Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have and 2016 30KWh Leaf and recently got a 7kw smart charger. I'm using the smart charger's timer. I've noticed that everytime the charger cuts the charge to the car at the end of the timed charge window, the third charge indicator on the car blinks for 10 mins or so. I've looked this up, and apparently it means the 12v battery is charging.

I've also tested this with my 13amp EVSE cable, by starting a charge and then pulling the 13amp plug to simulate the end of a timed charge. The same thing happened again.

Is this normal behaviour? Does the 12v battery always get a top up if the charge is interupted at the power source?

Or is it an indication of a 12v battery issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
It's not something I've noticed on my leaf of w similar vintage. Maybe its a sign your 12v unit is getting close to shedding off its mortal coil? The best way would be to know it's voltage at the end of a charge cycle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just tested the 12v battery voltage. It was 12.2v before a 12v top up. I plugged in my charger and then unplugged from the charger first, cutting the power. The 3rd charge indicator on the car flashed indicating a 12v charge. Once it had gone off (a few minutes) I checked the voltage again and it was 12.2v.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've often seen this (3rd light flashes after charging stops) on my 2017 30kW. Don't think it's a cause for concern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

Each time it happens my smart charger errors and it won't deliver charge until the cable has been unplugged and reinserted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts