courier. We have a very local recycling centre that take old batteries so we should be fine on that front.

Cheers!

David

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Can you refuse a replacement battery at service 3 even if it needs one, then fit it yourself and still keep the warranty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting thread. To get an Idea what state my 2015 battery is in (will be due for replacement this year) I thought I'd get a Quicklynks bluetooth BM2 battery monitor from ebay. £22 here: QUICKLYNKS Car 12V Battery Tester 4.0 Device BM2 BLE Battery Monitor Bluetooth | eBay

I wasn't expecting too much but I've been pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to use. In fact all you need to do at the end of the day is look at the graph it has created of the voltages in the app. Even when your phone isn't connected the monitor is storing the data ready to upload to your phone when you come back to your car so you get a complete picture of the days voltages, here’s the voltage descriptions:

1) Stationary - No Cable Connected - 12.8v
2) Driving - 13.5v
3) Charging - 13.2v
4) Charge lead connected but not charging - 12.8v
5) Driving - 13.5v
6) Stationary - No Cable Connected - 12.8v
7) Driving - 13.5v
8) Charging - 13.2v
9) Driving - 13.4v
10) Stationary - No Cable Connected - 12.9v to 12.8v

And here’s the graph (I’ve added activity numbers along the top):
12v Battery graph with numbers.jpg

I’ve ordered another for my wifes car…

·
Registered
85 Posts
My car is a 65 reg and came with 4 years free servicing / warranty. Does this mean the battery will not be free? How about if the battery fails before the 3 years, can i then claim under warranty? I went on holiday for 2 weeks and the zoe was very upset when i got back, had to drive it at restricted speed (20mph) for a bit and then restart the car to get the battery back to the right level.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,634 Posts
My car is a 65 reg and came with 4 years free servicing / warranty. Does this mean the battery will not be free? How about if the battery fails before the 3 years, can i then claim under warranty? I went on holiday for 2 weeks and the zoe was very upset when i got back, had to drive it at restricted speed (20mph) for a bit and then restart the car to get the battery back to the right level.

The 12v is a consumable item. If you refer back to the post by @Mo on page 1 you'll see he posted an extract from the service book. The top bit is recommendations, the bottom bits are "musts" to preserve warranty.

A 12v battery can fail at any time, you might be able to blag a replacement if its failed within 3 years, but then you'd need to know if its been replaced already at year 3. Bet it wasn't.

My 12v is now 5, and works fine, but as @yoh-there states they can fail suddenly. On an ICE you'd see this as one day suddenly struggling to turn over the engine. On a Zoe you'll see errors and perhaps limited performance.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's not really that the 12V battery fails suddenly. The battery performance degrades slowly over use and time, and the car's systems work harder and harder to compensate for the degradation, till it suddenly can't cope any longer. Then the whole system fails suddenly.

Am I being a bit picky? ;)

·
Zoe Devotee
7,634 Posts
It's not really that the 12V battery fails suddenly. The battery performance degrades slowly over use and time, and the car's systems work harder and harder to compensate for the degradation, till it suddenly can't cope any longer. Then the whole system fails suddenly.

Am I being a bit picky? ;)

One deep discharge could kill a 12v lead acid battery.

·
4,161 Posts
Necrothread alert. All simply FYI and as a reference.

This week I booked the car for it's 6th year service next month through the dealers website. I received a confirmation stating they would do:
  • Standard service B: EUR 85
  • Replace cabin filter: EUR 42
  • 12 volt battery replacement: EUR 195
  • APK (what you'd call a MOT): free
All prices mentioned are including all taxes and stuff. I find this all very reasonable with the notable exception of the 12v battery. That is a crazy amount of money for roughly 10 minutes work and say a EUR 80 battery. Maybe clear a few DTC's, which needs to be done in the B service anyway.

As I replaced it myself about half a year ago, I kindly declined and that was of course no problem at all.

Note: I couldn't be bothered to save another 10 quid while hurting my back doing the cabin filter myself ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
still dont get on why pure EV's still carry a 12v acid battery when they have 40+ kWh high voltage worth of battery on board...
Yeah most cars accessories are designed for 12v (light bulbs, stereos, speakers,etc), but why not just use a new high voltage standard and power everything from the main battery?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
still dont get on why pure EV's still carry a 12v acid battery when they have 40+ kWh high voltage worth of battery on board...
Yeah most cars accessories are designed for 12v (light bulbs, stereos, speakers,etc), but why not just use a new high voltage standard and power everything from the main battery?
Try designing a 400v indicator light circuit, to a safe standard, within the confines of a vehicle. Once you have done that, you will understand why 12v is used. Hint, look under your bonnet and try tracing the HV orange wires.

·
Registered
673 Posts
12V bulbs are cheap and have reasonable thickness filaments, if you go up to 48V, for the same brightness bulbs the filaments have to be significantly thinner and hence the bulbs don't last anywhere near as long. LED's work on 2.2 to about 3.5V depending on their colour, using them with HV requires a fair amount of electronics to drop the voltage. The whole car industry is geared to using 12V, radio's, computers, air bag systems, heater actuators, abs, door locks, electric windows etc. Going HV would just be prohibitively expensive, at the moment it only makes sense for a high power item like the aircon pump to run on the HV circuit. People have been quoted over £1000 for replacements HV aircon pumps, an ICE engine driven unit probably costs £50.

In short, it's far cheaper to install a 12V battery!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts