Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I heard that when the 12 volt battery is replaced, you also have to tell it to the ECU in the car so the car knows the battery has been changed.

Allegedly, it had something to do with how the car should charge the battery, and not doing this could cause the new battery to not get fully charged and eventually fail?

This sounds suspicious to me. Have anyone heard of this? What exactly is updated, and why?
Has anyone changing the battery without getting this done had any issues?

I know in CanZe you can get a Battery Change Advice "soon" or "now", which could be something related. But I have no knowledge what triggers that.

Cheers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
627 Posts
Hi all,
I heard that when the 12 volt battery is replaced, you also have to tell it to the ECU in the car so the car knows the battery has been changed.

Allegedly, it had something to do with how the car should charge the battery, and not doing this could cause the new battery to not get fully charged and eventually fail?

This sounds suspicious to me. Have anyone heard of this? What exactly is updated, and why?
Has anyone changing the battery without getting this done had any issues?

I know in CanZe you can get a Battery Change Advice "soon" or "now", which could be something related. But I have no knowledge what triggers that.

Cheers

I’ve only ever heard this about changing AGM batteries because the way they are charged changes as they age.

As far as I’m aware the Zoe has a standard lead acid battery, you should be fine to just swap it.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,342 Posts
I swapped my battery with no issues last year ( June 2020 ) as it was 3 years old after i watched the video from Matt at go green autos
he sells lots of Zoes and other EVs,in his video there is no mention of the ECU.
Deciding to go for a AGM battery or stick with the standard lead acid battery was harder.
I decided to stick with the standard lead acid battery for £50 a time as i could easy afford to buy one every 3 years then pay £90 plus each time for a AGM battery.

www.gogreenautos.co.uk

link below to battery in video :

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies!
I have seen that video, and it was actually part of the discussion when this subject came up.

The ECU update is supposedly in the instructions from Renault, and done with a software tool call CLIP. Several other makes have similar procedures when replacing the 12v battery. Hmm.

So it got me wondering, if that is true, why do they need to? Is this some kind of built-in planned ageing? Or is it just a matter of resetting some error codes after the power outage when switching batteries?

A google got me this: Battery Disconnect Problems

From that page:
Replacing the battery on some vehicles requires entering the new battery info into the PCM with a scan tool (type of battery, battery serial number and CCA rating). This is necessary because the vehicle's charging system is programmed to gradually increase the charging rate as the battery ages. If the charging rate is not reset back to that for a new battery, the battery may overcharge and fail - or vent toxic hydrogen sulfide gas into the passenger compartment if the battery is located inside the vehicle.

Sounds plausible, but if the charging really was that advanced on the Zoe, would the battery need replacing every three years? :)

I will try to ask my authorized service technician about this when I take the car to service.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks for the replies!
I have seen that video, and it was actually part of the discussion when this subject came up.

The ECU update is supposedly in the instructions from Renault, and done with a software tool call CLIP. Several other makes have similar procedures when replacing the 12v battery. Hmm.

So it got me wondering, if that is true, why do they need to? Is this some kind of built-in planned ageing? Or is it just a matter of resetting some error codes after the power outage when switching batteries?

A google got me this: Battery Disconnect Problems

From that page:
Replacing the battery on some vehicles requires entering the new battery info into the PCM with a scan tool (type of battery, battery serial number and CCA rating). This is necessary because the vehicle's charging system is programmed to gradually increase the charging rate as the battery ages. If the charging rate is not reset back to that for a new battery, the battery may overcharge and fail - or vent toxic hydrogen sulfide gas into the passenger compartment if the battery is located inside the vehicle.

Sounds plausible, but if the charging really was that advanced on the Zoe, would the battery need replacing every three years? :)

I will try to ask my authorized service technician about this when I take the car to service.

So despite the fact that everyone on here says it's not applicable (including the author of CanZE), you've chosen to ignore them. As a matter of interest, why did you bother to ask in the first place if you were just going to ignore the advice?

Reactions: dparr59

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I am not ignoring anything or anyone. And I don't know who everyone here is. I'm sure the battery can be replaced without any update, but I was hoping maybe someone who has access to the service documentation could also confirm if there is anything related to the operation in the ECU. The person that told me that this is a thing was very sure of it and mentioning the documentation and program involved, so you may understand that I am still a bit unsure what to think of it.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,562 Posts
While I do sincerely appreciate the endorsement, I would not want to claim I have the definitive answer to the OP's question, other than that I am fairly sure, simply based on my own observations, that ZOE treats it's 12 volt battery very well and in line with what I read i.e. on Battery-university. Case in point is that my original battery lasted 5.5 years. The issue of "telling" the car it's battery has been swapped has never come up here or in the Dutch forum. Maybe someone who is close to a maintenance visit can ask.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
... The issue of "telling" the car it's battery has been swapped has never come up here or in the Dutch forum. Maybe someone who is close to a maintenance visit can ask.
Could you please tell what, if anything, is known about the battery replacement advice in CanZe? What is that based on, or triggered by?
Thanks

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,562 Posts
Nothing is known, other than that I found this nomenclature for a field in documentation. Given the some "Check Electric System" messages, I had hoped this would give clues but I have never heard of anyone reporting it being triggered. Sorry.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,342 Posts
I used a Autool 12v Battery tester to test my old Zoe battery ( battery was still good but i decided for the sake of £50 to change it )
So my son is using the old Zoe battery to start a 1997 Megane Coupe with out a problem as its the same battery size , Amps , Etc

AUTOOL 12V Battery System Tester Health Checker, Charging Analyzer for Cars, BT360
I paid £30 for it from Amazon in May 2020

Below A lot Cheaper on Aliexpress say £18 plus

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to confirm, I had my Zoe serviced at the Renault dealer and asked the service technician. He said there was no changes or updates needed in the ECU.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts